PDA

View Full Version : Oldtimer

mjd420nova
03-03-2014, 01:48 PM
This would be more of a confession than an introduction. I began as a volunteer fireman when just 15 and was introduced to a Midland CB as their communications. Found all kinds of people to talk to when not on a call. After learning electronics while in high school I wasn't able to avoid the draft in 1968. In 1970 I got assigned to Hawaii aboard a marine craft and traveled the western Pacific extensively. I was introduced to singlesideband and the wonders of the phaselocked loop. While in the western Pacific I was able to talk to alot of others on what was 27.325 MCS. now known as channel 32. The club of HF International bloomed internationally and exceeded anyones expectations for a clandestine frequency. Worldwide skip was possible and Hawaii was a serious contact for many. I mailed many a QSL card and received hundreds in return. I have all the equipment for a solid state high power station but no antenna to use. The high price of antennas and just a 30 mast continues to keep me off the air. As a now retired field service engineer, communications still remains important but dump the phone. GMRS and FRS offer better short range for the walky-talky crowd (kids) but are useless for anything in rough terrain. Now that I can read the forums I'm sure there'll be more to add.

Silverado 996
03-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Welcome to CBJunkies I'm sure you'll find something of interest in here, lots of good folks wondering about.

Enjoy,
996 and I'm gone!

the caveman
03-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the board!

halfwatt959
03-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Welcome and thanks for your millitary service

Fogdog
03-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the Forum. I was stationed In Oahu, Hi.
from 1988-1992 In the Coast Guard aboard the old USCGC Sassafras. I've been to all of your old stomping grounds probably.

mjd420nova
03-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Had many a happy time up on Mount Tantulus. Was there from '70 to '74. Was the ops officer for the state civil defense when I wasn't deployed. Lived on Namahana, off Waikiki and up off Kinau near the freeway. Favorite pasttime was working skip with a Varmint tube linear from a mobile on top of the Ala Moana shopping center parking garage with just a 102 whip. Had many contacts on Maui, Kauai and the big island and throughout the western Pacific. As a maritime mobile (OE) with access to some powerful hardware (up to 10 KW PEP) I had no problem being heard but you could imagine it would be like throwing a switch and going from a noise level of two and humping to 9's in ten seconds flat. To many to pick out just one.

solarradio351
03-11-2014, 04:04 AM
G'day... Yes im the aussie member of cbjunkies.. Welcome to this great forum its a real find !! Cheers mate ..351 :-)