PDA

View Full Version : Uniden bearcat 980

solarradio351
01-09-2014, 12:18 AM
I am waiting for my new bearcat 980 to get to Australia
As soon as its hear I will post some pix of it running.
As far as mods go I'm still looking for NEW ideas, as radio
Seems to be hard to add mods too.. Would have liked to have had
Snakeradio tune it before it got hear. More info and opinion's coming
up once it gets hear... Dam fedx...

Fogdog
01-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Start thinking about a good antenna. You can buy the best radio on the planet, but It ain't nothing without a good antenna. What are your plans for the radio? Base/Mobile?

As far as mods, if it has a variable power knob just forgo the mods, and match it up to a good amp, and you'll be talking to us in no time. If you need to have echo, and other strange noises, get a RF Limited 2018 extreme Mic for it. It has everything except a roger beep pretty much.

I don't know your history of Radio knowledge, but on Side band radio, echo's,roger beeps,noise toys, and the 10 codes are frowned upon out here anyway. Don't get me wrong though, a lot of people still use them on SSB, but that don't get much respect, and will not get taken seriously. So you might not get to many contacts that way. Turn all that stuff off, and use some power, and you'll be golden. Just my two cents worth. Take it or leave it.

Gordon Gekko
01-09-2014, 11:34 AM
that radio is SMT. dont even bother opening it up. Internet reviews all in agreement that this radio is not an audio and/or power monster.

Best bet, call a reputable shop and ask what can be done with it and match it up to a good
power mic (Astatic 575-M6) and get an amp if you want power. If memory serves me, that radio has some weird ass mic jack. If thats true and if you arent radio savvy, better off having a tech mire the power mic to the radio.

the caveman
01-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Bulldog has had mods done to his

solarradio351
01-10-2014, 04:49 AM
Bulldog has had mods done to his
Love to know what mods he has ? Saw snakeradio in u tube tuning one !..
Still considering witch antenna to get siro 387 number may be rong and spelling,
but its on ebay.
I was looking at imax 2000 but told they dont like big power, so still open to ideas.
I have got the extreme 2018 xtr and a RM- kl203p for this rig and some small fans
for cooling, also got galaxy swr/power+ ant matcher, new 30amp power supply 9v~16v
I have read some of the chat about there being better amps but this is a cheep start up for me
and if all go's well may buy better one down the track. Oh and setting up as base for now
I live in the bush (Australia) and run on total stand alone solar power set up so a bit limited
but only at night in winter... I don't like some of the features on mike but you don't have to use them
Don't mind the roger beep but endless echo ? What for... I got that mike after reading some good reports
about its power and quality... Friday and still no radio it has taken 1 month so far from USA to oz.....
Global shipping Of eBay's is a joke.. So Monday with any luck, Also just got a uniden 224 this morning in real nice nick so that will be
the mobile for the 4x4..... Cheers Darryl

Fogdog
01-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Waiting is hard to do. It does give you something to look forward to. When you get it, it will be a good day for sure. I was reading up on that radio on cbradiomagazine.com. He was saying it can't be tuned up to much. He syas that RF 2018 extreme will be the way to go with the 980. He also says it's very stable on SSB. He says a small 2 pill amp at least will be a good match. Hope to hear you on the air.

73 from Nor-Cal

the caveman
01-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Love to know what mods he has ? Saw snakeradio in u tube tuning one !..
Still considering witch antenna to get siro 387 number may be rong and spelling,
but its on ebay.
I was looking at imax 2000 but told they dont like big power, so still open to ideas.
I have got the extreme 2018 xtr and a RM- kl203p for this rig and some small fans
for cooling, also got galaxy swr/power+ ant matcher, new 30amp power supply 9v~16v
I have read some of the chat about there being better amps but this is a cheep start up for me
and if all go's well may buy better one down the track. Oh and setting up as base for now
I live in the bush (Australia) and run on total stand alone solar power set up so a bit limited
but only at night in winter... I don't like some of the features on mike but you don't have to use them
Don't mind the roger beep but endless echo ? What for... I got that mike after reading some good reports
about its power and quality... Friday and still no radio it has taken 1 month so far from USA to oz.....
Global shipping Of eBay's is a joke.. So Monday with any luck, Also just got a uniden 224 this morning in real nice nick so that will be
the mobile for the 4x4..... Cheers Darryl
I hope to hear you sometime! Ive never talked to Australia. Ive heard someone in Australia for a second before but I lost them soon after hearing them.

