PDA

View Full Version : cant find anyone to tlk to in the evening

bigcountry183
11-18-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm fairly new to the cb world but I have a cobra 40x cb with a 102 inch whip with a polamar 225 linear and I can't find anyone to tlk too. There are a couple people every now and again but I was wondering if anyone gets on a certain channel at around the same time every night. Its just fun to chat with people I'm around the williston sc area. I have a cb in my truck right now untill I get a base setup but can talk skip pretty well.

the caveman
11-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Have you used an swr meter to make sure your setup performs as well as it can? The 40x isn't the Best radio (I found that out after getting one). Your best bet for a better talking rig cobra 25 or cobra 29 (if you are on a budget) or a galaxy, an external swr meter, and possibly a new microphone if you are using a stock microphone.

bigcountry183
11-19-2013, 04:02 PM
I know its just a radio I picked up for a little while untill I get a better one. And yes I've checked it on the swr meter and it reead pretty good. I have a road king michrophone I picked up for cheap. It sales for 60 but I got it for 15. I'm going to get a new radio pretty soon and I'm just gonna practice putting talk back and all that stuff on the one I have now

the caveman
11-19-2013, 05:05 PM
I know its just a radio I picked up for a little while untill I get a better one. And yes I've checked it on the swr meter and it reead pretty good. I have a road king michrophone I picked up for cheap. It sales for 60 but I got it for 15. I'm going to get a new radio pretty soon and I'm just gonna practice putting talk back and all that stuff on the one I have now
Good deal. The road king mics are pretty good if its the Telex Turner version. The ones that just say Telex which are the new ones arnt that great.

bigcountry183
11-19-2013, 05:27 PM
I was just wondering is adding talk back and roger beep to one is a good idea also? And what else can I do to help me with getting good range on it.

Fogdog
11-19-2013, 07:28 PM
You should be able to get out pretty darn good with the equipment you have there. Channel 28 during the day is good for making some long distant contacts. Don't give up. CB frequencies don't go very far after the sun goes down. Its best during the daytime.

bigcountry183
11-19-2013, 07:29 PM
ok thank you very much

Fogdog
11-19-2013, 07:30 PM
It won't help you get out any better, but some people like that stuff. I would rather see you spend your money on a good peak and tune to your radio. It will make a big difference.

JesseJamesDallas
11-19-2013, 09:31 PM
If your not hearing anyone in your area after dark...Getting a New radio is probably not going to help much...Specially in a Mobile...A base with a good high antenna however will get out better than a mobile after dark, and you would be able to reach out a little farther in your area and might pick up some stations better...Provided they are there to start with.

bigcountry183
11-19-2013, 09:49 PM
O I know that the radio won't help much but I want a new one with more features on it too

JesseJamesDallas
11-19-2013, 10:30 PM
O I know that the radio won't help much but I want a new one with more features on it too
If your looking at a base radio...Get one with SSB...Easier to make contacts on SSB with less watts. I have been talking all over the Country on 38 LSB on my Cobra 2000 GTL barefoot when DX is rolling... Not many locals here tho get on SSB, most stick to AM at night.

the caveman
11-20-2013, 09:17 AM
I was just wondering is adding talk back and roger beep to one is a good idea also? And what else can I do to help me with getting good range on it.
roger beep comes in handy for helping whoever you contact know when your done talking especially when the signal is weak and talkback can help you make sure your speaking good and clear.

Gordon Gekko
11-21-2013, 03:32 PM
If you aren't hearing anyone talking then its because nobody in your area is talking. No amount of money spent on radios, mods, mics, etc will change that.

ducksoupe
09-27-2014, 10:40 PM
The hay day of CB are gone and stations are far and few. Just look in traffic for a car with an antenna. I am putting one of my radio's in my car for smokey reports on 19. I collect some nice CB's and I will only need a 23 channel one for the task.I use to have a few on lower side-band on channel 38; but they started bickering and tossed in the towel. I hear crazies on DX talking to themselves running Amp's.Radio shack stopped selling equipment in the store years ago. Myself and my wife ran a club with 75 members in the late 70's, there was a lot of clubs who got together for dances and coffee meets.Now people text while driving and wrap themselves around telephone poles.