PDA

View Full Version : my first base plan

the caveman
02-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Well I have my little base radio, some Fiberglass antennas, connectors, and odds-n-ends laying around so what do you guys think about this type of antenna? Ive been putting a lot of thought into it and this is what I want to go with for a base antenna for now.

JesseJamesDallas
02-10-2014, 11:51 PM
what did your swr look like?

the caveman
02-11-2014, 08:10 AM
This is just a picture I found and it gave me the idea to put one up. I'm planning on building one sometime..

the caveman
02-13-2014, 09:30 AM
ive got it built. not exactly the same as the one in my picture but its done. i need to get a power supply and then i will let you guys know how it works.

halfwatt959
02-13-2014, 01:01 PM
I seen antennas in attics before. I guess if you have to go stealth they work. I dont know enough about it to say but I wonder if it effects the performance any? I would think that the roof may cut down on some of the power but I dont know if anyone does I sure would like to know.

Silverado 996
02-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Right caveman! Dude..take the battery out of your truck and hook up your radio and test it out. What does your SWR look like?

the caveman
02-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Right caveman! Dude..take the battery out of your truck and hook up your radio and test it out. What does your SWR look like?
The antenna definitely works. I can use it just by holding it. Here are some pics of the "guts" of my antenna.

JesseJamesDallas
02-14-2014, 11:05 AM
How are you planing on hooking the coax up?

the caveman
02-14-2014, 01:03 PM
How are you planing on hooking the coax up?
Hooks to the stud on the left.

halfwatt959
02-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Is the other leg just a reflector or does the ground hook to there? I have 36' more or less of rg11/u that I belive is 75 ohm I would like to make a dipole out of but aint sure about impedence mismatch. I did have a land-matic antenna matcher but it died and I haven't replaced it yet. So my dipole plans are on hold for now.

the caveman
02-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Is the other leg just a reflector or does the ground hook to there? I have 36' more or less of rg11/u that I belive is 75 ohm I would like to make a dipole out of but aint sure about impedence mismatch. I did have a land-matic antenna matcher but it died and I haven't replaced it yet. So my dipole plans are on hold for now.
The one on the right is another fiberglass antenna that is grounded to the mount. It works as a groundplane.

redwagon
03-13-2014, 11:15 AM
The antenna you show is the exact version I use on my truck. I just found a new radio doctor and he was saying why not do this to that steel whip and add the downward antenna for the rest of the dy-pole. Talk about ears I got them now. I do not use amp. to help the receive or send. My passion is to qrp with low vol. Good job and thanks for the picture.

the caveman
03-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Halfwatt, the antenna on the right works as a ground radial. it is a generic 4ft fiberglass antenna that i have completely grounded to the mount by removing the insulator and the guts to the so-239 have been missing for awhile so i used it as a spacer. i have changed it around so that the ground radial is horizontal instead of vertical. the top antenna, which would be my transmit antenna, is a 4ft Firestik FS series. the swr's tune out very low and i talk to locals which are 10+ miles from me consistently.

redwagon
03-14-2014, 10:37 AM
The antenna I was looking at is call "peg leg". I found this data on a search of antennas. I copied a fellow cb-junkie locally where he uses a 102" steel rod for the send tx and then rx is shorter and I used a spare antenna to made the down vertical part. I did not measure anything but the rod used was a k-40 4'. The down antenna is connected to the ground side of the whole antenna and ends with a heavy ground of size 8 wire. I did not take the coating off in that when you are in the woods some people like copper wire better than you do. There is a sign that warns of "this truck has rattlesnake at times so do you feel lucky PUNK". The cameras are running so get busy or leave the area. Sorry this could be your lucky day. Here on Rocky Top there are some snake handling people.

halfwatt959
03-15-2014, 06:35 AM
I love the rattlesnake sign Mr. Red. I used to have one that said WARNING PROTECTED BY HUNGRY PIT BULL WITH AIDS. Never had a problems with thieves when it was up. until someone stole the sign. Go figure.

redwagon
03-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Nice. Why does it have to be that way. "When you are good as we are it's hard be humble "

SiCk_DiAbLo
10-27-2015, 10:36 PM
So how did the antenna work out??...I was thinking about doing a dipole that looks similar...