Fogdog
01-10-2014, 07:52 PM
What Make of 4x do you have? I run a 2010 Nissan Titan 4x4 ,5.6 V-8 warmed over a bit. I have the Stryker 955, with a Predator 10K antenna in it. I also have a 2meter/70cm Ham radio in the cab also. No amp yet.

solarradio351
01-12-2014, 05:08 AM
What Make of 4x do you have? I run a 2010 Nissan Titan 4x4 ,5.6 V-8 warmed over a bit. I have the Stryker 955, with a Predator 10K antenna in it. I also have a 2meter/70cm Ham radio in the cab also. No amp yet....
Sounds great,
I have a land cruiser hjz 75 very strong motor been tickled up, just fitted a tipper tray, big alloys rims called outlaws, made in oz..
Will post some pix when I learn how to do it, I'm building a roof console to mount radios in, made from black heart sasafrass..
Cheers...

Fogdog
01-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Sounds killer. Like to see some pictures sometime. How about those Holdens? Is that the correct name of those cars with the V8 and the truck box. I think there made by Ford. Whenever I see one of those in a movie located In Australia I wish I could get my hands on one.
What do you guys think of those down there. Are they popular like the Ford F-150's are up here?

When you get your radio installed , let us know. I always get on 38 lsb and call out for all my Cb Junkie friends in hopes to make a contact with them. I'll add #351 from Australia to the list.

Gerowen
01-13-2014, 12:40 AM
I'll holler for ya sometime then. I'm in eastern Kentucky and sometimes I hop around skip land. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't.

I go by the handle Retro locally, but usually when I'm hollering out into skip land I refer to myself as "redneck radio" or "barefoot redneck radio".

solarradio351
01-13-2014, 05:38 AM
that radio is SMT. dont even bother opening it up. Internet reviews all in agreement that this radio is not an audio and/or power monster.

Best bet, call a reputable shop and ask what can be done with it and match it up to a good
power mic (Astatic 575-M6) and get an amp if you want power. If memory serves me, that radio has some weird ass mic jack. If thats true and if you arent radio savvy, better off having a tech mire the power mic to the radio.

No weird mic plug standard uniden 6 pin comes with 4 pin adapter all the 980 Bearcats do...
Keen to sort a good antenna , any comments on the siro 387? Ring number.. On eBay under $200 ?? They (seller) says its the right
one for dx from oz ????

222DBFL
01-13-2014, 06:18 AM
Check out DNJ radios, they carry the sirio line of antennas. That way you can look at some different ones and see what will work well.

solarradio351
01-14-2014, 04:02 AM
[QUOTE=Fogdog;8855]Sounds killer. Like to see some pictures sometime. How about those Holdens? Is that the correct name of those cars with the V8 and the truck box. I think there made by Ford. Whenever I see one of those in a movie located In Australia I wish I could get my hands on one.
What do you guys think of those down there. Are they popular like the Ford F-150's are up here?

When you get your radio installed , let us know. I always get on 38 lsb and call out for all my Cb Junkie friends in hopes to make a contact with them. I'll add #351 from Australia to the list.

Are you talking about the v8 supercars ? Ford v holden till last year when Nissan and merc's joins in ??
Or movies like MAD MAX had the gt falcons oz made 351 clevo in 1971 fastest production car in the word ?
The black 2 door max drove was a 2 door v8 interceptor..
Wicked movies all of them..
Were they big in the usa ? I have never left Australia.. Cheers Darryl..

222DBFL
01-14-2014, 04:59 AM
Hey 351. Were you on 38lsb the other day?? I spoke with someone down under and it may have been you sir. I am 222 from Daytona beach Florida. Just curious as I did make contact with someone there just didn't have my log book with me to write it down.

Fogdog
01-14-2014, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=Fogdog;8855]Sounds killer. Like to see some pictures sometime. How about those Holdens? Is that the correct name of those cars with the V8 and the truck box. I think there made by Ford. Whenever I see one of those in a movie located In Australia I wish I could get my hands on one.

Are you talking about the v8 supercars ? Ford v holden till last year when Nissan and merc's joins in ??
Or movies like MAD MAX had the gt falcons oz made 351 clevo in 1971 fastest production car in the word ?
The black 2 door max drove was a 2 door v8 interceptor..
Wicked movies all of them..
Were they big in the usa ? I have never left Australia.. Cheers Darryl..

Yeah I was thinking of the Ford v Holden's. Did you say Nissan and Mercury joined in? those cars are very cool in my opinion. I didn't think those gt falcons were even real. WOW! That is awesome.

