PDA

View Full Version : My 2970 Shipped Out

stang
06-10-2014, 08:12 PM
This will be my new base radio if all goes well.

Just jot the email a little while ago that my RCI 2970 has shipped out. I will let you all know how it goes when it gets here. I had already ordered from RadioActive radio's before having several people tell not to. Hope it wasn't a mistake. Only time will tell. I had ordered a new 2950 then the guy called and said there was some kind of problem with the new radios. He then offered to send me a like new 2970 with a bunch of upgrades and any color display I wanted. I asked for blue. If the radio turns out good I'll be a happy camper but facing reality I'm not holding my breath. It's a chance we all take ordering stuff off the net.

BTW he says he warranty's the radio for life. Which was why I chose his shop in the first place. If I get lucky I'll never find out if he actually stands behind his radio's. I had ordered a new 2950 with several upgrades which were all done to the 2970 along with the blue display. If everything is up and up it should be a great radio. If not I just wasted a significant amount of money.

Only Time Will Tell

73s

NY714
06-10-2014, 08:43 PM
This will be my new base radio if all goes well.

Just jot the email a little while ago that my RCI 2970 has shipped out. I will let you all know how it goes when it gets here. I had already ordered from RadioActive radio's before having several people tell not to. Hope it wasn't a mistake. Only time will tell. I had ordered a new 2950 then the guy called and said there was some kind of problem with the new radios. He then offered to send me a like new 2970 with a bunch of upgrades and any color display I wanted. I asked for blue. If the radio turns out good I'll be a happy camper but facing reality I'm not holding my breath. It's a chance we all take ordering stuff off the net.

BTW he says he warranty's the radio for life. Which was why I chose his shop in the first place. If I get lucky I'll never find out if he actually stands behind his radio's. I had ordered a new 2950 with several upgrades which were all done to the 2970 along with the blue display. If everything is up and up it should be a great radio. If not I just wasted a significant amount of money.

Only Time Will Tell

73s

Becareful with Mike over there. 1ST they don't have there own service shop everything is sent out for service that is reason for sometimes up to 3 months to get a radio back. If you are not extremely happy during your return period of maybe 2 weeks, return if possible. I had my 2950 done up and had a personal friend who worked in shop who told me all the details. 1ST he changed out the original finals with inexpensive Workman Finals, and painted the final so it was difficult to even see. There is no way to even check a radio he sells you because he puts a seal, that if broken he says will destroy your warranty. I actually was able to speak with a shop he fed the work out to, and he was the one who told me all the stuff he does, charges for mods that aren't even done. The radio worked overall pretty well, but once past return period a nightmare to deal with him. Especially a 2970 if your a big talker they are known to heat up and blow. Give it a good test drive during the return period. PM me and I can give you alot more personal information about this guy. Hate to see you ripped off by him. Have a great day.

stang
06-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Yeah I was afraid of that after I had ordered from him. Sounds like you had a bad time with him. Sorry to hear that.

Well time will tell. I did tell him to install a switch to turn the built in amp off so if I wanted to use a external amp I could. I'm not typically long winded but when I do get it here Ill try and give it a good workout. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and have smooth sailing. I explained to him I wanted a long lasting durable radio with a clean sound and also wanted the receive mod done. He sure does like to talk though. If his or his peoples work is as good as his mouth running it ought to be one hell of a radio. lol

I hear you on 27.3850 lsb from time to time but I didn't have the juice to reach back.

Thanks

wi544
06-10-2014, 09:33 PM
nothing Is warranty for life,,,,lol

NY714
06-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Yeah I was afraid of that after I had ordered from him. Sounds like you had a bad time with him. Sorry to hear that.

Well time will tell. I did tell him to install a switch to turn the built in amp off so if I wanted to use a external amp I could. I'm not typically long winded but when I do get it here Ill try and give it a good workout. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and have smooth sailing. I explained to him I wanted a long lasting durable radio with a clean sound and also wanted the receive mod done. He sure does like to talk though. If his or his peoples work is as good as his mouth running it ought to be one hell of a radio. lol

I hear you on 27.3850 lsb from time to time but I didn't have the juice to reach back.

