PDA

View Full Version : Texas Star DX350 Amp

Roadrunner
04-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Texas Star DX350 Amp. It came out of the truck of a long haul big rig driver. I was told it works great but I am selling as "untested" only because I currently don't have a meter that can read over 100 watts. Cosmetically, I would give it a 6 out of 10 so, I am including a new top cover, new face plate, new meter & all new switch lens covers! I am only asking $185. shipped. (The new parts alone cost me almost $40.)

solarradio351
04-08-2014, 05:54 AM
What would that cost shipped to Australia ? Have you looked inside or can you test with no meter in line for audio reports ? Cheers... 351..

NY714
04-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Texas Star DX350 Amp. It came out of the truck of a long haul big rig driver. I was told it works great but I am selling as "untested" only because I currently don't have a meter that can read over 100 watts. Cosmetically, I would give it a 6 out of 10 so, I am including a new top cover, new face plate, new meter & all new switch lens covers! I am only asking $185. shipped. (The new parts alone cost me almost $40.)

Anyone with a Single final radio becareful with the Texas Star DX350 which is a 2 transistor 2879 box. You have to hit that box with a good 20 Plus watts to get a good number out. They would be great for an Export dual final radio but not IMHO a cobra 29, or 148. I just bought one for my 148 and power out was terrible, had to return, because need a driver pill for a single final radio like my Cobra 148 which only did a 2-10 watt swing. Once got a 1x2 box whixh was a 2290 driving 2-2879's then it woke up and seeing much better numbers on the outside based on my Diamond Meter. Just a little info for the forum that I had experienced.

PS - Don't forget if a sideband talker need to have box biased for sideband or sound terrible. needs to be like class B or AB-1, which Texas Star are already Biased for sideband, but if go with the custom boxes make sure to tell them if use for sideband and they can put in relay and bias inside for sideband talking.

Also that price is Excellent if you have a dual final/export radio that can drive the Texas Star 350 DX a great amp (AM and SSB because class AB-1)) just remember to mount a cooling fan on them, they tend to heat up quick like all amps. Usually a 4x4 fan mounted on the heat sink works great. They also have the pre-amp built in which can make good also for the money.

Roadrunner
04-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Sorry, I will only ship within the U.S.

NY714
04-08-2014, 08:52 PM
I do agree that the Toshiba Pills are better and stronger, but if you are not going to volt up the pills above 14.5 volts you may want to consider the DEI pills. There is a strong stories out of china where the Toshiba's are made that they will be a thing of the past soon. Some people are saying they are no longer in production, so whatever is out there is all there is left. RF Parts told me recently they still have plenty in stock, the problem arises that if a year or two goes by and blow a pill, you can't mix the DEI and the Toshiba's. So you will have to replace all the transistor if have the Toshiba's as the DEI have just started and are supposedly the transistor of future replacing the Toshiba's. And again not going to see any more watts out of the Toshiba's than the DEI's only that they are stronger if your volting above the 14.5-15 volts, I have heard from many tech's. So up to you which way to go, just don't think that the DEI's are junk, they are the future 2879's as many say. So depending on your application should really depend which pills you get and if I was getting the Toshiba's, I would buy so extra inventory now while still around at RF Parts because have a strong feeling not going to be able to get them in 6-12 months. FYI. JMO.

solarradio351
04-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Good info mate.. if I get that amp I will buy spare original pills.. how much do they cost ? Maybe you might have cheaper source as I would have to use eBay.. no guarantee with what you get... 351

Roadrunner
04-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Dropping the price to $175. shipped if anyone is interested!

NY714
04-10-2014, 04:53 AM
Dropping the price to $175. shipped if anyone is interested!

Great Price !!!!!

Roadrunner
04-20-2014, 07:16 PM
This is my final offer! $165. shipped!

stang
04-22-2014, 05:49 AM
If you knew for sure this amp worked I would probably be interested. Test it out and and let us know.

solarradio351
04-22-2014, 06:50 AM
Stang.. Won't do ssb without work done to it...

stang
04-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Stang.. Won't do ssb without work done to it...

Damn I thought all the Texas Star amps had the delay built in. Oh well. Thanks for letting me know!

Roadrunner
04-22-2014, 08:07 PM
It does work! I saw it working before it was removed but I am selling as "untested" because I don't have any output wattage numbers to give you.

Roadrunner
04-22-2014, 08:14 PM
YES! It does have the SSB delay built in! It is the yellow button.

stang
04-22-2014, 08:57 PM
YES! It does have the SSB delay built in! It is the yellow button.

I'll let you know in a couple days if you still have it.

solarradio351
04-22-2014, 09:03 PM
If you had made that clear to me you would have sold it two weeks ago ..all good no big drama,..
That's what stopped me thinking it needed biasing for ssb.. if stang don't buy it let me know please...
Your right stang you go for it...

stang
04-24-2014, 04:41 AM
Roadrunner will you guarantee it to work when it arrives? Not asking for for anything more than you to make sure it shows up NOT dead on arrival.

