PDA

View Full Version : Mobile&Base Amp Question(s)

Mistah Gravy
06-06-2014, 03:35 AM
Howdy 'gain guys,I haven't been around much for a while.life has been really busy cause I was out of work for a while on disability due to stupid health crap and then almost a year ago i got back in to work finally and i jumped in head first and submersed myself fully with almost 70hrs a week within a couple of months of getting back.so that's why i've been out but still keep the CB in the SUV to chit chat and hear the skip,or more so the lack of skip,during the day.

questions-
Mobile: i have two amps.the one i want to use in my mobile is a 230w max with 2 Mitsubishi 2879's and right now it only has the positive and negative wires and no fuse. i've had the amps for a long time but never used them much but they have been tested(NickyBots last year)so i do know they work as they should.What do i have to do to connect it in my mobile to get powered properly-connect positive+/negative- to my battery and place a fuse in line but what size fuse should i put in line? and is that all i need to do before hooking it up (connect a fuse)

Base: I also have another no name brand Power Plus 250 which pushes 270w max (also tested by NickyBots).I want to hook it up to my 2000GTL and Antron 99 which I am finally going to put all together this week. Also on this amp are only the positive+/negative- wires. i guess there is no putting a wall plug end on it and plugging it in to the wall huh?(i know,dumb question but, you never know cause some stuff you can do that with). i have a couple of those cheapie Radio Shack 12amp power supplies but i imagine that wouldn't be enough to run it? what size power supply should i get and also what size fuse do i put in line?

thanks in advance for any help that is provided. i just want to make sure i do this right so i have no fires or explosions lol.

222DBFL
06-06-2014, 04:45 AM
I would recommend a 25-30 amp supply minimum, the megawatt 400 is a 36 amp supply that is about 65-70 dollars. It provides 36 amps at up to 15v I believe. Good little supplies for the money. That or a 30 amp astron power supply. This is what is needed for use with the amps and radio you posted. As for power positive to the battery and negative as short as possible to a frame bolt, like the seat post, make sure to sand the area down and use no-ox so it doesn't rust and also make a good connection. Power supply will have its own pos/neg posts. Hope this helps and god bless.

NY714
06-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Howdy 'gain guys,I haven't been around much for a while.life has been really busy cause I was out of work for a while on disability due to stupid health crap and then almost a year ago i got back in to work finally and i jumped in head first and submersed myself fully with almost 70hrs a week within a couple of months of getting back.so that's why i've been out but still keep the CB in the SUV to chit chat and hear the skip,or more so the lack of skip,during the day.

questions-
Mobile: i have two amps.the one i want to use in my mobile is a 230w max with 2 Mitsubishi 2879's and right now it only has the positive and negative wires and no fuse. i've had the amps for a long time but never used them much but they have been tested(NickyBots last year)so i do know they work as they should.What do i have to do to connect it in my mobile to get powered properly-connect positive+/negative- to my battery and place a fuse in line but what size fuse should i put in line? and is that all i need to do before hooking it up (connect a fuse)

Base: I also have another no name brand Power Plus 250 which pushes 270w max (also tested by NickyBots).I want to hook it up to my 2000GTL and Antron 99 which I am finally going to put all together this week. Also on this amp are only the positive+/negative- wires. i guess there is no putting a wall plug end on it and plugging it in to the wall huh?(i know,dumb question but, you never know cause some stuff you can do that with). i have a couple of those cheapie Radio Shack 12amp power supplies but i imagine that wouldn't be enough to run it? what size power supply should i get and also what size fuse do i put in line?

thanks in advance for any help that is provided. i just want to make sure i do this right so i have no fires or explosions lol.

As far as the mobile the stock alternator should be enough around 90 amps and one battery should be just fine for just a 2 pill amp. Should put a fuse at the battery on the positive side to prevent heating up or a fire under hood, as far as how high a fuse would start with 25 amp or so and see if blows when key up and keep going higher till you reach a point where you can put a fuse and have it blow when you key up. Just as long as a fuse is in there should be fine. With my 1x2 the company said 35-40 amps and kept blowing till had to go to a 60 amp fuse and works fine, and there should be a problem it will blow. Like said with negetive do the shortest possible run to the seat bolts is best and run positive straight to battery with good strainded copper wire, pretty thick not thin junk.

With the base going to need to get at least a 36-36 amp regulated power supply in my opinion. Those switching power supplies are cheaper but once you key-up they drop in voltage and don't tend to hold the 12.5-13.8 volts. They will work but better off with regulated. !st best would be Astron, then Pyramid and say radio shack last.

222DBFL
06-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Normally fuse rating is 1.5 times the power used. So if the amp draws 30 amps you would want a 45amp fuse or close to that. Leave the fuse at the amp as well. That's a fast blow fuse. You want an HD fuse at the front of the vehicle at the battery, any stereo shop or even Walmart has fuse connections, the ones at the stereo shops are normally of better quality. Keep your grounds as short as possible and to the frame or a seat bolt. And make sure to sand the area and use NO-OX, on all the connections to prevent any oxidation. Use heavy gauge wire from the get go IMO, #4awg or larger. This way when and if you ever decide to upgrade the wire is already there. These are some things I did that really helped when I stepped up from the 2 pill to 4 pill. I still need to get a 2nd battery and it will be if the type that can be mounted in the car, like one of these . http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/07/seqy6ahy.jpg
110AH battery, not too shabby. Under 200 dollars, it's one of these or an xs systems battery. They are made for heavy amp draw. Again hope this helps and god bless.

Tallman
06-06-2014, 08:56 PM
With the base going to need to get at least a 36-36 amp regulated power supply in my opinion. Those switching power supplies are cheaper but once you key-up they drop in voltage and don't tend to hold the 12.5-13.8 volts. They will work but better off with regulated. !st best would be Astron, then Pyramid and say radio shack last.

You need to feed your units with a wire gauge heavy enough so you don't have "Line Drop" problems. I use 8 gauge wire on my bench because I test so many different units I need the power. My two 36 amp Switch mode power supplies are rock steady until I start trying to draw 40 amps continuous. Then I switch in power supply #2 and I have no problems. For mobile units that are being used for a base setup you need roughly 10 amps per 100 watts of power. Don't forget to add in enough for the radio as well. If need a fuse to keep it from blowing, Never exceed by 10% of the original fuse's rating. It's better to fix a problem that to file a insurance claim.

ducksoupe
12-29-2014, 07:23 AM
Running a 10 meter radio with a amp should I just use 8 gauge wire throughout?

222DBFL
12-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Ducksoupe it depends on the size of the amp and how long the run will be. I am an overkill kind of guy when it comes to power and ground, I use #2awg for my amp and #6awg for my radio, both runs straight to the battery with a good dc distribution block at the Batt. Grounds I run to a seat bolt normally, and I like to keep the grounds as short as possible. Like I said, the size of the amp will also determine what gauge power cable is used and the length of the run. If you are running a 2 pill amp and the run isn't too long #8awg would most likely work, but a larger gauge wire isn't going to hurt anything. Better to go bigger than needed than smaller. JMHO. God Bless.