PDA

View Full Version : New antenna

mond48
11-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Okay, I have a question, I'm going out tomorrow and buying a new antenna Wilson, 1000 or 5000 I'm not quite sure yet but I will be buying one of them.
My CB has a built in SWR meter. So when I pair the antenna to the CB I will go to channel 1 and hit the Mike and then I will go back to SWR and do the same thing and if I have to adjust the SWR do I adjusted. With the button on the CB or the antenna up and down and all I have to do the same thing on channel 40 I hope I have explained this well enough. You understand it. As I said before, I'm doing my best. This is all new to me. I have read so much. My head hurts . Thanks for any help

the caveman
11-11-2013, 09:34 AM
buy an external swr meter and jumper. that will be more accurate than a internal meter.

hotrod
11-12-2013, 06:12 PM
i agree even a cheap 20. 00 meter will be better than the built in one

Tallman
11-13-2013, 03:37 AM
Your best bet on the antenna is to get the Sirio 5000 performer. The Wilson antennas are not as well made as the Sirio antennas. They have the flattest swr curve of any antenna I have ever seen. I run my Uniden HR2510 on it and I can go from 26 MHz to 29 Mhz and don't need to adjust for the frequencies I run. All of the cb band and 10 meter band with no problems. Very few can do that and you can get it rigged up with a magnetic mount.

222DBFL
11-13-2013, 05:27 AM
Agreeed tallman, the sirio just flat out outperforms the wilson or the k40 hands down. I have had all three and the sirio pl5000 performer blows them both out of the water. I have mine magnet mounted and have talked 40-60 miles locally and dx'ing is a blast as I can talk all over the world. I had the k40 before this, and my rx/tx range nearly doubled, I tried the wilson 5000 as well and couldn't get the swr where I wanted it. Bought the sirio pl5000 and 145 mag mount from DNJ radio and out of the box swr was 1.1 on 1 and 1.2 on 40. 20 is about 1.15. This is on 11 meter with the whip placed all the way down. No trimming necessary. I am sure in could get my swr flat with a little trimming but I am pleased just the way it is. My only gripe is that mine is mounted rather high "tip of antenna is at 14ft", and I hit things often resulting in a bent top portion of antenna. Mind you my work can is 8ft 6" at the roof line, so to anybody that is thinking about purchasing one of these and is worried please don't be as I well above what most people will ever run an antenna. Unless you are planning on putting it on a vehicle like mine, a Nissan NV tall back work van, the antenna is the bomb and will out talk a wilson 5000 or a k40 hands down. They cost about the same as a wilson 5000 mag mount or a k40 mag mount. DNJ RADIO carries them and delivers fast. From Cali to Florida in 2-3 days. GOP luck to the poster and god bless.

222DBFL
11-13-2013, 05:30 AM
And do buy an external meter. Any pilot or flying j or TA, will have them, or get one from radio shack, this is the one I use in the mobile, the radio shack meters seem to be a more honest reading than the truck stop meters from my experience and the radio shack meter handles up to 2000 watts. Anyway again good luck and hope you get everything working well. God bless.

Fogdog
11-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Hey 222DBLF, Can those Sirio 5000's be mounted directly on a flat surface like a pickup truck's headache rack? That's how I have my 10k mounted to a heavy S0-239 mount. Just wondering because I like to use 10 meter and ssb. On 10M my SWR is almost 3 at the upper end. I still want to be able to use am,ssb, and 10m. Would I need anything else to mount this antenna that you know of. 73

222DBFL
11-16-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't see why not, they aren't real heavy. And they do sell a hard mount for them, check out DNJ Radio, that's where I got mine from, it works well and have a pretty broad freq range. I don't have the hard mount only magnet, but it's an so-239 connection like a wilson 5000, here are a couple of photos of the mag mount and antenna http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/17/ajevesu2.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/17/abutymyn.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/17/4u8ytuju.jpg[IMG]http://img.tapat

222DBFL
11-16-2013, 11:31 AM
One more of the whole antenna sorry http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/17/6usa2eqa.jpg

Gordon Gekko
11-16-2013, 02:17 PM
The P5000 can be used with a Wilson trunk lip mount as well

Fogdog
11-16-2013, 02:24 PM
I like it. It's pretty tall. It's something I might look into. Depending on how it works on 10 meter, I might just use it for that and leave the 10k on for AM, and SSB. Thanks for the info guys. 73 as always

222DBFL
11-16-2013, 04:12 PM
I think they work okay on 10m, on channel 1 on the cb band is where my swr is at its best and that is with the whip all the way down and no trimming. I get a 1.1 swr or around that on 1 and about 1.2 or so on channel 40. I have heard of others using them for 10 meters. And yes it's tall, taller than a wilson 5000 or a k40 and it's does great on am and ssb as well and dx'ing doesn't seem to be a problem either. The most power I have out through mine is around 300-350 watts. It's a good antenna, much better than the wilson 5000 or the k40 IMO. I have had the others and the sirio has out done them both on tx and rx. Hope this helps and god bless.

