PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with putting a Watt Meter in line

jhorak101
07-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Can someone help me and tell me the order or send me a picture of a schematic how to connect the coax to the watt meter then to the Leiner amplifier then to the radio, I know the main antenna coax connects to the Watt meter first but after that I am not sure. Right now I have the coax coming off my Maco 5000 antenna connected to the watt meter then out to the radio I do not have the leiner amplifier in line yet.

Thank You

-=GearBox=- AKA DX 202 Base.

BOOTY MONSTER
07-28-2013, 09:10 PM
don't put the amp or anything other than coax between the meter and the antenna . i'd tune initially with just the radio-coax-meter-coax-antenna . get everything acceptable with the basics , and then start adding one thing at a time in line , re-checking with each piece to make sure everything is playing nice together .

JesseJamesDallas
07-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Bootys right, If your tuning the antenna to get the best SWR, just have the radio-meter-then antenna in line...Once tuned then stick your amp in-line and stick the watt meter in-line behind the Amp.

Your antenna will plug in to the meter where it says "Antenna" (or OUT), then a jumper will plug in to the meter where it says RADIO (or IN) then the other end of that jumper go's to the Amp and plugs in where it says "OUT" (or Antenna)

Then the coax running from the radio plugs into the Amp where it says IN (or Radio)...simple.

hotrod
11-12-2013, 06:10 PM
simple way of explain it
you already know antenna coax goes on meter [out]
next =jumper from radio to amp [in]
last isnt hard at all now amp [out] to meter [in]

solarradio351
03-04-2014, 04:18 AM
If you have say a 100w meter and a 500w amp can the amp be run after the meter once tuned ?
Radio to swr/ant matcher to amp to antenna selector ?
I have been told cb, amp, swr, ant switch ?... 351....

Tallman
03-04-2014, 07:58 PM
As long as you don't exceed the watt meters rating. 500 watts through a 100 watt meter is a recipe for disaster. If you are talking about placing it between the radio and the amp I would ask why.

solarradio351
03-04-2014, 10:11 PM
It's a 100w antenna matcher+ swr meter .. would like to keep it but not with the new amp I want , it will melt ! Answer. spend $$ on appropriate matcher to go after amp ? 351..

JesseJamesDallas
03-04-2014, 10:38 PM
It's a 100w antenna matcher+ swr meter .. would like to keep it but not with the new amp I want , it will melt ! Answer. spend $$ on appropriate matcher to go after amp ? 351..
Why do you want to use a antenna matcher? If you set the SWR using a regular SWR meter, there's no reason to use a matcher.

If your Amp does 500w's, then just get a SWR Meter that's good to a 1000w's and be done with it. Once you tune your antenna, there's no need for a antenna matching device.

solarradio351
03-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Trying to avoid redoing fascia panel that its mounted in.. in grant in oz thread... cheers... 351.

222DBFL
03-04-2014, 11:36 PM
Is the watt meter/matcher one of the truck stop type, if so I would recommend not using it at all, IMO they are junk and are very inaccurate and the matcher doesn't work well in my experience. Like posted get a good swr meter and set the SWR corectly and be done with it. The radio shack meters are good meters for the money and can handle the power as well. JMO. God bless.

solarradio351
03-05-2014, 01:15 AM
Thanks 222.. might be a silly question but why can swr/ matcher go after the radio so only standard radio power goes through it then boost after ? Its a galaxy type the one in the pix of the unit next to grant up near ant switch... trying to avoid the re make of fascia board and the recover job.. 2 days work min ! But may have no way out when Texas star arrives .. thanks 222...

PLEASE LEAVE ANY RESPONSE TO ME IN MY THREADS DONT WANT TO TAKE OVER OTHER MEMBERS THREAD WITH MY WOE'S... THANKS351... :-)

BOOTY MONSTER
03-12-2014, 11:49 AM
If you have say a 100w meter and a 500w amp can the amp be run after the meter once tuned ?
Radio to swr/ant matcher to amp to antenna selector ?
I have been told cb, amp, swr, ant switch ?... 351....

if you do it that way the meter will be showing the power from the radio (not the amp) and the swr section won't even see the antenna , it will only see the impedance from the amp . and FWIU a swr meter can't be used to show or tune the input impedance of the amp . always , always , always only have coax between the swr meter and the antenna . you can put a antenna switch after a meter .... but i'd tune the antenna without it and then add the antenna switch . if re-tuning the antenna or troubleshooting changing swr , take switch out to be sure it hasn't developed a problem .

solarradio351
03-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Learn something new everyday ! I was all ways told swr meters read coax length and antenna and everything in between !... not saying that's right but just what I've believed for a long time.. cheers ... 351..

richardk734
03-22-2014, 07:40 PM
What's a watt meter for?

solarradio351
03-22-2014, 07:51 PM
What's a watt meter for?

it's to measure transmitted power...