None of those cars ever made it over here. Wish they would have.

solarradio351
01-17-2014, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=tassie devil;8884]

Yeah I was thinking of the Ford v Holden's. Did you say Nissan and Mercury joined in? those cars are very cool in my opinion. I didn't think those gt falcons were even real. WOW! That is awesome.

None of those cars ever made it over here. Wish they would have.

That's just so cool that they are known that well.. A xy gt falcon can fetch over 100.000
At one stage my shed and drive had 7 gt falcons parked up
I will get some pix out and put them up 4 you.. Yes Nissan and Mercedes have started
Up with v8 supercars no wins yet .. Big motersport fans this way .. Still have 1 gt left we keept the xa 4door gt falcon
Its a rpo83 witch means it has phase 4 parts fitted to it by factory , the Phase 4 never got built as too many young
Blokes getting wiped out in stock gt's.. My xa is yellow glow black inside 4 speed top loader 9" diff goes like stink !
Worth big bucks but will never sell it as you could never get another EVER...
Cheers great to hear our mussle cars are loved elswere in the world.. Pix for this are just a must. cheers, Darryl

Fogdog
01-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Yeah well I'm a big Mad Max Fan. That Is sooooo Cool that you have those cars. I would love to see one In person. Maybe next time I'm In Tasmania I'll stop by. LOL!

wi544
01-17-2014, 07:31 PM
this looks like a much better version of the 980,, made by uniden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVilROrDZQY

solarradio351
01-18-2014, 05:07 AM

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS RADIO IS BETTER THAN 980 ? HE SAYS TOP STUFF !
looks the part iv sent an email to find out where I can get my hands on one..
what all is in it ? Can mods be done ? I do like that rig !
THANKS FOR THE TIP...

solarradio351
01-18-2014, 05:10 AM

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS RADIO IS BETTER THAN 980 ? HE SAYS TOP STUFF !
looks the part iv sent an email to find out where I can get my hands on one..
what all is in it ? Can mods be done ? I do like that rig !
THANKS FOR THE TIP...

222DBFL
01-18-2014, 05:11 AM
It should be a better radio than the 980, we will have to wait until we can get them over here in the US. Looks promising, just hope uniden didn't lock this one down like the 980. In would love to get my hands on one as well, just have to wait til they hit the states.

solarradio351
01-18-2014, 05:11 AM
Should say...
What pll is in it ?

222DBFL
01-18-2014, 05:12 AM
If you find out where to get one in the US, let us know!! God bless

222DBFL
01-18-2014, 05:14 AM
Not sure that pll is in it, but Simon is a good reviewer of radios and if he says it's a good radio than it most likely is.

solarradio351
01-18-2014, 05:50 AM
As soon as I hear anything back I will let you know right hear !
We have no problems down under getting gear from UK so if Simons
mate can get one so can we ! Well I'm gonna give it a shot ... 5 weeks still
no bearcat will get refund from PayPal tomorrow, I have had so many problems
with eBay's global shipping , there prices are all over the show for the same item
to top it off 5 weeks USA to Australia ? No way..
So great timing with the info on this new one they also have a new ham radio.
How do I find out what's inside ? For mods or even if they are likely on the near
future ? If someone knows simon the wizard can they ask him as he has seen inside
up close.... Darryl

solarradio351
01-18-2014, 06:14 AM
Hey 222 that may have been me I spoke to Daytona beach last week but dropped out, my hole set up is on solar power so we need the sun.. 73s mate better set up very soon so we will catch up again ( if that was you )
I have been spending a bit of time on 37 + 38 since joining this site and starting to have some good days with more to come as I get better gear... My apple farm keeps me working most days but we love it on the farm.. :-) land down under deals like the top of the world at times. . Cheers

222DBFL
01-18-2014, 06:20 AM
That was you then, good deal I didn't have my log book but the your dx numbers sounded familiar, I am 222 Daytona beach Florida, glad to have made semi contact anyway lol.

222DBFL
01-18-2014, 06:22 AM
And yes I was on 38lsb, had to be you as there was no one else from down under coming in and like I said your dx number 351 is what caught my attention when looking at your profile. Anyway hope to make contact again! God bless and 73's.

solarradio351
01-18-2014, 06:48 AM
We will make an effort to contact you again once I am up graded a bit more.. Had brief contact with Canada border same day as we spoke but not since.. Thanks 222
Cheers.. Darryl

222DBFL
01-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Same here, got canada as well, then heard you. Good deal.

wi544
01-18-2014, 07:44 AM
its a president grant 2, , its not in the usa yet

Fogdog
01-18-2014, 10:34 AM
That's awesome that you guys made the trip. Bummer for Tassie and the radio fiasco.

