PDA

View Full Version : portable / camping crate

wi544
03-02-2014, 11:31 AM
had some spare time this weekend so I did some work on my "camping crate radio" I originally wanted to put everything in an old wood style milk/soda/beer crate but haven't come up with anything local so I decided to just put it in a plastic crate for now just to make sure everything works together.

optima mk3 radio (power set to run the palomar)
clone hm36 mic
radioshack external speaker
radioshack swr/power meter
palomar box
MegaWatt 30 amp power supply(no noise and holds 14v even under a load,, very supprised by this supply!!)
automotive volt gauge

had it up and running last night for a few hours and everything works fine together!
need to go pick up a fan for the palomar but other than that its ready to use

also made a couple antennas to hang in some trees and I made a antenna launcher for about $12 from walmart with a slingshot and fishing reel(tried this out in the back yard and launched a line over a 50' tree with no problem)

Silverado 996
03-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Man that's pretty creative! Nicely done.

solarradio351
03-03-2014, 02:30 AM
That's original ! Do you like the mega watt ? I was talking to John ( the owner ) today ... I am going to give the 80amp a go , two of them ? What do you think of its build quality ? Cheers.. 351...:-)

halfwatt959
03-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Man that is as cool as polarbear tracks. I put a cobra 19 ultra 3 in an Igloo "six pack" cooler with a power wheels battery, 3' jumper drilled a hole thru the side for the coax and mounted a 2' firestick on the side. A neat little local talking rig to take fishing. Given the fact that it will be next to the watter and will eventualy get wet I didn't want to use an expensive radio. Also wanted everything as lite and compact as posible since I have to wade out in the midle of the river to get to my favorite spot. A nice little island almost inacessable except by walking across. Too shallow for a boat to get all the way there. but nice turnhole on bottom side catfish love. I would like to see pics of the ant. launcher. That is a great idea.

wi544
03-03-2014, 10:34 PM
I am very surprised with the megawatt supply, no hash rf noise, fan is quiet, keeps voltage even under a load.. the a/c cord they give is also nice with a built in switch

if my base astron 70 supply ever fails id for sure give the megawatt 80/100 supply a try, ill probly pick up another megawatt 30/33 just to have around

222DBFL
03-03-2014, 11:46 PM
Looks very nice there 544. Heck looks better than most peoples mobile installs. Nice job, I like how you used the plastic crate really it does look nice. That is one nice camping setup for sure!! Job well done sir! God bless and 73's from 222 in the mobile around Daytona beach, FL.

mjd420nova
03-04-2014, 11:42 AM
The wire in a tree is neat but I've used a bow and arrow and gotten almost a mile of wire on each. Loads of fun in the woods(no power lines to worry about) and with multiple wires you could acheive some directional patterns.