Thanks

NY714
04-24-2014, 05:34 PM
If you had made that clear to me you would have sold it two weeks ago ..all good no big drama,..
That's what stopped me thinking it needed biasing for ssb.. if stang don't buy it let me know please...
Your right stang you go for it...

Texas Stars are all Biased for SSB with the yellow Delay Button

solarradio351
04-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Sorry mate.. back up there somewhere it was said it would need to be biased for ssb.. All good anyhow As far as I know Stang is working on getting this amp from you so all good... 351

stang
04-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Yep I want to get it just have to make sure I have the funds. Waiting on people to pay for work I have done and a couple Items I sold. Hopefully I'll be able to get it tomorrow night.

stang
04-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Do you have a paypal account?

stang
04-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Well guys I bought it. So consider it SOLD.

Now I just have to wait for it to get here.

Roadrunner
04-25-2014, 09:06 PM
**** sold ****

solarradio351
04-25-2014, 09:20 PM
GOOD ON YU STANG... NOW YOU WILL BE DX' ING in no time....

stang
04-25-2014, 09:23 PM
I hope so but first I still need to get my antenna up another 52 feet. Have everything to do it but an extra set of hands. lol

solarradio351
04-26-2014, 02:19 AM
Invent something big fella... pulleys , leaver , rope and tractor with one of the girls driving ?

Good luck mate know to well what 1 man short of a 2 man job is like.. ;-)

stang
04-27-2014, 09:25 AM
If I had some more cleared space I could pull it up as you describe but it's going in the middle of a bunch of trees. We did get it up another 10 ft yesterday. So getting better. Thought there for a minute we were going to break it, got hung up on limbs and bent 90* but it survived.

Now the mail just needs to hurry up.

stang
04-28-2014, 06:49 AM
The amp is supposed to ship out today. Now I have a question or two. I understand texas star amps are power hungry for the amount of amplification they give but they are clean sounding. But I have been reading up on them and the proper power to drive them with. The info is all over the board does anyone know whats right. One place says a dead key of 4 watts or under another place says you need 60-70 watts and everything in between. Don't want to get it and under or over drive it and burn it up.

Thanks for any help.

solarradio351
04-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Stang... Ask the man who knows this product well Tallman... or ring K+Y electronics .. cheers

NY714
04-28-2014, 09:51 PM
The amp is supposed to ship out today. Now I have a question or two. I understand texas star amps are power hungry for the amount of amplification they give but they are clean sounding. But I have been reading up on them and the proper power to drive them with. The info is all over the board does anyone know whats right. One place says a dead key of 4 watts or under another place says you need 60-70 watts and everything in between. Don't want to get it and under or over drive it and burn it up.

Thanks for any help.

Depends on the pills in amp but Texas Star are known to be clean AB-1 Boxes for AM and SSB. as far as dead key and swing any straight 2,4,6 or 8 pill can easilt go 2-4 deadkey. Remember usually the lower the deadkey the better the audio. Then as far as swing depends again on how many pills, but a Texas Star 350 with 2x2879's would be fine swinging to 10-20 watts. Some people do swing 60-70 watts but you will see more on output but shorten life of amp, create alot more heat faster. Usually a must is to add a 4x4 fan on the heat sink anyway to keep cool. But in my opinion 10-20 watts on a swing with a 2 watt dead-key would sound great on a 350 Texas Star. Probably have to have a tech install a swing kit so you can go to a 2 watt deadkey and be able to swing to say 20 or even 30 watts. Stock radio will not usually be able to do that kind of swing, just to keep in mind.

PS - Only on amps when have driving pills in them, then have to be sure to run like 2 watt maximum or will blow up amp. That is why, I personally thing a straight pill box with no driver has alot more applications. Once you start with 1x2, 1x4, or higher with driver pills usually can only use a single final radio and again must run low deadkey like 2 watt maximum and low swing and let the box do the rest. Just one key forgetting to drop the RF Power down and hit a driver box with 4 watts or higher will blow up driver pill is common. Unless say a competition box that was specially designed for higher deadkey. Seen my friend blow up many Texas Star 667, which is a 1x4, and eventually just had the technician disable the driver pill and convert to a straight 4 pill box. Just My Opinion.

stang
04-29-2014, 05:59 AM
Depends on the pills in amp but Texas Star are known to be clean AB-1 Boxes for AM and SSB. as far as dead key and swing any straight 2,4,6 or 8 pill can easilt go 2-4 deadkey. Remember usually the lower the deadkey the better the audio. Then as far as swing depends again on how many pills, but a Texas Star 350 with 2x2879's would be fine swinging to 10-20 watts. Some people do swing 60-70 watts but you will see more on output but shorten life of amp, create alot more heat faster. Usually a must is to add a 4x4 fan on the heat sink anyway to keep cool. But in my opinion 10-20 watts on a swing with a 2 watt dead-key would sound great on a 350 Texas Star. Probably have to have a tech install a swing kit so you can go to a 2 watt deadkey and be able to swing to say 20 or even 30 watts. Stock radio will not usually be able to do that kind of swing, just to keep in mind.