Thanks

Not just me after did some research on web, he has ripped alot of people off. I have spoke to many tech's from east coast to west coast that know all about him. Like I said if can return, would recommend. PM so we talk privately and give you some good idea's on how to get 100% refund. And can hook you up with a reputable tech to buy and tune radio for 1/4 of the price.

222DBFL
06-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Home of the super whack pack isn't it?? Hope they don't do you wrong, have heard some horror stories myself!! Hope all works out!! God bless

stang
06-11-2014, 06:18 AM
Not just me after did some research on web, he has ripped alot of people off. I have spoke to many tech's from east coast to west coast that know all about him. Like I said if can return, would recommend. PM so we talk privately and give you some good idea's on how to get 100% refund. And can hook you up with a reputable tech to buy and tune radio for 1/4 of the price.

Let me get the radio here and see what we are dealing with first. Maybe just maybe I'll get lucky you never know. But if not I will be contacting you thanks for the offer.

222DBFL
06-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Just be wary!! That is all I will say stang. If you are able to pop the bottom off and have a look I would highly recommend doing so!! JMO. And as far as a lifetime warranty, I am going to call BS on that as I have never heard of a lifetime warranty on any radio made. I could very well be wrong, but I have yet to find a shop that offers "lifetime warranties". Just another sales pitch. Yes there have been some QC issues with the 2950, but what is the difference between it and the 2970, and added amp section which could potentially have more issues in the end. I have read a few threads lately where techs have had brand new rci 2950's come across their bench with loose connections and piss poor soldering. Lack of QC at RCI, all brand new radios. With that said, get the radio and get some reports from some locals you can trust. I hope that all works out and you get a great radio!! But just hearing where you purchased it is like running your fingernails down the chalkboard. Makes your face just pucker up lol. Again good luck and god bless.

NY714
06-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Let me get the radio here and see what we are dealing with first. Maybe just maybe I'll get lucky you never know. But if not I will be contacting you thanks for the offer.

Cool, but rarely will be happy with the price paid verse the quality of radio. But get radio first and be sure to ask about return policy from Mike. He probably won't let you return or discourage you by saying he will only give partial refund, not credit you back back for work he has already done. Just PM me and we can talk and can tell you how to get around his BS. His lifetime warranty you would never use because of shipping price and turn-around time on warranty go to the end and can be 3-4 months.

222DBFL
06-12-2014, 08:25 AM
Did you receive your radio yet stang?? I know FED-EX ground has been a turtle!! Will be ordering from closer to the house next time!! Hope all goes well and that the radio is working correctly upon receiving it. God bless and have fun with that new toy, I'm jealous lol. I wants a new radio too!! Anyway good day. 73's.

NY714
06-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Did you receive your radio yet stang?? I know FED-EX ground has been a turtle!! Will be ordering from closer to the house next time!! Hope all goes well and that the radio is working correctly upon receiving it. God bless and have fun with that new toy, I'm jealous lol. I wants a new radio too!! Anyway good day. 73's.

You wouldn't want a hacked up one from RadioActive Radio's. They have been known to take out the quality parts and replace with much cheaper ones. If you do some research on them, besides what you pay for the radio, you could of bought 2 radio's tuned and peaked by professionals.

222DBFL
06-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Believe me I will never buy into the super wack pack BS!!! I am hopeful that stang gets his radio and that it's working properly, as far as me getting another radio, next one is most likely going to be a Kenwood. TS-50 and antenna tuner. They come around every so often. I will find one. That's the one I would like to get next, but that is me!!

stang
06-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Not yet Fed Ex says monday we'll see. Thanks I'm a bit anxious myself. :)

NY714
06-12-2014, 07:26 PM
The only reason I keep telling you to beware because is that you ordered a 2950 and they sent you already a 2970 will let you get out of sale and probably get 100% refund. Hopefully paid via credit card not debit card, or paypal. You wouldn't want a 2970 for base much better with a 2950 and separate amp matched to it. You can get alot more power and longevity, due to the 2970 has known overheating issues once tuned up. There is no recall or problem with the 2950's, Mike is just trying to satisfy another problem customer and offer you the 2970. Because you didn't oder the 2970, you are luckly and probably get 100% return. I can refer you to a shop in Dayton who can send you a 2950 that screams and an amplifier for less than the 2970 from RadioActive. Plus you would have in less than a week. He could explain all the crazyness that goes on in RadioActive. Again PM me and we can speak on phone and give you the details before to late.

