PDA

View Full Version : Predator 10k help

05-16-2014, 07:05 PM
I am looking to upgrade my antenna. I think I have decided on a Predator 10k. I have two problems.

1. Location. I have an f350 with a utility bed. I can't drill it to mount a puck. I was thinking of installing it on the passenger side of the bed just to the outside of the back of the cab. Will this location work ok? The bed is open.

2. Shaft length. I'm not sure about this at all. My cab roof is 17" higher then the bed.

Hope I gave enough info. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4978319

This is what my truck looks like. I was thinking of installing it on the front of the tool box on the passenger side.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JesseJamesDallas
05-16-2014, 07:48 PM
If it were me...I would get the regular single coil Predator 10K with a 22" lower shaft. It should work perfect on that toolbox where your talking...There's also a 27" shaft you can get, but I doubt you would need that long a shaft since the tool box is sorta high anyway...

One thing also to consider, is going to be the total height of the Predator 10K regular single coil antenna...It tunes around 7', so if your driving around low hanging things all the time like trees or over hangs, that maybe something to consider...

The other Predators like the "Bad to the Bone" and the Dual Coils and the "Comp" dont come with anything longer than a 17" shaft...You can get a longer shaft to stick on one, but it's not recommended because it gets too top heavy with the bigger coils, and is easier to snap off the lower shaft at the base if you hit some thing...(I know...I have a growing collection of broken 22" and 27" shafts!):300 (119):

05-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Where do you measure the 7' from? Bottom of shaft to top of stinger? Bottom of coil to top of stinger? I would like to keep it under 11' 6" from the ground if possible if not no big deal I'll just go around the low bridge in my town.

JesseJamesDallas
05-16-2014, 08:12 PM
from bottom of shaft to top of stinger...7' is about average...Need a good stud mount. Predator has a stud mount which looks real good with the Predator antenna's. I kinda like the one that's a terminal mount. (Not the one that has the screw-on connector for the coax) The screw on type stud mount tends to strip if you over-tighten the coax connector to it...The other one just has two screws, one for the center conductor wire of the coax, and the other for the ground braid.

05-16-2014, 08:14 PM
10-4. Thanks Jesse.

222DBFL
05-16-2014, 08:15 PM
7ft should be total length of the antenna. I know my old monkey made single coil is 7'9". It's a tall sob. And heavy to boot. But a good mount took care of it well. Breedlove brass quick disconnect mount with a 10"x10"x1/2" abs plastic plate with 12 1/4" stainless bolts to be exact.

05-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Would a mount like this work?

http://www.truckers-store.com/store-products-auc2-Accessories-Unlimited-3-Way--Aluminum-Mirror-Mount-w-Lug-Stud_40821428.html

I ask because I have one of these lying around.

JesseJamesDallas
05-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Would a mount like this work?

http://www.truckers-store.com/store-products-auc2-Accessories-Unlimited-3-Way--Aluminum-Mirror-Mount-w-Lug-Stud_40821428.html

I ask because I have one of these lying around.

It will work...just the Predator mounts are tooled to match the shaft of the antenna...what you have tho will work just fine.

05-29-2014, 11:06 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/30/apubeba6.jpg

I get nervous ordering things sight unseen but I have to say this thing looks like one high quality product.

To bad my truck isn't here to install it. Hopefully I'll be back up and going next week.

05-29-2014, 11:07 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/30/apubeba6.jpg

I get nervous ordering things sight unseen but I have to say this thing looks like one high quality product.

To bad my truck isn't here to install it. Hopefully I'll be back up and going next week.

JesseJamesDallas
05-29-2014, 07:29 PM
If you can't get out with that antenna...You need to give it up!:thumb:

Be sure to post up the pictures once you get it all set-up...

222DBFL
05-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Hey JJD, with the shaft being so long on this antenna, would it benefit from a larger mount or surface area for the mount? Or are they pretty light? Never owned one, used to the brick ass monkey made's!! Thanks for any replies. God bless.

05-29-2014, 08:29 PM
Hey JJD, with the shaft being so long on this antenna, would it benefit from a larger mount or surface area for the mount? Or are they pretty light? Never owned one, used to the brick ass monkey made's!! Thanks for any replies. God bless.

It's pretty light.

222DBFL
05-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Good deal 856, JJD Is right though, you can to get out with this antenna, something is wrong. Looks good 856!! God bless.

JesseJamesDallas
05-30-2014, 04:49 PM
You need a decent mount for all the Predator 10K's, just because the large coil is going to catch more wind than something like a 3' Firestick... Any hockey puck type mount or the Predator mounts, or most stud mounts that you can get at any truck stop will work... Main thing is wherever you put your "mount" needs to be solid...In other words, if you was to stick your mount in the middle of your roof, you may need some kind of backing plate to keep the roof from flexing and wobbling around once the antenna is stuck on.

05-30-2014, 05:50 PM
You need a decent mount for all the Predator 10K's, just because the large coil is going to catch more wind than something like a 3' Firestick... Any hockey puck type mount or the Predator mounts, or most stud mounts that you can get at any truck stop will work... Main thing is wherever you put your "mount" needs to be solid...In other words, if you was to stick your mount in the middle of your roof, you may need some kind of backing plate to keep the roof from flexing and wobbling around once the antenna is stuck on.

I got the lug mount. Does a lock washer usually come with it?

06-04-2014, 07:53 AM
Cut about 4" off the stinger and it fell right into a ruff 1.2 tune this morning. I'll get it better after work but this has to be the easiest install I have ever done.

222DBFL
06-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Good deal, now that you have a good antenna tuning becomes a lot easier. I have found this to be he case as well. I hated the k40 mag mount I had, wouldn't tune for crap no matter what you did. Got a good antenna with good coax and mount and tuning was a breeze just like you are saying. Glad to hear you got it working!!

JesseJamesDallas
06-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Cut about 4" off the stinger and it fell right into a ruff 1.2 tune this morning. I'll get it better after work but this has to be the easiest install I have ever done.

with the taller shafts, they usually tune pretty easy and fast, but every install is different, sometimes things don't go that easy.

222DBFL
06-04-2014, 06:54 PM
You are right there JJD, every install presents it's own challenge, having the right equipment sure does help though!! God bless.