PDA

View Full Version : New Radio Decision

Nick23
12-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Hi guys, I am going to start running some big watts and need some advice. I am thinking a Fat Boy 1x4 or Dave Made. Also, I am going to get a new radio. What radio do you guys think would have the best AM audio and push a 1x4 or bigger amp? Options are, Galaxy 979, General Lee, Stryker 447 or Cobra 29lx Camo with a MOSFET final and a variable power mod. Also, how many watts can you run before you have to bond your entire vehicle? I plan on running a 12 inch shaft Predator 10-K as my antenna.

the caveman
12-17-2013, 10:36 PM
The galaxy 979 is a good radio. Galaxy radios usually have really nice audio and the 979 is packed with good features like SSB and variable power. It's easy to change how high and low the variable power goes by using the pots inside as long has you have a watt meter and know what your doing.

Tallman
12-17-2013, 11:30 PM
There is a schottky diode modification that really improve noise blanking and enhances the receive on both AM and SSB.

Gordon Gekko
12-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Run a properly tuned cobra 29 in front of a davemade 1x4.
There's a reason why you don't see people using a galaxy or Lee at keydowns

Tallman
02-03-2014, 01:38 AM
Oh yeah, the key downs! I love those. Every amp that blows up is a potential customer. 2879's sell for $55.00 retail=$1760.00 + 800 labor= $2560.00 for a 32 pill amp.

222DBFL
02-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Find an old school cobra 29, send it to a good tech and let him know what you are trying to accomplish. JMO. And if you can find one, get an old school gold box Dave made. At any rate, if AM is the only use, stick with the cobra 29 or an old school uniden PC78. And as far as amps go, Dave made, xforce, or custom built comp box by a good amp builder. But remember, running more power like this, you had better have all your ducks in a row. Good antenna system, good coax and coax jumpers, good power and ground wire, both for the radio and amp, and at least one good battery if not an extra one. And also make sure that your alternator is in good condition and is capable of supplying the amps needed for the amp. All these things become larger factors as more power is applied. And as far as bonding the vehicle, you don't have to bond it, but it may help with any grounding issues if any are present. Not saying not to, just don't know if it's necessary with a 4 pill. I have run an 8 pill before in an 89 jeep Cherokee, and didn't have anything bonded. Just make sure that the radio and amp both have good grounding points and you should be fine IMO. Hope you get it all sorted and have some fun!! God bless