PDA

View Full Version : Fatboy 5 Pill

CrAzYcUsToM
04-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Looking for a Fatboy 1 (2290) x 4 (2879)

I can pay with paypal or cash if its within nyc or long island.

NY714
04-08-2014, 10:18 AM
will keep an eye out, but would call fatboy directly and custom order. he will get out to you fast and you know what your getting and that wasn't overdriven or abused. But will still keep an eye out for a 1x4 Fatboy. Did you want the relay, pre-amp and biasing for sideband or you are an AM talker only?

222DBFL
04-08-2014, 06:46 PM
I would not order a fat boy. There is another one on another forum, pretty well brand new that had burnt components. It was a 16 pill I believe. Order a Dave made or xforce IMO. And IMO, I would not buy and amp with a driver. Just get a straight 4 pill. No one on the other end will tell the difference with that 1 pill driver, and you won't overdrive the other 4 transistors. JMO. Call up Dave made and get a good 4 pill amp that is properly biased. JMO. God bless.

NY714
04-08-2014, 07:15 PM
I would not order a fat boy. There is another one on another forum, pretty well brand new that had burnt components. It was a 16 pill I believe. Order a Dave made or xforce IMO. And IMO, I would not buy and amp with a driver. Just get a straight 4 pill. No one on the other end will tell the difference with that 1 pill driver, and you won't overdrive the other 4 transistors. JMO. Call up Dave made and get a good 4 pill amp that is properly biased. JMO. God bless.

I will agree that Dave Maid (Can't go wrong) are great also especially for AM talking. But Charger (Fatboy) is pretty close with his also and his customer service is amazing as far if need to get something adjusted and have to return with Fatboy get back in one week or two at most. X-Force have heard of getting things back in like 3 months if have problems, and a few tech's said keep away from the TNT line of amps, due to problems. I totally agree always much better with a straight pill amp as opposed to a one with driver pill, know so many people who blew up the ones with driving pill because the deadkey forgot to lower or the swing was to high. I only went with the 1x2 for the car over the Texas Star 350DX, which is a straight 2 Pill, 2979, because my 1978 Cobra 148GTL was very weak swing and with 2 watt dead key swing to 10 watts wasn't enough to drive the straight 2 pill, as the 1x2 worked out excellent in my installation (Huge different in output on sideband and AM), and I don't plan on changing the radio in the mobile. But a straight 4 pill is much strong and can use with both single and dual final radio's which makes it better, and don't have to worry about forgettng to drop the RF Power and blowing up the box, which is common with 1x4's. So Many of friends have disconnected the driver pill in 1x4 and converted to a straight 4 pill anyway.

222DBFL
04-08-2014, 07:20 PM
And make sure that whatever you order, if possible spend the extra coin and have toshiba 2879's installed and not the DEI's. JMO. It will cost more in the beginning, but in the long run will be worth it as the toshiba's can take a beating. Haven't been seeing that from the DEI transistors. Maybe it's JMO. Anyway good luck and hope you get a good amp.

CrAzYcUsToM
04-08-2014, 09:40 PM
And make sure that whatever you order, if possible spend the extra coin and have toshiba 2879's installed and not the DEI's. JMO. It will cost more in the beginning, but in the long run will be worth it as the toshiba's can take a beating. Haven't been seeing that from the DEI transistors. Maybe it's JMO. Anyway good luck and hope you get a good amp.

I heard about that but wasnt sure.. you just clarified that for me.

NY714
04-09-2014, 06:34 AM
New Pills of the Future:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEI-2sc2290-Power-Transistors-CB-Ham-Radio-/221380454886?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338b4da9e6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEI-sd1446-Power-Transistors-CB-Ham-Radio-/221380449366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338b4d9456

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEI-2sc2879-Power-Transistors-CB-Ham-Radio-/221380457690?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338b4db4da

Gordon Gekko
04-09-2014, 12:08 PM
If you want a Fatboy, why don't you just order a new one directly?

NY714
04-09-2014, 01:00 PM

If referring to me, I already did a couple of months ago and works great compared to straight 2 from Texas Star?

PS - I am not one to buy used equipment, like to know who was had their hands in my Amp or a radio. JMO.

CrAzYcUsToM
04-09-2014, 06:45 PM

It was advice given to me by a good friend but its always good to receive different opinions. I was looking for used because if it breaks down I would be forced to fix it myself.

NY714
04-10-2014, 04:54 AM
It was advice given to me by a good friend but its always good to receive different opinions. I was looking for used because if it breaks down I would be forced to fix it myself.

Yes good advice if you are a tech !!

CrAzYcUsToM
04-10-2014, 06:48 AM
I'm tech savy. But I taught myself how to repair computers and I have worked on custom car mods including hydraulics. As people always say to much knowledge is never enough. You can always teach an old dog new tricks. Its upto him how he uses that knowledge.

NY714
04-10-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm tech savy. But I taught myself how to repair computers and I have worked on custom car mods including hydraulics. As people always say to much knowledge is never enough. You can always teach an old dog new tricks. Its upto him how he uses that knowledge.

Good deal !!! I have to get a little more handy myself when comes to amps, Radio's and mic's.