222DBFL
06-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Yep smells fishy to me as well, what 2970 is being sent is what is curious to me as the price difference in the 2 new one, the 2950 and 2970 are a bit different!! Over 100 dollars difference. Idk I would be wary are well, but if he can get the radio and it works properly, then he may not have made out too bad other than having the issue of adding power. With the 2970, you need a 6-8 transistor amp to use behind it as it's basically a 2 transistor amp by itself. The old ones used 2 2290 toshiba transistors if I am correct. Been a while. But with that said, a PROPERLY tuned and aligned 2970 coupled with a good antenna system should allow for world wide communication when conditions permit. If heat is as worry, add a real brushless fan like this to it and it will stay cool!! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/13/avesu3e8.jpg
I use these fans on all my radios and they work well and the amp draw is next to nothing at .24 Amps. @ 12VDC. Good fans and well worth every penny IMO. Got a bunch of them from decommissioned cell sites and they will cut a finger tip off, ask me I know!! But anyway, wish you the best and hope that all is good in the end!! God bless and make sure to keep us posted, these type of stories help others with determining where to purchase and not to purchase. I am sorry that you are being given the run around, but it's the truth as there is no other issues with the 2950's other than some QC issues that a good tech will fix while he aligns the radio anyway. I just hope all works out well and you are happy as you are the one using the radio and in the end will be the one using it. Again good luck and god bless.

stang
06-13-2014, 07:19 AM
Thanks again everyone Fedex says it should be here monday. So until then I wont know a thing.

Yep I love those little fans they also work well on power supplies and battery chargers.

Have a great weekend got to get working.

NY714
06-15-2014, 03:48 AM
Thanks again everyone Fedex says it should be here monday. So until then I wont know a thing.

Yep I love those little fans they also work well on power supplies and battery chargers.

Have a great weekend got to get working.

But don't work good on a big talker on a 2970, had 2 friends blow up radio and had to tune it way down to keep cool. The cost alone is way to high anyway, sure above the $500 cost. Well see what happens on Monday and ask Mike about getting money back, if he jumps to the defensive would return it, or if he says no problem within 2 weeks consider if you like. Your only out is that you ordered the 2950 and he sent you the 2970, rarely will you get chance to get out of an order with Mike.

222DBFL
06-15-2014, 05:20 AM
The fan I posted is from a old Nextel cell site, I know what these fans out out as far as air flow and can tell you that with just 1 on my magnum 257hp, which gets HOT AS SHIT, that it never gets above 80-100 degrees, I rag chew and talk a lot of DX , and i have had the end of a couple fingers get chopped by these fans. They aren't the ones you buy at the rat shack, these were used to cool 800mhz radio base station equipment. I promise that 1 of these would cool the 2970 down if used Properly. With that said, all that I am hopeful for at this point is that the poster of the thread, STANG, gets a radio that works. I am like you ny714, I would have liked to have seen this go different and that stang would be receiving a 2950 so that an external amp can be used, I totally agree with you, but as far as cooling the 2970, I know what I have in the way of brushless fans and they are not some cheap bs from radio shack. These were used in actual radio base stations to cool the amplifiers and other components as well. They are a hell of a fan and have proven to be well built as I have had one in use for over a year, with daily use and this is after being in operation for 10+ years in a cell site. I was fortunate enough to get a few through my dealings with apron cell site trouble shooting work. Perks of the job. Heck I just found some lmr400 and lmr240 60ft sections brand new in the bag the other day, made by Andrew (commscope). But anyway, I am in agreement with you 100% about getting my money back if possible as he ordered the 2950 and now is getting a 2970 that most likely is an bolder version radio. I just can't see them sending a new 2970 as the cost difference is over 100 dollars. It sucks for stang as now he is getting screwed into a radio he didn't order!! But if he is happy (STANG), with the new radio then it's all null and void as in the end it's his radio and his decision as to whether he wants to keep it or return it. I would get the 2970 and take photos of it, both outside and inside the case as well if possible. Then I would use the radio to see if it's working properly and Go from there. I am totally with you as far as getting money back, but it's just not mine or your decision in the end. All we can do is try to provide accurate info and help our fellow forum members out of being screwed by BS companies such as the one that had created the issue we are speaking of. Of course this is all JMO, and we all are entitled to them!! On a different note, I heard you on 38LSB yesterday around 7pm or so, but the weather was sooo bad where I was I could not get out!! Don't know if you heard me but I did call your numbers. 222 in the mobile around central Florida. Anyway with all said and done, have a great Father's Day and god bless.

