PDA

View Full Version : MotorMouth Maul Skipping into Eastern Kentucky After Dark

Gerowen
02-11-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm down here in southeast Kentucky and heard Motor Mouth Maul mixed in with several other people as skip was fading out this evening. I've heard him before much louder and clearer, but it was well after 8 PM and the sun was down, which usually means skip should have been dying out. Must have been the cloud cover or something where we're supposed to get some snow in the next day or so. Since I'd never recorded MMM before I figured I'd let him know that he makes it out to southeast Kentucky even after dark if the conditions are right.

Edit: Just so you know I wasn't trying to be anti-social or anything, but other than replacing the meter bulb with an LED this radio is 100% stock, which means I'm doing less than 10 watts, so I knew trying to get back to him was not an option.

http://youtu.be/jAwAE95sQG0

the caveman
02-12-2014, 06:40 AM
I hear him a lot. He's running some serious power and does some very log distance talking. Ive tried to get back to him barefoot many times but its hard to do with all the other stations out there talking to him.

222DBFL
02-13-2014, 12:40 AM
It might not be so much power that is being used, it's his antenna system that is large, and the mauldulator and rack gear he uses. Not saying he doesn't have some power, but he has one heck of an antenna setup.

Shoestring
09-27-2016, 12:19 AM
I have to say that yes with a 75 foot tower and a big set of beams he's running he should be able to get out on the airways and yes he has a big amp as well.

Shoestring 673

Shoestring
09-27-2016, 12:22 AM
MMM always sounds good when he is just up the road.
Shoestring 673

Shoestring 673

222DBFL
09-27-2016, 03:37 AM
I think we have spoken before Shoestring. I may have you down in my log book. That is if you get on 38lsb. Your handle just sounds familiar to me. Anyhow, have a good one and have fun DX'ing while you can!! It's almost dead! Just sporadic stuff these days!! More local chat that anything.
Anyhow, again, have a good one and have a good day as well.

222 Daytona Bch., FL, saying 73 and God Bless

FATKAT
09-27-2016, 05:59 AM
Skip was nuts yesterday afternoon around here. I made contacts to Oregon and Southern California around 4:30pm. It got quiet by 5:30 or so and I was in bed by 8 so I don't know if it came back around late.

Shoestring
09-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Yes I think we have talked before on the airways I've got a big station with over 200 channels and a big tower not as big as MMM but it's up there around 60 feet.

222DBFL
09-29-2016, 01:28 AM
I got some DX in today as well FATKAT. It was crazy for a bit there on 38lsb. And when I moved to 27.405 to have a qso i must have had 10 people calling me LOL!! Good stuff. Maybe there is some hope for the fall and winter moths after all!![emoji106][emoji106]