Fogdog
11-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks Bro for the info.

222DBFL
11-16-2013, 06:02 PM
No problem hope it helps sir. God bless. Hey been meaning to ask you how is that 955 doing? Is it holding up well? I can't decide between that radio or the rci 2970n2. Choices. Anyway have a great one and god bless.

Fogdog
11-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Yeah Man I'm loving it. I went so many years of so so dx'ing, even with my 29 and a 2 pill. Sometimes I would go days before I made a contact. So much in fact I wondered if my radio was broke. Jeez! Since I got the 955 a couple of months now I guess, I haven't missed a day without a contact. It's unreal. Most of these contacts are on SSB, and 10 meters. I almost never use AM CB much anymore. I never thought I would say that. The radio itself does have what some would call excessive white noise, but it isn't any worse than my Cobra 29 LX, or probably any other radio that employs a SMT board. It never even gets warm. I like most of the features. I don't use the RB or echo, but if you do the RB only works on AM. That's weird. The display is totally cool. You can dim to almost off for night time. It has a VFO, but you will spend a lot of time turning that knob. I wonder how long that will last. I have never got a bad report. The worse was a 57 from Japan. I get the great audio feedback from everyone, even my Bro's the Hammies. My next rig will be a full size HF Radio. I'm saving for that now. This 955 will stay in my pickup, cuz it can do it all, and I really enjoy it. It is my first export, and SSB radio.

222DBFL
11-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Yeah I am in the same boat I am happy with my magnum 257hp and my 2 pill magnaforce 350hd. My next radio is either going to be the 2970 or an alinco sr8t. Choices oh the choices. There are some radios that just look nice and perfo well and the 955 seems to be one, not that I am complaining about my radio, just can't have too many radios lol. Anyway I don't have my ham ticket yet but if work will ever allow it I will get it done. For now i am sticking to am and ssb for now.

Fogdog
11-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Ha Ha , I hear ya man. You can never have enough radios, or antenna's for that matter. I don't plan on putting a amp in the pickup. It does just fine barefoot. I'm studying for my General now. I just got the study guide this week. Give me a couple of month's and I'll go for it. Then Maybe that new radio. I have no idea which one or brand it will be. I guess I have a lot of researching to do, but that's part of the fun.

Fogdog
11-16-2013, 06:36 PM
222, if you decide to get the ARRL study guide make sure you get the latest version. It's 7 right now, but it may change next year. The tech exam isn't that hard. I took a class and it made it even easier. Missed the general by a few questions. Oh well. I was so happy to get that ticket, I think I told everybody. Several times. LOL!

222DBFL
11-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Yes sir I am, I am a cell site tech and work has been busy, i am trouble shooting a lot lately, been all over the place from Michigan back to home in Florida now to the Baltimore, Maryland area within the last 6 months. I will get it eventually though. Thanks for all the responses and God bless, i am talking on am 31 local here in the Baltimore area and these guys are getting mad at me I guess cause they got stepped on. I even tried to call peace and they just keep on, radio Rambos lol. Anyway have a good evening and god bless, maybe in will hear you one day on the radio, 222 in the mobile standing by.

Fogdog
11-24-2013, 06:14 PM
I've decided that my Predator 10k is no doubt the best antenna I've ever owned. I've got it down to around 2.2.1 on 10 meters now, so there is no worry of letting any smoke out of my 955. The 10k is a very broad banded antenna, and I doubt any other beside maybe a 102'' whip could beat it. It's a keeper, and I'm tired of the chase. I've got the best antenna for my radio, and it makes me happy.

the caveman
11-24-2013, 06:34 PM
I've decided that my Predator 10k is no doubt the best antenna I've ever owned. I've got it down to around 2.2.1 on 10 meters now, so there is no worry of letting any smoke out of my 955. The 10k is a very broad banded antenna, and I doubt any other beside maybe a 102'' whip could beat it. It's a keeper, and I'm tired of the chase. I've got the best antenna for my radio, and it makes me happy.
Sweet FogDog! I'm really thinking about get a predator sometime in the near future.