Gordon Gekko
01-18-2014, 01:23 PM
its a president grant 2, , its not in the usa yet

New president grant looks badass. President rigs always kicked ass.
President George was years ahead of its time. President 2510 remains one of the greats still to this day.

222DBFL
01-18-2014, 03:26 PM
It does look nice for sure, even under the hood is clean!! Hopefully some more radios start showing up here soon. Have heard from rf limited that they are coming with some new stuff as well.

solarradio351
01-19-2014, 03:32 AM
Just found the new President radios for sale on UK eBay..
Both grant and Lincoln next question is witch one to buy the Lincoln would give me some new features that would take some getting to know

Any thoughts on witch one is best ? Cheers

222DBFL
01-19-2014, 05:08 AM
Both appear to be good radios. The Lincoln 2 is a nice radio too. What the price difference between the 2?? The grant looks to be a euro version of the 980. While the Lincoln is listed as a "ham" radio. Both have nice features but there's not enough info out that I know of that shows what both radios are truly capable of doing. Do some research as either would be a nice radio to have IMO. God bless.

222DBFL
01-19-2014, 05:40 AM
Okay from what I see, there are a few differences. First being that uniden built the grant 2 and another company built the Lincoln 2. Do some research before you buy as you now have dibs on either radio per say lol. Good luck and I think you would be happy with either radio. God bless.

nj diesel
01-19-2014, 04:14 PM
I have been considering this radio for some time but have heard about some out of the box only getting 3 watts AM and/or 10 watts SSB. I'm not looking to do an Amp or for super power but just want the radio to work at it's (stock) peak. Is there any way for a layman to check or adjust this or the modulation? The reason I ask is a local ham dealer has given me a fantastic price on the 980 SSB but he doesn't do any bench work to check or adjust the radio. I have researched Bells CB in Florida who will do a complete work-up prior to delivery but the local guy's price is hard to resist.
Also many seem to go with a power mic almost immediately due to low audio output. Is this common with the 980? Which leads me to another question:I currently run an Astatic 636L regular noise cancelling mic. A lot of people seem to like the Astatic D104 power mic. Is there much difference between the D104 and the Road Devil power mic? Or any other recommendations for a power mic suitable for the 980?

222DBFL
01-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Wait for the grant 2 to hit state side, tassie devil go with the grant 2, if you watch all of the vids simon has put out so far, you will see there are a lot of things the radio can do. Looks to be a great radio, can't wait for them to get over here to the US.

solarradio351
01-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Avail on eBay UK now.. The new President grant and Lincoln !
As far as 980 gos ( for the guy about to get one) all reports say not a big power rig never will be get a cheep small amp or get a GOOD TEC to do it.. Dont stuff around with
It or you may do damage or more to it snakeradio or simonthewizzerd is my advice for what its worth

222DBFL
01-19-2014, 09:10 PM
There are a couple techs that have seen over 15 watts pep with the 980, bells cb shop has some videos of tune up reports, doug at Doug's custom cb's is a great tech as well. The 980 is no power house, that's for sure, but all reports say they have clear and clean audio. The grant 2 is a special built radio for president by uniden, and it's a clean radio inside. There are a few vids floating around tassie that shows some interesting features by simon the wizard and he now had some on air vids as well. JMO but I would go with the grant 2 after seeing what it can do. The grant 2 doesn't look to be as locked up as the 980. Good luck with the purchase, can't wait to make contact with you again. God bless and 73's.

222DBFL
01-22-2014, 01:13 AM
Any updates on the radio situation tassie? Might want to get the Lincoln 2 instead of the grant 2, I think it will have a lot more capability. Good luck and hope to hear from you again. God bless .

solarradio351
01-23-2014, 03:22 AM
I would like the Lincoln but someone said not made buy uniden so may not be the same quality inside.. ? Anyone
Know the facts with that ? Have had contact with French President company they gave me a dealer in the Netherlands they will have stock
on Friday they say.. Will get size and weight and tell me post cost ? $100 aust I think it will be... Can't wait !! Got my new power supply
and am ready to go but still running a naked grant ! Going to try to put a pic up of start of set up.... Darryl :-)

solarradio351
01-23-2014, 03:39 AM

Hope this works

Fogdog
01-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Does that thermometer say 16 deg F ? that's getting a tad cool.

222DBFL
01-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Thought it was summer time down under??