stang
06-15-2014, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys radio should be here tomorrow then we will see whats what. As far as cost goes it was right at $400 for the 2950 with the changes I wanted I agreed to accept an older radio with the amp as long as the price was the same. I didn't want an older radio in the first place but had the feeling I would be better off taking it than trying to fight it and get my money back.

So lets see what happens I still hope I get a good working radio and no trouble....

Happy Daddy day to all.

stang
06-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Well it got here looks like a real piece of shit too. Has a galaxy bottom. It says 2970N2 on the front and Galaxy on the bottom. Nobs look generic just looks like junk. At this point I don't even really want to hook it up. But I will later tonight once it cools down some. I sure hope it works better than it looks.

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

222DBFL
06-16-2014, 06:45 PM
I don't even want to know what the inside looks like stang. Most likely butchered!!!! Send that thing back ASAP and get your money back!! JMO. It is not what you ordered and now with different components you KNOW it's been hacked as it has a different amp section. Be wary and be careful. If it were me I would not power it, package it back up and send it the hell out!! That is just BS!! Order one radio and get a POS!!! And you paid over 400? No way, no how is that good business practice in my book. Damn crooks is what it sounds like!! I hate to hear you got it like you did. It's total BS and needs to be addressed!!! If this is the quality of work and business practices of the said seller, people need to know. It just sucks that it had to happen to an honest person that I am sure works hard for his money!!! Hope all works out, but like I said I would try even power it, they may try to screw you. Take a bunch of photos of it and dispute it!!! JMO. Do not use it as they will try to pin any failure on you. Trust me. If this is the way they sell, imagine the "lifetime warranty" wonder what the small print says!!! Sorry for the rant stang, I feel your pain and don't think it's cool at all!! Will get that stuff in the mail ASAP for ya. Been a long day today. Anyway good luck and god bless

stang
06-16-2014, 08:21 PM
The knobs had come half off or off completely in transit I guess. The plug has been hot glued in the back.

Emailed them they said If I want to ship it back for a full refund tomorrow no problem. Now that I pushed the knobs back on and wiped it down it doesn't look so bad, guess I should give it a try.

222 are you by the band tonight and is skip running?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/biggkidds/DSCN0254_zpsedb2b0ac.jpg (http://s129.photobucket.com/user/biggkidds/media/DSCN0254_zpsedb2b0ac.jpg.html)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/biggkidds/DSCN0250_zps8fd44f37.jpg (http://s129.photobucket.com/user/biggkidds/media/DSCN0250_zps8fd44f37.jpg.html)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/biggkidds/DSCN0249_zpsc6365e08.jpg (http://s129.photobucket.com/user/biggkidds/media/DSCN0249_zpsc6365e08.jpg.html)

Thanks

222DBFL
06-16-2014, 08:24 PM
I'm on 38lsb but can go up to 27.405 lsb if you can go. Or I will listen on 38lsb. I'm listening on the base now

222DBFL
06-16-2014, 08:25 PM
That's just not right stang. Be careful. Be wary!! I am listening now.

stang
06-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Ok Ill go get it hooked up now. Ill try you first on my other radio 27.405

222DBFL
06-16-2014, 08:49 PM
No conditions to your area that I can hear, it's all out west from here. Give me a few and I will be back on as I just arrived home from work.

