PDA

View Full Version : New Galaxy 959 what would you have done?

stang
04-01-2014, 06:40 PM
I am planning to buy a new Galaxy 959 later this month. Looking for ideas what should be done as far as upgrades.

My ideas so far looking for more want to have everything done before I have it shipped.
1) tuned peaked and aligned.
2) schottkey diodes for receive
3) RFX 150

Question will the 959 have enough power to work that RFX 150 from what I read they need 40-45 watts going into them to work correctly with full output power? I also read the RFX can be setup with adjustable power which I would like to have.

Anything else that could or should be done? Not interested in an echo board.

This radio is actually going to be setup as a base station. Looking at the gainmaster antenna. Anyone here used one? The radio will be run off of a battery bank since we are off grid.

Of course I plan to have Tallman set everything up since he is the guru on this site. :)

Thanks

wi544
04-01-2014, 06:45 PM
get the clarifier unlocked If you want to try and stay on freq on ssb, those radios drift all over,, and just get an external amp,, this way if something happens to the radio your not out a radio and amp

stang
04-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Good point on the clarifier thanks I had forgotten that one. I like the idea of the amp on the radio. That way if I need to use the radio in more than one location moving it's not a big process. Might get an external also down the road.

Thanks

the caveman
04-01-2014, 09:00 PM
The rfx is a good idea. The stock mics are not the greatest so maybe upgrade to a powered desk mic. These little mics are good for a starter and pack a good punch.
http://www.starelectronicsandcommunications.com/workmanmighty2000mbm44pindeskmicrophone.aspx

Gordon Gekko
04-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Rfx is a waste. Get an amp if you require more power.
The radio will drift until its warmed up. Do not unlock clarifier, no reason to unless you feel like sliding all over the place on TX.
Get it tuned and aligned. Buy an Astatic 575-M6 mic and call it a day.

222DBFL
04-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Find yourself a good 2 pill amp, preferably one that has 2879 toshibas and is at least biased b. JMO.
And like posted get a good alignment done. Try to stay away from the peak an tweak techs and use a good tech, there are a couple on here that do good work, like tallman and the man who posted as well Gordon. Anyway good luck and hope you get it sorted. God bless and 73's.

Gordon Gekko
04-03-2014, 05:44 AM
Be careful with the 959 And mods...its a slippery slope. There's million modifications out there for that chassis...yet only a handful are truly useful. Just do a simple Google search for Galaxy 959 Mods and you'll see exactly what I mean. They are good talking radios with decent power. A good tune (tune being the operative word here--not bastardization) and alignment, maybe a few other little things and that radio will quickly become one of your favorites.

I had a 959 and had every conceivable thing done to it including Farmer Dave's "Mod Chip". I had well over $300 into it not including the price of the radio itself. I never got that money back when I sold it. An M6 mic pairs up nicely with it, actually an M6 pairs up nicely to any radio because it was the greatest handheld power mic ever produced.

stang
04-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks Gordon,

Do you also work on radios? What do you recommend for an amp?

Gordon Gekko
04-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Nah i don't work on them, I only dabbled with some of my own stuff. Amp wise I like DaveMade

stang
04-03-2014, 12:43 PM
oKay thanks

222DBFL
04-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Tallman does work on radios and is a forum member. He can do the work on your radio. As far as amps, Dave made or xforce. If you can find an old real JOKER amp, made by peekaboo, you will have a good amp as well.

stang
04-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Tallman was going to do it but he said he's kinda busy and doesn't want to take on anything else right now.

222DBFL
04-03-2014, 07:55 PM
There are other techs that you can send it to as well like Doug's custom cb's or DTB radio, bells cb shop. Just to name a few, all great techs and won't hack a radio up.

stang
04-03-2014, 08:02 PM
There are other techs that you can send it to as well like Doug's custom cb's or DTB radio, bells cb shop. Just to name a few, all great techs and won't hack a radio up.

