PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Can Radio

Gerowen
06-09-2014, 02:40 AM
I'm thinking of building a SHTF/camping CB radio setup. I'd like to get a larger ammo can and maybe built a facade out of some kind of foam to hold everything still and include a battery, CB radio, and maybe even a telescoping antenna to go with it. The ammo can would give you everything you need to carry the whole kit in, and it'd be waterproof so you can shut the lid and not worry about it getting damaged in transit if you're walking. I'd like the radio to be as non-analog as possible. I'm looking at the Cobra 18 WX. It has weather bands so you can listen in on the weather report while you're out and about. It has digital meters so no sensitive needles to screw up. It has a front facing speaker so when packed into an ammo can I wouldn't have to worry about the sound being muffled into the side and having to add an external speaker. I'm thinking of running a piece of 3' coax from the back of the radio to a SO239 barrel connector in the facade, and packaging up an adapter to adapt it over to BNC, and maybe a stud mount on one side of the inside of the case with another piece of coax on it so I could attach a stud mount antenna if I wanted to. That way I could either use the included telescoping antenna, or I could hook up to something bigger that used regular coax and a PL-259 connector, etc.

This is all just ideas floating around in my head. Anybody around here ever build something like this?

222DBFL
06-09-2014, 04:51 AM
I have seen a build where this was done. A small radio was used as a small ammo box. A 102" ss whip was installed and it was self contained. I believe it was on another forum I saw this. Could have been here. Maybe try a search here. But at any rate, IMO I Would look into a radio with ssb as well as am. JMO. The icom FT857D might serve you better and if this is a bug out type radio would be perfect as it can be modded to work on 11 meters as well as the hf bands. JMO. Or go with something like the bearcat 980. Again JMO, but the uniden 980 has ssb and weather channels as well and isn't much larger than the cobra 18. This is a very good idea and can be done as I have seen one done already that worked well. Take your time and I am sure you can get something made to suite your needs. God bless and hope this helps.

stang
06-10-2014, 12:01 PM
There was one on here not long ago. Pretty neat too. Enjoy.

222DBFL
06-10-2014, 12:03 PM
I thought so, thanks stang thought I was going crazy for a minute lol.

stang
06-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Here's the link. http://www.cbjunkies.com/threads/928-so-I-built-this-dumb-thing...

Have a good one.

NF822WNY
01-04-2018, 11:49 AM
2311Here is mine, 980 SSB with external speaker, swr meter and antenna jack (I use a Dipole) LIFEPO4 40ah battery with rig runner and power inverter for charging phone/laptop etc.