PDA

View Full Version : Hi Y'all

stang
03-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Been here lurking and learning or so I was hoping. Seems the more I read the more confused I get! lol Yep you guessed it I am new to this world. I've had stock CB's before but don't know $hit about them. I am hoping you all can teach me enough to setup a couple rigs. We (2 daughters and I) live off grid and 2 miles from it and neighbors. I want to setup a decent base station and a couple (3) mobiles. Way back here in the woods in the foot hills of Va we are going to need a bit of power to get out. I recently dug out my 06 china made cobra 29 WX and got a wilson 1000. So at this time that's all I have to work with. Been eyeing a couple galaxys the 959 and 2547. I would like to end up with all AM & SSB shit. Speaking of which I saw somewhere my 29 can have SSB added, but IDK if that was BS. Being a disabled single dad of 2 young girls my funds are limited and am hoping you can help me avoid costly mistakes.

So hoping you all can set this rookie straight. If you guys don't like newbies just say so and I'll haul A$$!

Thanks
Stang

the caveman
03-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Welcome stang. If you are needing a base the 2547 is decent. It drifts around the frequency when warming up but they perform good. You will need a good antenna up in the air so go with a Antron 99 base antenna. rightchannelradios.com sells the radio, antenna, and coax as a kit. BE SURE TO TUNE SWR'S ON ALL SETUPS!

Tallman
03-14-2014, 10:17 PM
Speaking of which I saw somewhere my 29 can have SSB added, but IDK if that was BS. If you guys don't like newbies just say so and I'll haul A$$!

Thanks
Stang

You were being totally BS'd about adding SSB to an AM only radio. We were all NEWBIES at one time or another. I was a Newbie in 1968. We try to teach with out the Preach!

stang
03-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Hey thanks you guys!

I would love some recommendations for better radio's and equipment that won't break the bank. Not set on the galaxys just something caught my eye.

Where should I post for help setting up a system from scratch?

BTW If any of you want to learn how to make it off grid we've been here 6 years and may be able to pass along some info about that.

Tallman
03-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Base radio section, General discussion. I personally like Galaxy radios. The SSB does drift a little at first but they settle right in and work just fine. The drift is not as bad as some brands I've seen. I have a Yaesu FT-890AT that drifts so bad I don't use it at all. Some of the Galaxy radios I have aligned tuned right up and hold the channels just fine.

solarradio351
03-15-2014, 03:56 AM
WELCOME STANG ! we were all newbees at some stage... enjoy the site mate, good guys with some great help.. cheers from down under... 351

halfwatt959
03-15-2014, 06:06 AM
H
owdy Mr. Stang. I am still green as grass myself. I'm learning fairly fast though. Any way I can help I will gladly do so. as far as being off grid that's cool as polarbear tracks. I personaly take pride In being self reliant but these guys are a big help on radio stuff. Actualy a great bunch we have here. best of luck

solarradio351
03-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Hey Stang... I'm a bushy from Australia, we are stand alone Solar powered, its a bit greedy for power if you stay on yapping but uses very little to have on, just the transmit is the user... If I can help in any way let me know I built my solar system from scratch, not fancy just works ! Led lights in cabin use nothing, best thing out the LEDs are awesome lights work well 24v or 12v will even take 48v but too bright then... feel free to ask whatever you want or need to know, I won't have all the answers but may be able to help in some way... cheers mate.. 351 down under ..

stang
03-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Tallman
Thanks Do you work on radios for others. Like if I bought one could I send it to you to have it gone over?

Halfwatt

How ya like that 959? Thats on my short list of possible radios. Have you done anything to it?

Solarradio

I read your posts about getting your new radio I would love to know more about it. Also I saw where you don't have hot water. I just finished building a rocket stove water heater for our place. I posted a bunch of pictures of the build on another forum. http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/country-living-forums/alternative-energy/507052-rocket-stove-water-heater-build-pic-heavy.html It will heat fifty gallons in about an hour or hour and a half from 50 to 150 F off less than a five gallon bucket full of wood.

We have a 5000 w inverter and one hell of a battery bank. Not nearly as many panels as we need but hope to get some more this year.

Thanks Everyone

solarradio351
03-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks Stang.. Will have a look at that for sure, sounds like your pretty set, few panels to add and you will be laughing ... do you use led lights ? Big saving of power and real kind to battery's ... cheers mate .. 351... this site is awesome and has some gold as far as people go, Tallman has been a big help to me, and would have forgot more than I know.. lol.. cheers stang, off to see the pix would love a big tub... oooooaaahhhh.... Solar Radio-351 deep South Tasmania .....

stang
03-15-2014, 04:21 PM
You bet. No we're using CF lights they work okay. That water heater gets hot fast enough you wouldn't have to plumb it to a tank it could easy handle being an on demand type setup. A hand full of yard twigs will heat five gallons in 10 min.