Yep had seen bell's does right much. Just wish there was somewhere local but there's nothing around here. Right now I have emails out to a few places to see who will give me the best package deal for everything I want to get. May or may not be able to do that as so far H&Y is the only place I know of that carries the Siro Gainmaster antenna.

222DBFL
04-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Did you try DNJ radio for the antenna they are the other sirio dealer for the US.

NY714
04-04-2014, 06:02 AM
I am planning to buy a new Galaxy 959 later this month. Looking for ideas what should be done as far as upgrades.

My ideas so far looking for more want to have everything done before I have it shipped.
1) tuned peaked and aligned.
2) schottkey diodes for receive
3) RFX 150

Question will the 959 have enough power to work that RFX 150 from what I read they need 40-45 watts going into them to work correctly with full output power? I also read the RFX can be setup with adjustable power which I would like to have.

Anything else that could or should be done? Not interested in an echo board.

This radio is actually going to be setup as a base station. Looking at the gainmaster antenna. Anyone here used one? The radio will be run off of a battery bank since we are off grid.

Of course I plan to have Tallman set everything up since he is the guru on this site. :)

Thanks

Honestly don't like that RFX150, unless really need due to room, better off with separate 2 or 4 pill transistor, with 40-45 out of radio a 4 pill straight transistor with no driving pill will blow awy the RFX150, and using jumper cables will get out much better and see better power on meter plus avoiding any more heat close to radio which in turn shortens life of amp and radio. Tune and Peak, Open Clarifier, Swing Mod, RF Power output Adjustable so can can lower deadkey to 2 watts as high as 6-8 watts (Remember lower deadkey better audio alot of radio's from factory can't go to a 2 watt deakey so has to be moded, 2 watts swing up to 40-45 watts will sound awesome), and Receive mod a must. IMHO. Gainmaster great antenna but can only handle 500 watts max and if upgrade won't be good for a 4 pill or even a hard driven 2 pill. Would consider the penetrator 500 new one in production if want metal or even the Imax 2000 with ground plane if looking for a vertical. Get an Astron Power supply will last forever, I know are costly but worth every penny, no RF leakage which creates all sorts of noises in transmission and audio, battery ok to start if can't afford. Also another good idea is to have 2 separate power supplies one for radio and one for heat especially if get the power supply where you can dial in the amount of volts separately to each piece of equipment, for example the Astron Power supply's can go from 12.5-15 volts and is regulated power supply.

stang
04-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Checked out DNJ radios didn't seem to good on selection or prices. But you never know. Still holding out for my Galaxy although I did pick up a uniden today for 25 bucks. Where is a good place to order an amp for AM & SSB?

222DBFL
04-04-2014, 08:21 PM
The antenna you want is the sirio pl5000 performer or turbo. This is what I use for an antenna and I talk dx every day in my mobile. Good antennas for the money, don't ever skimp out on your antenna system it's the heart of your system, I would be more concerned about a good antenna system before I ever purchase a radio, I am not a big fan of the galaxy radios due to the drift issues they encounter, have am older 55v on the shelf, I like my uniden PC122xl and my magnum 257hp. Both are dead on frequency and both work well with my amp. JMO, do you homework and get a good antenna system, this means good antenna, coax and connnectors, use at least some good rg8x, I use lmr240 and lmr400 for all my jumpers from amp to radio. Believe me, you can have a 10,000 dollar radio, but it ain't shit without a good antenna system in front of it. Like I said, don't skimp out in this area as you will certainly not get the performance you want with a sub par antenna system, and as far as the radio goes, DOUGS CUSTOM CB 's is great and knows the 959 radio well, google some of his you tune vids. He will make that 959 right, just get a good tune and alignment, and have him work the receive as well. Again, this is all JMO. God bless.

stang
04-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Well I went ahead and ordered a base antenna tonight. I agree it is an important part of the system. Still need to order coax and a few other things. It's all good I might just keep using what I have for now and do some more looking first. Galaxy radios may have a few problems but I still like them. Now that I have two radios I am not in as big a hurry to order. So time is on my side again. Need to pick up mast pole and some washers to make guy points this week. Antenna should be here by next friday.