PS - Only on amps when have driving pills in them, then have to be sure to run like 2 watt maximum or will blow up amp. That is why, I personally thing a straight pill box with no driver has alot more applications. Once you start with 1x2, 1x4, or higher with driver pills usually can only use a single final radio and again must run low deadkey like 2 watt maximum and low swing and let the box do the rest. Just one key forgetting to drop the RF Power down and hit a driver box with 4 watts or higher will blow up driver pill is common. Unless say a competition box that was specially designed for higher deadkey. Seen my friend blow up many Texas Star 667, which is a 1x4, and eventually just had the technician disable the driver pill and convert to a straight 4 pill box. Just My Opinion.

Thanks for the great info. The radio I am planning to hook up with it has a 6 w dead key swinging about 18. found some info supposed to be from Texas star saying a 7 w dead key MAX. I don't know weather to take the radio and have it turned down or just let it go as is since it's not very high at 6w.

NY714
04-30-2014, 05:08 AM
It always says that on web but would start with low dead key and work your way up with radio checks. Generally the lower the deadkey the better the audio, but it can swing up to higher watts. Deadkey is just key up with mic gain all the way down no modulation. Once the deadkey is adjusted hopefully can still whistle into mic and go from say 2 watts to 18 watts and let box do the rest and you audio should be awesome. But again use the 2 watt as a starting point and raise up 1 watt at a time and get audio check on loudness and clarity till you reach a sweet spot. Again might have to have a swing kit installed if when dial down to 2 watts and won't swing to the 18 watt point. Sometimes when lower deadkey it will in turn lower your total swing also, that is the purpose of the swing kit. For example my radio the RF Power only adjust the deakey 0-6 watts, I am always swing the same on total watts, but had to be modified for that, and also same swing on SSB if you talk there.

solarradio351
04-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Start low ! Heat is a killer and more in more heat ! Some sound better 1 to 2 w dead key 10w max swing... find the info to turn down the power cbtricks might show you how ?

stang
04-30-2014, 05:48 AM
Thanks NY417,

Guess I need to learn how to adjust this uniden PC-122 . I did all the work on my cobra 29 after finding the info online. Not sure what kits etc are available for this uniden. Still keeping my eye open for a good radio to use for my base station so it looks like I'll get to go through all this one more time.

Good point I'll go check out cbtricks.com Thanks 351

stang
04-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Amp got here today. They did a good job packing it up nice and safe. It is rough looking though. They did include all the new parts listed in the first post. I just dropped it off to have it checked out and new parts installed. Did have to get new light bulbs 1 was out so I stopped at napa and go 4 new ones. Gotta see if I can find some new power wires for it these have been cut & spliced. Which is no big deal but I would rather fix them right. Not sure weather it works correctly or not will know tonight I hope.

stang
05-01-2014, 05:39 AM
Amp works as they said. So good deal. Got to talk my first skip in 20 years last night and conditions were horrible. But had at least 20 people key up calling when I answered a guy from IL, 58 I think. I was amazed to hear everyone calling as no one has heard me in DX land until now.

On the down side my D-104 squeals bad when the amp is on. So now I have to see if it can be fixed. Has no problem without the extra power but with it is terrible. Any ideas?

solarradio351
05-01-2014, 06:06 AM
This is what I was told... Turn down mike gain to half ( on rig ) with mike down low turn on amp and chat away or whistle lift mike vol up till you get full modulation .. then only use mike gain on rig ?
Try that mate thats what i was told apart from the obvious amp on desk next to mike.. sorry if my spelling is bad.. I switched it off phone problems again... ;-) 351

stang
05-01-2014, 07:36 AM
This is what I was told... Turn down mike gain to half ( on rig ) with mike down low turn on amp and chat away or whistle lift mike vol up till you get full modulation .. then only use mike gain on rig ?
Try that mate thats what i was told apart from the obvious amp on desk next to mike.. sorry if my spelling is bad.. I switched it off phone problems again... ;-) 351

This little uniden doesn't have mic gain. tried turning it all the way down on mic still squealed like a stuck pig. lol But I put the stock mic on and no problem. I'll see if the D-104 can be fixed or modified to work with the amp.

Take it easy.

craig_sez
03-07-2015, 12:28 AM
Not sure why he invested in the new parts yet not test the amp..