Yep the people here sound helpful and cool, I'm enjoying it so far. Doing more reading than posting.

Stang Out

solarradio351
03-15-2014, 04:25 PM

They are truly a fantastic radio.. if you get the export one has 40ch am FM upper and lower ssb then with a small tweek that anyone and I do mean anyone can do you end up with 10 bands with 40ch on each band , covers 26.500 to 28.+++ very rough numbers off top of head , witch is not a good head at the moment.... It is the best radio I have ever owned ! Would HIGHLY recommend them while still available...

stang
03-15-2014, 04:32 PM

They are truly a fantastic radio.. if you get the export one has 40ch am FM upper and lower ssb then with a small tweek that anyone and I do mean anyone can do you end up with 10 bands with 40ch on each band , covers 26.500 to 28.+++ very rough numbers off top of head , witch is not a good head at the moment.... It is the best radio I have ever owned ! Would HIGHLY recommend them while still available...

Cool do you still have a link to where you got it? Wonder can they be shipped here?

Thanks
Stang Out

solarradio351
03-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Great heater Stang, how's the yuppy with the comment " new materials would turn out better end product " What a waster he would be one of the throw away dudes that I gather up useful bits from... all my cb set up is recycled apart from the units and switches, waste bothers me most things can be reused ... WELL DONE STANG !..... 351....

solarradio351
03-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Hi again...not sure how to do a link but if you email.. Info@pjbox.com.uk or WWW.pjbox.com.uk mark your email to ; RON let him know your a member hear and we have spoken, I recommend him because he is very helpful .... 351..

stang
03-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Hi again...not sure how to do a link but if you email.. Info@pjbox.com.uk or WWW.pjbox.com.uk (http://WWW.pjbox.com.uk) mark your email to ; RON let him know your a member hear and we have spoken, I recommend him because he is very helpful .... 351..

I found one of your other threads and found it. THANKS I also just found out an old friend has a galaxy DX 88 that's been worked over a bit. He want's 300 usd for it not sure that's a good deal. I'm not sure about buying used either which sucks. I buy or get everything used because I am able to fix or repair it. But unfortunately that's not the case with radios as I know nothing about how they work. I feel weird just saying I don't know how something works. lol When it comes to electronics I'm lost.

Stang

solarradio351
03-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Tallman is a gun ! Have not known him long but very knowledgeable man and will give you rock solid advice on the galaxy's. He knows them very well... 351..

222DBFL
03-16-2014, 06:06 AM
300 is way too much for a galaxy 88. More like 100-150 max. I wouldn't spend more than that. 150 max if the radio is mint. I bought a galaxy 55v for 60. It's in good condition as well. For 300 you could probably get a decent new radio. Look around. JMO. The galaxy radios are good radios, but they do tend to drift.

stang
03-16-2014, 10:32 AM
300 is way too much for a galaxy 88. More like 100-150 max. I wouldn't spend more than that. 150 max if the radio is mint. I bought a galaxy 55v for 60. It's in good condition as well. For 300 you could probably get a decent new radio. Look around. JMO. The galaxy radios are good radios, but they do tend to drift.

I thought that was to much myself. I had no idea how many new things were to choose from. All the exports and 10M stuff. Think I'll take my time and get a base antenna up while using my 29 and decide as I go.

Thanks
Stang

222DBFL
03-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Oh yes for 300-500, you can get a nice radio. Look around, the optima mk3 is a good radio, the alinco sr8t is a good radio, and there are several others. Rf limited is supposed to be coming out with some new radios as well. Another radio is the stryker 955hp, but seems lately quality control has gone south a bit on the stryker radios. The rci 2950 or 2970n2 are good radios as well. Like I said, take your time and shop around, Doug's custom cb's, DTB Radio, Bell's cb shop, these are good techs, they sell all the radios I have listed above and do good work, the optima mk3 is a simple jumper swap I believe to convert it for 11m use, you can get them off eBay for 300. They are a really good radio from all the things I have read and heard. Anyway, good luck and hope you find what you are looking for, don't be afraid to ask as there are some very knowledge filled guys on the forum. Another person that is a good tech is a member of this forum and goes by Tallman, PM him and he can probably set you up with exactly what you want. God bless.

stang
03-16-2014, 12:38 PM
222 Thanks

Yes I have talked with Tallman some. Seems like a real good guy. I think from all the info you great folks have been giving me I will start off by playing around with the cobra 29wxnwst I have now. While I get a base antenna setup. Seems like working from the top down might be the way to go. Meanwhile I will keep reading and learning.