Thanks for you help everyone.

wi544
04-05-2014, 08:28 AM
you can try having a tech set up the radio with the clarifier locked,, but those radios really drift bad and any temp change will throw the freq off. even just the radio warming up will change your freq. your better off having the clarifier opened up so no matter what you can be on freq with everyone else,, just tune the clarifier till everyone else sounds good then you know your transmitting on the same freq as them.

222DBFL
04-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Hey there 544, how have you been?? Haven't heard you much lately. Anyway, that's my biggest quark with the galaxy radios, the drifting, they do have good audio and there are a million tricks and mods for the 959, but I just don't like the fact they drift, and boy some of them do it well lol. Nothing like talking to someone and he is on freq one sec and off the next lol. But anyway, it's JMO. What do I know I am just another CB junkie lol.

NY714
04-05-2014, 10:00 AM
The antenna you want is the sirio pl5000 performer or turbo. This is what I use for an antenna and I talk dx every day in my mobile. Good antennas for the money, don't ever skimp out on your antenna system it's the heart of your system, I would be more concerned about a good antenna system before I ever purchase a radio, I am not a big fan of the galaxy radios due to the drift issues they encounter, have am older 55v on the shelf, I like my uniden PC122xl and my magnum 257hp. Both are dead on frequency and both work well with my amp. JMO, do you homework and get a good antenna system, this means good antenna, coax and connnectors, use at least some good rg8x, I use lmr240 and lmr400 for all my jumpers from amp to radio. Believe me, you can have a 10,000 dollar radio, but it ain't shit without a good antenna system in front of it. Like I said, don't skimp out in this area as you will certainly not get the performance you want with a sub par antenna system, and as far as the radio goes, DOUGS CUSTOM CB 's is great and knows the 959 radio well, google some of his you tune vids. He will make that 959 right, just get a good tune and alignment, and have him work the receive as well. Again, this is all JMO. God bless.

I believe he mean't the Gainmaster Base antenna not the PL Performer, which is an amazing antenna just tried for the first time. IMHO blows away the Wilson 5000, but would go out and spend money to replace if already have the Wilson 5000, because that antenna is good also. But when time to replace go with the sirio pl5000 Performer or turbo amazing bandwidth, nothing to adjust with SWR comes pre-tuned and does practically all of 11-12 meters with lows SWR's. Is about 10 inches longer than the Wilson 5000 but get's out like crazy, never hit so much skip from car as I do with the Sirio. And I use also the Times Microwave LMR-240 for the car and is as awesome as the LMR-400 for the base.

NY714
04-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Well I went ahead and ordered a base antenna tonight. I agree it is an important part of the system. Still need to order coax and a few other things. It's all good I might just keep using what I have for now and do some more looking first. Galaxy radios may have a few problems but I still like them. Now that I have two radios I am not in as big a hurry to order. So time is on my side again. Need to pick up mast pole and some washers to make guy points this week. Antenna should be here by next friday.

Great AM radio's, can't beat them just on ssb they tend to float alot and have to have clarifier opened and keep adjusting as it floats. But as far as AM they are Awesome Radio's.

222DBFL
04-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Yeah, saw that now. I have spoke with him since. He was more interested in coax at this time. I recommended times microwave lmr400uf. That is some great coax, you know if you use it. Some will say it's overkill, but IMO, it's quality!!!

NY714
04-05-2014, 10:11 AM

Shop around and take your time but again stick to the real Times Microwave Coax, there is a huge difference in price on the real coax depending where you buy. Like I mentione MPD Digital is pretty good and sometimes there Ebay site is even cheaper than buying from them directly. Just an excellent company had trouble once or twice with pl-259 at end and they replaced at no charge and didn't even ask me to return the bad one 1!!!!! How many companies will do that today, especially with the cost of Times Microwave coax, they must buy in huge bulk amounts. They always have the best prices, at least from my searches. You WILL NOT be disappoint with the real Times Microwave and will get a lifetime of use and amazing receive with it, almost like having a pre-amp on all the time !!!

stang
04-06-2014, 07:38 AM
I ordered the Times Microwave LMR-400 last night. Thanks for all the help. With that and the gainmaster I ordered I should be good on that end.