06-16-2014, 09:28 PM
You paid 400 for a radio? Seriously, does this thing have a gold brick in it? Don't even think about it. Send it back. A 29 or a 148 with a 2 pill is all you need. With that set up if you get restless you can add a four or six pill later.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

stang
06-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Well I hooked it up didn't make any ssb contacts but the locals said it sounds much better than my 6900. The blue display looks good too. So as soon as I can see how it does on ssb I'll let you all know. But it looks like a keeper. Mike or his tech was more than willing for me to send it back for a full refund according to their email. The case cleaned up pretty good and the knobs were knocked loose in shipping I guess. He said they hot glue the plug in the back due to having had problems in the past. Need more talk time to be sure but everyone who I talked to said it sounded GOOD. Did get a bit hot on the bottom but not to bad.

Thanks

PS Now I just need to learn how to work all the functions.

222DBFL
06-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Let me know if you need a Fan for it, can throw one in. Have a few pico and sandisk brushless HO fans that kick ass. They will take a finger tip off lol. Anyway I hope all works out and the radio works the way YOU want it to!! If that is the case great!! Sorry I couldn't hear you tonight, conditions were all out west from here. Cali and Arizona were rocking my RX. Anyway again hope it all works out and will be in touch soon. God bless.

stang
06-17-2014, 05:23 AM
Warm / hot as it got last night I am thinking a fan is a good idea. I spent a few min looking for one last night. All locals said it sounded great. Doesn't drive the texas star 500 very hard. Did tell mike I would be using it some so they must have set it up accordingly. I wont have a lot of talk time for a while as this is the busy time of year for me..

You all have a great day.

06-17-2014, 05:50 AM
Word dude.

222DBFL
06-17-2014, 05:52 AM
Damn that looks rough. Those darn fans will do some major damage. OUCH !!!

06-17-2014, 05:55 AM
Damn that looks rough. Those darn fans will do some major damage. OUCH !!!

stang
06-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Word dude.

OUCH a small fan did that? Gotta watch where you put your fingers. Looks like one of my sowing jobs. Although I use super glue most of the time. Gotta love self first aid.

Be careful and keep it clean. Hope it heals up fast take care.

06-17-2014, 10:59 AM
OUCH a small fan did that? Gotta watch where you put your fingers. Looks like one of my sowing jobs. Although I use super glue most of the time. Gotta love self first aid.

Be careful and keep it clean. Hope it heals up fast take care.
lol no is wasn't a small fan I was just trying to be funny. I was helping a friend and let's just say his grip slipped.

stang
06-17-2014, 09:30 PM
Well I gotta Hand it to radio active radio's everyone I've talked to says the radio talks nice and clean. Made some good Dx contacts today. I really like the blue display too.

I am happy that people who know me say it sounds just like my voice in the same room. I much prefer to be crystal clear than overly loud. So they did exactly what I ask for. The receive is much quieter than others tell me their 29XX radio's are so they did a good job with that also.

So over all I would rate the radio a 97 out of a 100. I am subtracting 3 points for the case looking a bit rough and the galaxy heat sink.

The important part is it does just what it should. :)

222DBFL
06-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Glad to hear you are happy and that is all that matters. God bless.

stang
06-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Tried calling you 222 several times but conditions just weren't there. We seem to hook up good during the day but not at night. At night I get Canada, puerto rico, california and western US most of the time.

Afred56
06-18-2014, 01:52 AM
Is it just me or does the amp section look like it its from a 94HP?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

stang
06-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Is it just me or does the amp section look like it its from a 94HP?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I have no idea but it does get right darn hot. Of course it's 95* anyway.