222DBFL
01-23-2014, 06:59 PM
If that is right, that's cool for sure, been cold here in Florida as well. Getting down to near freezing at night around central Florida.

solarradio351
01-24-2014, 01:59 AM
This is Tasmania ! That's a warm late arvo I think when that was taken.. Had about 2weeks all up of summer type weather, but mostly cold
down this way.. We are very close to Antarctica and south winds are bitter ones. Most nights are 10 c lower in winter. That's 34 ish over there yea ?.. But all good we love
It, In (west ) AUSTRALIA it is stinking hot all the time, that's were I hail from but could not live there... :-) .. I get on 37+38 LSB everyday and
give you all a call.... I set up the fans for my little set up today ( for summer and freak days ) and put the grants face back on, still no meter
in it, hears how it looked a short while ago...

solarradio351
01-24-2014, 02:18 AM
This is the set up for now, the LEDs on top r in a fan the wife thought would look better than the plan minis i asked for.. Oh well.....
Cheers ..
...Solar radio 351... And yes we are a stand alone power system will put pix up soon but should I put in different spot ? ..SR-351

solarradio351
01-24-2014, 02:39 AM

This is the battery rack I put together for the radio room, no mains power were we live, or running hot water yet !! We go to town for a
shower and to do laundry .. we are happy not rich... Cheers to all.... :-)
...Solar radio 351....

solarradio351
01-24-2014, 04:58 AM
So exciting to get email today saying new stock will be in there hands today, night hear and there day is just starting
in the Netherland .. My new radio should be in the post Monday I hope.. Can't wait ! :-)) ye haaaa

222DBFL
01-24-2014, 06:24 AM
What did you get tassie?? Radio wise what did you end up choosing? And I will be listening for you today on 38lsb 222 in the mobile around central Florida. Good day and god bless mate.

solarradio351
01-24-2014, 04:09 PM
I am going to buy the grant first I am hoping Monday is the day I can pay and get in the post Tuesday at the latest , might pay extra for
faster post... Might buy Lincoln next month after doing some homework on it, like ; been told they were not made buy uniden ? Who then
and is it maximum quality ? Again can't wait.. The seller of the 980 did me a favour buy it not arriving now we are getting even better
rig.... Cheers.... Solar radio 351....

solarradio351
01-24-2014, 05:22 PM
38 LSB is flat out busy as.. All radios cranked and trying for USA by the looks
I have no chance with this antenna but trying anyhow ! World radio NSW is very strong...
Skip is raging today, grand canyon, California all strong... Come on cb junkies point a been at
Tassie ?... Solar radio 351...

solarradio351
01-25-2014, 06:03 AM
[QUOTE=Fogdog;8851]What Make of 4x do you have? I run a 2010 Nissan Titan 4x4 ,5.6 V-8 warmed over a bit. I have the Stryker 955, with a Predator 10K antenna in it. I also have a 2meter/70cm Ham radio in the cab also. No amp yet.

This is my old 4bee caveman..before I put the new rims on...

solarradio351
01-25-2014, 06:07 AM

This is what went on it .... Solar radio 351...

Fogdog
01-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Very cool TD. You guys down there have some neat stuff.

solarradio351
01-25-2014, 03:14 PM
Very cool TD. You guys down there have some neat stuff.

Your 4x4 looks just like my little bro"s new toyota hulix.. His is a v6 .. Very nice a huge step up from my old girl... This is the start of the roof
console... Blackheart sassafras ( Tassie wood)1276

solarradio351
01-25-2014, 03:26 PM
This is a chilly morning in my apple farm , winter time

solarradio351
01-25-2014, 03:29 PM
The 4x4 on the block in winter

solarradio351
02-19-2014, 04:31 PM

I MUST THANK YOU FOR THIS TIP .. THE BEST RADIO EVER ! I have one now and just love it.. this tip saved me from another regret... awesome- badass - mint radio.... I'm very grateful for this first look, would never have heard about it without YOUR tip.. cheers mate, Solar radio 351 .. Darryl down under...

redwagon
03-06-2014, 01:17 AM
I would look at the Maco V-quad. Mount it so you can roll the V to horz/vert just by rotation of the rotator. I have seen this work in the past when a fellow CB'r was covered with hills and he used the V to rotate to the signal. Might have a omni to hear then use the V to lock on. I have never seen two V-quad's mounted together but it's just money. Would the terrane around you be flat/open/tree lines ect.? Could always hang a dipole for starters to see how and where to put antenna. Keep track of how the ant. is aimed and try several aiming points with GPS or compass. I am building a antenna here with son-n-law. We have calculated the angles to aim at each other. There will not be any tall problems but the angle does go by the local airport property. His elevation and mine are about the same so no angle correction may be needed.