Now that I have two radios I have some time to look at other radios. I really like the Galaxy radios but with so many people complaining of the sideband freq. moving around I thinking maybe I should look for something else. What would you guys suggest I look at for a good solid radio. CB, 10 meter, export give me some ideas please. I need one or two more radios to have one at home and one in all my trucks. My third truck F350 stake body I hardly ever drive so not to worried about getting one in there.

Thanks

222DBFL
04-06-2014, 07:55 AM
I have been looking at the alinco sr8t. It's an HF radio, around 500. Not too much more than an export and way more radio, guess my 2nd choice right now would be the optima mk3. This is JMO. Others will chime in I'm sure, but the 2 radios I listed both do well on SSB and am. Don't know what you are mostly into but if it's ssb, I would look at the 1 I mentioned, the optima mk3 does about 50-60watts ssb, 40 watts am. Pep that is. The alinco is a 100 watt radio full power. AES radio supply has them. As far as exports the optima seems to come to the top of the list currently. The stryker 955hp has been having some issues from what I have read, some get good ones and some don't. I know that both the optima mk3 and alinco sr8t are well built. JMO. God bless and 73's. If you want a small radio that can operate off battery packs look at the the yaseu 857ft. It is modify able as well I believe to tx on 11 meters. The other 2 I listed can operate on 11 meters as well with a simple modification that most can do very easily. Don't need a tune and align on any of these radios either, just plug and operate. Again these are all JMO. I run a magnum 257hp myself, but am putting some money to the side for a good starter base/mobile setup myself in the near future and I am probably going to go with the alinco. Check out AES. Google amateur radio supply. They sell some serious radios. Other than that, check eBay for the optima mk3, I think you can get them for about 275. And that is a 10-12 meter radio. Small, compact but well built from all the reviews and people I have spoken with. Couple it with a good mic and you will be good to go. Hope this helps and god bless.

NY714
04-06-2014, 08:24 AM
I ordered the Times Microwave LMR-400 last night. Thanks for all the help. With that and the gainmaster I ordered I should be good on that end.

Now that I have two radios I have some time to look at other radios. I really like the Galaxy radios but with so many people complaining of the sideband freq. moving around I thinking maybe I should look for something else. What would you guys suggest I look at for a good solid radio. CB, 10 meter, export give me some ideas please. I need one or two more radios to have one at home and one in all my trucks. My third truck F350 stake body I hardly ever drive so not to worried about getting one in there.

Thanks

Now it's time for a good antenna switch box so can hook up more than one radio at once. Can beat the Alpha Delpha Switch, just got one myself for popping in another radio if want to hear comparasion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxyKAWiumZQ

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2526

http://www.alphadeltacom.com/

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch/2415.html

NY714
04-06-2014, 08:28 AM
I have been looking at the alinco sr8t. It's an HF radio, around 500. Not too much more than an export and way more radio, guess my 2nd choice right now would be the optima mk3. This is JMO. Others will chime in I'm sure, but the 2 radios I listed both do well on SSB and am. Don't know what you are mostly into but if it's ssb, I would look at the 1 I mentioned, the optima mk3 does about 50-60watts ssb, 40 watts am. Pep that is. The alinco is a 100 watt radio full power. AES radio supply has them. As far as exports the optima seems to come to the top of the list currently. The stryker 955hp has been having some issues from what I have read, some get good ones and some don't. I know that both the optima mk3 and alinco sr8t are well built. JMO. God bless and 73's. If you want a small radio that can operate off battery packs look at the the yaseu 857ft. It is modify able as well I believe to tx on 11 meters. The other 2 I listed can operate on 11 meters as well with a simple modification that most can do very easily. Don't need a tune and align on any of these radios either, just plug and operate. Again these are all JMO. I run a magnum 257hp myself, but am putting some money to the side for a good starter base/mobile setup myself in the near future and I am probably going to go with the alinco. Check out AES. Google amateur radio supply. They sell some serious radios. Other than that, check eBay for the optima mk3, I think you can get them for about 275. And that is a 10-12 meter radio. Small, compact but well built from all the reviews and people I have spoken with. Couple it with a good mic and you will be good to go. Hope this helps and god bless.

