PDA

View Full Version : Hello from western North Carolina.

Nctrojanhorse
06-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Hey everybody. I'm from NC at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mnts. I've been talking on radios since I was old enough to speak. Dad was a trucker and we always had a base station at home. He finally retired and moved onto ham radios and I stayed on 11 mtrs. I love cbs and talking on them. I also like working on them and modifying them as much as possible or as much as I can afford. Lol. Right now I have a Radio Shack TRC-447. It's a good lil rig. I traded for it so I'm tickled with it cause I have 0 money in the entire rig. I have plans on putting a rfx-75 kit in it as soon as I can save the money. Right now I'm barefoot and talking close by. Anyways, thats the extent of it. If anybody has any suggestions on how to boost this lol rig im all ears. 73'shttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/19/uje7azup.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/19/qeha2ahe.jpg

222DBFL
06-18-2014, 10:04 PM
I would add an external amp instead of the rfx75 to the back of the radio. JMO. Less things to go wrong with an external amp and you won't risk blowing the radio. Again JMO. A Texas star modulator or a good 2 pill amp will work as well. Also , you may want to move that antenna to the top or center of the tool box and as high as possible, the bottom of the antenna should be roughly level or as close to level with the roof will help. A mag mount placed on the center of the roof of the truck will probably do better than the current setup you have IMO. That or hard mount an antenna on the roof as close to the center of the roof will provide the best counter poise for an antenna. More metal under the antenna and less reflection as well. Again JMO. But before adding any amp unit to the back of that radio I would get my antenna system setup as best as possible as by doing just this, it will increase your rx and tx range. Again JMO. With the way you have that antenna mounted now don't expect any great distance talking with it. Have you ever tried SSB. I don't think the radio you have has it. If not I suggest getting a radio with ssb as you will find that making long distant contacts is easier on ssb when the conditions are good. Again JMO. Hope some of this helps and god bless.

Nctrojanhorse
06-19-2014, 05:06 AM
I had a K30 mag mount in the center of the roof and had really high standing wave that I couldn't tune out. I found out that that is the best place on my truck for low SWR. Thats the reason it's mounted where it is instead of up higher.

222DBFL
06-19-2014, 05:12 AM
In all honesty the k30 is a POS antenna that is ever narrow banded and usually don't tune very well. I had a k40 mag mount, couldn't get the VSWR below 1.7. Now I run a sirio megawatt 4000 and a pl145 mag mount and VSWR across the 11 meter band is 1.1-1.15. Same spot, different antenna. Try a wilson 5000 mag mount or drill a hole in the roof and hard mount an antenna for best performance. Swr reading isn't everything and I promise that the way your antenna is setup, off very directional and most likely has a high reflect. You need an antenna analyzer to properly tune an antenna system. You can have a good VSWR reading but how much of that is reflected power that is coming back into the radio. JMO, get a good mag mount antenna like a sirio performer 5000 with a pl145 mag mount, or hard mount and antenna in the middle of the roof. This will should yield the best performance IMO. God bless

Nctrojanhorse
06-19-2014, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can find to upgrade my antenna. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

222DBFL
06-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Please don't think I trying to bash your system, I love the old radio shack and realistic radios!! They were made by uniden. Just want you to get the best performance out of your system. Your antenna system is the most important thing to consider when installing a radio system.

Nctrojanhorse
06-19-2014, 02:03 PM
I don't think your bashing at all. I truly appreciate all advice. For the time im having to trade around for my setups. I really don't have a lot of extra cash to buy the "fun" toys. Lol. That being said, I am taking the advice and using it to find things I can save for or trade for in the future. I've recently came across a Pride 100 amp that I'm not sure if it works or not so that will be my next fun little project. I'm gonna see if I can tinker with it for the fun of it. It's probably useless but this is a hobby for me.

halfwatt959
06-19-2014, 07:14 PM
I just added a trc 444 to my collection to other day. Only got 15w out of it but the audio is unreal. Keep on learning all you can and don't fret about getting in a rush to install an amp or the backpack. Take your time to check out all the options available and watch out for the snake oil products.

Nctrojanhorse
06-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Thats for the tip. I planned on checking with the forum before actually buying anything. Y'all know a lot more then me and so far I respect the opinions on here.

222DBFL
06-20-2014, 05:37 AM
It's a fun hobby and with the right help really is enjoyable!! Hope that I can help in any way. Like I said, your antenna system is the heart of the entire system, bad heart=no good. You can talk around the world on 12 watts if the conditions are right and ou have a good antenna system and radio. Agin have a good day and god bless.

Nctrojanhorse
06-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Ok. I got a question for y'all. Should I swap out the antenna I got for a 102" whip? I got the chance and wanted to know if its a smart idea. Let me know. Thanks

222DBFL
06-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Yes if you can get a good spring as well a 6" heavy duty spring or a 6" stud mount to make it 108" total, and also mount it in the center of the tool box as high as possible, you want the bottom of the antenna to be close to the roof line as possible, or try it where you have it mounted now and see what you get. Breedlove makes some good mounts. Might want to check them out. JMO don't skimp on the antenna system, it's the most viral part!!! And I promise will make a world of difference when done right. Again JMO. God bless

Nctrojanhorse
06-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Ok. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna just start by hard mounting it to the spot it is now then move it and build it up as funds allow.