Fogdog
11-25-2013, 02:52 PM
I like it. It's well built, it works great, Kale does a killer job on them, and you can get parts if needed real easy. Oh!, and there made in the USA.

the caveman
11-25-2013, 07:03 PM
I like it. It's well built, it works great, Kale does a killer job on them, and you can get parts if needed real easy. Oh!, and there made in the USA.
Are they good and light? I'm thinking about a single coil on a 17" shaft to go on my tool box.

Fogdog
11-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah they really are pretty light. Strong as heck but light.

the caveman
11-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Yeah they really are pretty light. Strong as heck but light.
Awesome. My toolbox is a little flimsy so I need a light antenna. It will probably be a lot better than that old monkey made I had.

222DBFL
11-26-2013, 10:03 PM
I am like you caveman, got an old monkey made big coil and it's a heavy antenna, might have to give the 10k a try, fogdog where is a good place to order from sir? Thanks for the replies. God bless

Fogdog
11-26-2013, 11:55 PM
I got mine from this place, but you can call Kale the guy that builds them and order from him also. I don't have his number.http://www.johnspredator10kantennas.com/products.html

the caveman
11-27-2013, 06:40 AM
I am like you caveman, got an old monkey made big coil and it's a heavy antenna, might have to give the 10k a try, fogdog where is a good place to order from sir? Thanks for the replies. God bless
222 I had one of the mm-9 antennas and it didn't like to tune well, get out, and its HEAVY. I sometimes wonder how truck drivers still have mirrors when they run them.

Gordon Gekko
11-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Consider a 55r4 . You can get them from Terry or FatBoy. Well made, light, and broad banded.

222DBFL
11-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Yes sir, it sure is a heavy one, it's one of the original monkey made antennas right from the storage unit in Daytona beach, fl I bought mine right from monkey man himself, it was the large 3 wrap coil I believe it's called the big coil or something, it was a good antenna, tuned to 1.1 swr at 50ohms on an mfj analyzer. But like you said its heavy, my plate for it is made of 1/2" cutting board type material 10"X10" square, had it mounted on a 89 jeep Cherokee, about a foot off back end of the roof. I also was running a 1x2 foxy made from Lakeland, fl and a 54 Steele made 8 pill behind it. Did pretty good, had 2 deka unigy 150 amp hr batts. As well, all stock alternator on 12 volt system. That was in 2003. Been a while since I have played with anything big, I am a 2 pill mud duck now lol.

the caveman
11-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Yes sir, it sure is a heavy one, it's one of the original monkey made antennas right from the storage unit in Daytona beach, fl I bought mine right from monkey man himself, it was the large 3 wrap coil I believe it's called the big coil or something, it was a good antenna, tuned to 1.1 swr at 50ohms on an mfj analyzer. But like you said its heavy, my plate for it is made of 1/2" cutting board type material 10"X10" square, had it mounted on a 89 jeep Cherokee, about a foot off back end of the roof. I also was running a 1x2 foxy made from Lakeland, fl and a 54 Steele made 8 pill behind it. Did pretty good, had 2 deka unigy 150 amp hr batts. As well, all stock alternator on 12 volt system. That was in 2003. Been a while since I have played with anything big, I am a 2 pill mud duck now lol.
Oh yeah those are large antennas for sure! I currently have a 4 foot Firstik FS. Its not bad but I want something that can shoot skip a little better. But I'm more of. Mud duck here. I'm running a 10 watt galaxy barefoot!

Fogdog
11-27-2013, 02:03 PM
222, I got that number for ya. Jeez! it's right on the antenna. Duh! Kale at (817) 790-6239 Cowtown Antennas.

222DBFL
11-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks fogdog will be giving him a call here soon. I also am going to get my radio soon it's going to be the 955hp, you and doug at custom cb's, have got me sold on the radio. Keep hearing good things about it and it will also be a good radio for the amp I already have. Thanks much for everything sir and have a Happy Thanksgiving. God bless.

buffalo soldier
06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Please help, and thanks in advance. I have the Wilson 5000 mag mount, it is older now. Thinking of getting the Sirio 500pl.
My question is there any advantage to hard mounting vs mag mount as far as noticeable performance?
Thanks in advance.
I will drill holes. (neatly of course) Again thanks.

buffalo soldier
06-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Mag mount vs hard mount performance wise? Thanks.