I've heard on good things on the "optima mk3" as opposed the Alinco's seems to be lower end ham radio's and alot of my local had to send back to factory for replacements or simple fixes, where as the Optima MK3 is on top of it's class.

222DBFL
04-06-2014, 11:15 AM
The optima mk3 seems to be a great radio, haven't heard of any issues with the newer alinco sr8t's but hey I am no radio expert. I have been looking at them and at some older kenwood radios as well like the ts440s. But yes the optima is a very nice radio and if I didn't have 2 magnum 257hp's I probably would have one of the optima mk3's by now.

stang
04-06-2014, 12:28 PM
I'll probably take a look at them tonight just stopped to grab a bit to eat. Tilling and seeding today The yard today.

Fogdog
04-06-2014, 04:17 PM
My Stryker 955 HP Rules!

stang
04-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Have you done anything to your stryker or is it strait out of the box? I had looked at them little more than I was planning to spend but........................

wi544
04-06-2014, 05:52 PM
the stryker 955 would be a good radio if they could come up with a fix for the AGC problem,,, I had 3 different 955's here and they all had the same problem and no fix from stryker.. so that radio is long gone now

stang
04-06-2014, 06:42 PM
the stryker 955 would be a good radio if they could come up with a fix for the AGC problem,,, I had 3 different 955's here and they all had the same problem and no fix from stryker.. so that radio is long gone now

New here whats AGC?

Thanks

Fogdog
04-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Have you done anything to your stryker or is it strait out of the box? I had looked at them little more than I was planning to spend but........................

I had it peaked , tuned, converted,and aligned. The company I bought it from did that before it was shipped out.

stang
04-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Boy I am I glad I didn't order a galaxy. Since I have been hanging out on 38 lsb I hear galaxy radios drifting all over. Granted I have no idea how my uniden sounds on SSB as no one ever answers. But as I sit listening and can tell when someone comes on with a Galaxy slipping all over the frequency. I am sure other radios do this too but most of the complaints I hear are telling people to get that damn Galaxy off the band. They are loud though. lol

Fogdog
04-30-2014, 08:57 PM
I've never owned one so I can't say anything about them. I know lots of people have them though.

Tallman
05-13-2014, 09:43 AM
New here whats AGC?

Thanks
AGC is Automatic Gain Control. When your radio gets hit with a really strong signal it cuts the gain so the signal does not distort.

Tallman
05-13-2014, 09:50 AM
I've never owned one so I can't say anything about them. I know lots of people have them though.
I have worked on more Galaxy radios than you can imagine. When they get warmed up they are stable on the frequency. Some won't settle down and will continue to drift. The most stable radios I have seen are the Uniden HR2510 and HR2600. Rock steady all day long no matter what the temperature.

stang
05-13-2014, 11:34 AM
I have worked on more Galaxy radios than you can imagine. When they get warmed up they are stable on the frequency. Some won't settle down and will continue to drift. The most stable radios I have seen are the Uniden HR2510 and HR2600. Rock steady all day long no matter what the temperature.

Well I bought that ranger 6900 off roadrunner should be here this week. I'll see how it does I've heard the rangers are real solid on SSB.

Glad to see you back up and posting.

hotrod
05-17-2014, 08:36 PM
u get the gain master yet??

stang
05-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Sure did. It's up & working well.