Since I can't resist tinkering with things looks like I'll tinker with my radio etc. I have a multi meter from harbor freight their high end unit not the two dollar one. What other meters and such are needed.

Thanks
Stang

solarradio351
03-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Swr if the rig has not got built in.. that's what I'm doing right now ! Antenna position and tune critical ! Must be right ... a good monitoring set up for your battery's that you can see while on the radio was important for me too.. 351.. glad you like the site mate ! Some very nice guys ere and few months ago I was rubbishing those that have " Friends " they have never met... ha ha now I am one of them because I've got good mates I've never met right hear.... cheers Stang...

stang
03-16-2014, 06:58 PM
The SWR are okay at best 1.1 on 40 and 1.3-1.4 on 1 I adjusted the antenna up till it's almost out of the set screws. Wilson 1000 Have it centered on top of my 98 cherokee Mag mount.

Thanks
Stang

222DBFL
03-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Try moving your antenna toward the rear of the Cherokee, may help some. It will make it more directional, but may help with the swr readings. I know when I had my 89 Cherokee setup, my antenna was about 12-18" from the rear of the truck. I used a good quick disconnect brass mount and a old school single coil monkey made, swr was 1.1 at 50ohms on a analyzer. Was a talking machine. Anyway just some food for thought, it may help, it may not, but it won't hurt to try. God bless.

stang
03-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Try moving your antenna toward the rear of the Cherokee, may help some. It will make it more directional, but may help with the swr readings. I know when I had my 89 Cherokee setup, my antenna was about 12-18" from the rear of the truck. I used a good quick disconnect brass mount and a old school single coil monkey made, swr was 1.1 at 50ohms on a analyzer. Was a talking machine. Anyway just some food for thought, it may help, it may not, but it won't hurt to try. God bless.

Sure won't hurt to try. I've got an 89 too 6" lift & 33's it's gotten a little long in the tooth with 240,000 miles.

Stang

222DBFL
03-16-2014, 07:50 PM
I loved mine for radio stuff, as they don't have a bunch of electronics.

solarradio351
03-17-2014, 06:05 AM
Stang, I hot email today saying pjbox is out of stock of Grant11... All sold out.. 351... got mine up and going, hope to hear from you one day.. Cheers... ;-) SR-351 down under...

stang
03-17-2014, 06:56 AM
I loved mine for radio stuff, as they don't have a bunch of electronics.

My 98 doesn't like my cobra. every time I key up the idle drops and it tries to cut off in the lower channels not so much above 15.

Thanks
Stang

stang
03-17-2014, 07:05 AM
Stang, I hot email today saying pjbox is out of stock of Grant11... All sold out.. 351... got mine up and going, hope to hear from you one day.. Cheers... ;-) SR-351 down under...

It's okay right now I am playing with my cobra 29. In the next few weeks I hope to get a base antenna up. Once that's up and working I think I'm going to get a Galaxy I really like the 2547 but money may decide I have to settle for a 959. Think I'll have it worked over before I get it. While I am going to try and mod this old 29 I'm not going to try on a brand new radio. Don't know if I'll ever have the power to reach you as I don't have any plans for a box at this time. I use to talk to Sidney 20+ years ago from a mobile with a 102" and homemade by a friend 1000w box. So you never know.

Stang

halfwatt959
03-18-2014, 07:14 AM
Howdy Stang. I love my 959. I haven't done much to it yet. Just a mild tune no big hop-ups yet. When the warranty runs out I have big plans [dreams perhaps] for it. Unlocking the clarifier, 10k switch, receive upgrades ect. Not real interested in maxing out the pwr because personaly I would rather have the clean audio with less watts and let my 2speed power glide put the fire out. Not that I have anything against the hi-pwr radios just want mine to sound almost studio quality and not mudded up with overmodulation

stang
03-18-2014, 07:27 AM
Thats great sounds like the same kind of setup I am after. Clean clear and loud. No echo or noise needed for me! I'll play with this 29 to see what does what. But once I order a Galaxy I plan to hire the work done. I still like the look of the 2547 but have a hard time justifying the extra cost just for looks. If this weather doesn't clear out soon I might go insane before spring gets here. lol

At least once I get a base setup I'll have someone besides my kids to talk to.

Stang

halfwatt959
03-18-2014, 08:00 AM
I'm sure you know but you can get a THEORY OF OPPERATIONS for your radio from cb tricks.com. That will help ya a lot. Go to the radio info page click Cobra and scroll down till you find yours and click on it. Should be in the service manual. Hope it helps. 73s

stang
03-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks 959 I had been on cb tricks before but didn't know that.

Stang