PDA

View Full Version : Best radio for recieve/sensitivity

nj diesel
05-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Out of these 3 radios which do you feel has the best receive/sensitivity?
Uniden 980 SSB, the new President Lincoln II, or a Galaxy DX 95 T2 (a co-worker is retiring and wants to sell it).

I borrowed a Uniden 880 and tried in my truck and loved everything except the sensitivity. Anyone further than 3/4 of a mile away was gone......my old Uniden PC78LTW is far more sensitive.
I'm hoping it was just an "off" unit, cause I'm really leaning towards to 980.

I'll try out the Galaxy in my truck to compare soon, but I have no access to a new Lincoln II other than buying and trying.

BTW, my co-worker is asking $250.00 for the Galaxy,no issues, no repairs, he won't need it after retiring. Is this a good price?

222DBFL
05-23-2014, 06:58 PM
The uniden or the Lincoln 2 IMO, but they need to be adjusted properly. They can have an excellent rx when setup right. And good channel rejection on the 980, I have one, it's not a bad radio for the money. No power house, but setup right is a clean radio. JMO.

JesseJamesDallas
05-23-2014, 08:54 PM
I had one of the older Galaxy 95t's (not the t-2) and it had real good receive...Allot of radios can have better receive tho if they are P&T...right out of the box, allot of them will suffer on the receiving end...You can thank the kids in China that build them for that...

The 95t-2 is a $400+ radio, so if the unit in question is well taken care of, and not had a bunch of Golden Screwdrivers stuck inside it, then $250 is not a bad price.

NY714
05-25-2014, 12:28 AM
Can't beat the Uniden Grant XL, old ones from phillipines or the new President Grant 2 and the Version 3 of the President Lincoln 2. Also the old Taiwan Cobra 148 GTL's are awesome, I personally have a 1978 from Taiwan and the receive as good as the Uniden Grant XL. When the noise level is low, it as if the radio isn't working the receive is so quiet.

PS - Besides these radio's being some of the best and stable sideband radio's out there also.

222DBFL
05-25-2014, 12:37 AM
Yep I gave a grant to my brother in law for Christmas this past year and it has great receive. Very good radios both the old side mic 148's and the grant's. I do like my little PC122XL as well. Great little radios!! Heck if the 95t2 that you posted about is still for sale, pick it up, have a good tech do a tune and alignment on it, and you will have a good radio. Never can have too many radios IMO. It's a virus, the CB bug, once bitten, it can't be cured lol. Buying radios and new cb related items will help remedy the symptoms, but there is no known cure!! God bless and hope to hear you on the air. God bless.

222DBFL
05-25-2014, 05:10 AM
Been hearing NY and NJ as well, spoke with 714 in New York and 555 in NJ as well just this morning, so conditions are still around, just have to be awake to get them. Again hope to hear ya soon up in NJ. Get that 95t2, and get talking sir. God bless and have a wonderful Memorial Day.