222FL
06-18-2016, 06:38 AM
Yes there is. A hard mount will work much better. A good hard mount for the Sirio 5000 series of antennas or many more are the Breedlove 3" one hole mounts. They are made with quality materials and do a great job. They aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. Use good coax. I prefer lmr240 or lmr240uf. Good coax. And bond the vehicle as much as possible. Here is a pic of the Breedlove mount I am speaking of. I've mounted 4 of them on 3 different vehicles. And everyone worked well. At any rate here you go.
And as to why hard mount is better than a mag mount. You get a better bond to the vehicle. Don't have to maintain it like a mag mount. Also many different antennas can be used if you purchase the adapters as well if need be for a different antenna. Find the best location to drill the hole at by using your mag mount. Not hard to do. Most of the time it's a bit forward or back of center of the roof. But a hard mount is definitely the way to go!! 110%. Once it's done you won't have to worry about antenna ever coming off. And also no moisture under magnet and scratching of the roof. When or if you sell the vehicle, plug it with a cheap Wilson gum drop mount. No one will notice!! There are many more antenna options with a hard mount setup as well. But I have found the Sirio 5000 to be pretty close to being as good as a 102" whip and spring. I have been sold on them for a while and recommend them to many people, all of which seem pretty happy with the antenna. I have talked out to 30+ miles on SSB with 10 watts of pep power back to a base. Not base for a mobile. Breedlove mount on top of a ford e350 work van. Radio was a uniden 980 with the power turned down to 8-10 watts pep. At any rate. Just my experiences. There are other mounts that you can buy that are as good as the Breedlove. But I have never had an issue with any I have used or installed either. Easy to work with and one heck of a mount. Breedlove's home page is breedlovemounts.com.
You want the model #804 mount. Shipping is $10. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160618/1b95febc49addec47541ed2870546eb3.jpg
Hope this helps some. Also since there is a variety of mounts that Breedlove sells you can get a different antenna if you so choose to, just make sure you get the correct mount for the antenna you do get. Don't know if I said this, but they have adapters so that one mount can be used with other antennas if need be.
Truly hope this text wall helps.
Research before you buy. And don't skimp out on the antenna system as it's the most vital part other than the radio. Good coax, connectors, mount, antenna, bonding of body panels to frame as well as exhaust system and engine block using flat braid ground straps cut to be exact length. No extra if you can help it. 1/4"-1" ground strap braid will work. Grab some of each size and the proper lugs. Also use NO-OX special "A" on all electrical connections. And anywhere you make a connection to metal as well.
All of this will help ensure you are getting most of the power out of your system and out the antenna. Take your time and do it correctly and I promise you will be happy you did. Especially if you are serious about making things work at their best. JMHO's and again, hope some of this helps and have a good day.
73 and God Bless

I'm just a CB'er, what do I know???

buffalo soldier
06-18-2016, 07:40 AM
Thanks. You were more than helpful, and I'm gonna do the bonding thing to.
Again man, thanks. I'm mounting center roof 1997 Ford Explorer.

222FL
06-18-2016, 08:27 AM
No worries. Just the way I have done a few and all tuned well and had great rx and tx. For anything taller it's pretty much a 102" whip that will outperform it. But not by much at all. Anyways. Be safe, take your time, and have fun. It's worth it to do it right the first time. Bond everything before you tune your antenna as well.
Again, glad to help if I actually did LOL. Good day.

I'm just a CB'er, what do I know???

RAM
12-30-2016, 09:30 AM
Just got to read this I have the Wilson 1000 on my truck and I am quit pleased with it. Got mine out of the box placed it on the roof (magnet mount) and did not have to touch the antenna the swr was perfect.

222DBFL
01-01-2017, 08:51 PM
That is good to hear. Just make sure to keep it maintained as in keeping the water and/or moisture from under the magnet. Yes it happens!! And also watch the coax where it enters the vehicle for any pinching. This will change the impedance of the coax and also give you other issues as well. I prefer the Sirio 5000 antennas, but the Wilson antennas work just fine as well. The old ones did anyways. The new ones did have some QC issues but I think they have been resolved. At any rate, good to hear you got things working.