PDA

View Full Version : DX Number

Gerowen
01-13-2014, 12:53 AM
So I get that a DX number is some kind of identifying number that's unique to the individual, but I'm kind of lost as to where they come from. Do people make them up? Are there guidelines surrounding them? Are they issued from the FCC to HAM operators and are the people who have them just HAM operators who have tuned into the 26-27 Mhz range?

222DBFL
01-13-2014, 05:30 AM
Most people make them up. Use a number that is your lucky numbers, bday, or any combo of numbers that are easy for you to remember.

stealth
04-01-2014, 02:06 AM
i have been wondering about this for a long time . i had a theory that truckers used them as a way to relay what highway they were on , guess i was wrong about that .now i suppose i will have to come up with my own , thanks for the info 2222dbfl

JesseJamesDallas
04-01-2014, 06:55 AM
Numbers are the same as handles...unique numbers to identify by...

Something to think about when picking a number to go by on the air...

Pick something no one else has..."triple 5, double nickel, 007, 747, have already been taken by at least 6 dozen people..."

Try and stay with no more than 3 numbers...like 346,785,903....Too many numbers makes it harder for the receiving station to pick up on if the conditions are not all that good..."Keep'em short"

When talking DX, I always like to use my handle and my number, this way if conditions are not all that good, if a receiving station can't make out your handle, least they might be able to catch your numbers...

222DBFL
04-01-2014, 07:01 AM
JJD nailed it!!! Thanks much sir. 222DBFL, we're standing by. BTW, JJD, you venture onto SSB much?? I don't have the AM station that I used to have, but I can talk ssb pretty well, been hearing Texas and talking to a few guys from there lately. I am working around SW Florida, from Tampa to Naples. Maybe I could try to give you a shout, I know you can talk this way lol. Anyway, thanks for breaking it down for the poster and god bless.

JesseJamesDallas
04-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Been getting on SSB late in the afternoon when DX is rolling out of Australia. .. Haven't tried the SE much mainly because I haven't had much conditions on AM that way... Might just give it a try this afternoon after I get home tho... Be around 6 or 7pm your time..

halfwatt959
07-29-2014, 08:42 PM
I went with 2&3/4. Something stupid and diferent but catchy.

Tallman
07-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Some times a person just picks some numbers that just sound cool. I have been using "555 triple nickel" since 1969.
Some use the area code of where they live, 512, 817, 303 etc.

NY714
08-01-2014, 08:11 AM
So I get that a DX number is some kind of identifying number that's unique to the individual, but I'm kind of lost as to where they come from. Do people make them up? Are there guidelines surrounding them? Are they issued from the FCC to HAM operators and are the people who have them just HAM operators who have tuned into the 26-27 Mhz range?

Just use a number that has some sort of meaning to you personally, like my number came from the 70's when it was common "714" Then I joined the World Radio Club and was able to make certain contact around the world, now I have become officially "World Radio 714" actually someone in California had already taken those numbers so really I am officially "2WR-714NY" but I prefer the other one and rarely do I hear the original from California.