06-21-2014, 08:31 AM
222 is right. Got external with your amp. I have a 29 with an rfx kit here. You can fry an egg on it even with fans after a few keys.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

222DBFL
06-21-2014, 08:53 AM
These darn newer MOSFET radios get hot fast, I have a stock uniden 980 that gets hot, I have installed a fan on it and it's stock lol. It's the components and not even having a heat sink. The rfx units get hot as well and have to be kept cool or they will drift. Just get an external amp and a good antenna system as well. Again the antenna system is going to be vital to the entire system, spend extra time here as it will benefit you in the end. As far as amps go a 2 pill Texas star 350hd, or similar will work well on both am and if I the future you want to get a radio with SSB, you already have an amp that will run clean on SSB as well. JMO. I am not too sure about the newer TNT amps, I have a new style one but it's a few years old and has toshiba 2879 transistors in it. Great amp!! And clean on transmit as well. But I would look for a an amp that is at least bias b. And again sorry to stress this, but get your antenna system setup right before moving forward. JMO. God bless.

Tallman
07-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Hey everybody. I'm from NC at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mnts. I've been talking on radios since I was old enough to speak. Dad was a trucker and we always had a base station at home. He finally retired and moved onto ham radios and I stayed on 11 mtrs.

I have one of those but it has the name UNIDEN on it and it's AM/SSB. Ratshack radios are usually well made by companies that know what they are doing. I still have a bunch of RS equipment around here and they all work. Even my old TRC-47 works. I bought the TRC-47 just before the 40 channels came out. AM/SSB and 23 channels. It's still loud and proud. I worked a deal with the store manager to help him get rid of a bunch obsolete merchandise.

If you want to hang RFX on the back of your radio get the RFX-150. Four wires and no major mods to the main board. Get the Fan Kit and have it runn the entire time the radio is turned on. I also know where you can get the rarest SX-350. Also the RFX-175. I got connections.

Silverado 996
07-04-2014, 10:25 PM
I remember Tallman running dual 102" whips on a vehicle we called The Orange Pumpkin! Breaka! Breaka! Lol! :)

222DBFL
07-04-2014, 11:51 PM
An sx-350 sounds enticing Tallman, got me thinking about that one!!!

Silverado 996
07-05-2014, 12:42 AM
O'boy!

I know it's not the correct sx350 Tallman is talking about. Lol!

http://www.ktm.com/us/mx/350-sx-f-eu/highlights.html#.U7eZEYm9LTo

222DBFL
07-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I'll take one of those any day as well!! Although I love my Yamaha's!! Been a while since I been on one. But man are they fun!!

Tallman
07-05-2014, 09:44 AM
An sx-350 sounds enticing Tallman, got me thinking about that one!!!
The SX-350 is mounted on the bottom cover and they are rare as hens teeth. I have 5 of them in my secret stock room. I'm the only one who has the key.

I was on my YAMAHA yesterday. 275 miles worth.

Silverado 996
07-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Yes they are! I pick up a Honda XR250R next month, it's a fun ride. 1790

222DBFL
07-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Sweet, those Hondas are hard to beat as well. Definitely fun to ride!!! Very nice looking bike!

Tallman
07-05-2014, 03:02 PM
I pick up a Honda XR250R next month, it's a fun ride. 1790

You want me to come down and show you how to take off on it like I did on your CZ-250?

222DBFL
07-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Sounds like dad is the big kid there 996!!! He is great people!! Tallman, I could see ya now lol. God bless and hope you and the wife had a wonderful 4th!!

Tallman
07-05-2014, 03:12 PM
If you can get a SIRIO 4000 or 5000. Best antenna for the money. I routinely talk 20 to 25 miles on it around a noisy city. Lots of QRM in Louisville, KY. You'll hit far fewer trees and power lines with it. My 108" whips used to thump over passes on the highway unless I was going at least 65 Mph. Plus I took out some fluorescent tubes when I first put them on. Welcome to one of the best boards on the internet.

222DBFL
07-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Yes sir, the sirio 4000 or 5000 works well even as a mag mount, with my setup I talk routinely out to 50 miles locally. Great antenna for dx'ing!! And it's very broad banded. Has good VSWR readings from 26.0-28.0mhz. It does get a bit high on the ends of the this freq range, but will work just fine.

Silverado 996
07-06-2014, 01:11 AM
You want me to come down and show you how to take off on it like I did on your CZ-250?

Ummm.... no! That trick only works once on me, and it did. "Careful boy, this bike will kill you!" You have to admit that was a fast ass bike and lot of power for a 7th grader, but it was awesome to have the fastest dirt bike within my group.

Silverado 996
07-06-2014, 01:16 AM
Sounds like dad is the big kid there 996!!! He is great people!! Tallman, I could see ya now lol. God bless and hope you and the wife had a wonderful 4th!!

222 you have no idea, big kid is right & go times for sure.

Tallman
07-06-2014, 07:59 AM
Tachometer, I don't need no stinking tachometer!

Silverado 996
07-06-2014, 08:37 AM

Tachometers are for deaf people, and brakes are for quitters!

Tallman
07-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Tachometers are for deaf people, and brakes are for quitters!
Brakes are for "CHICKENS." He who brakes last runs fast!

222DBFL
07-06-2014, 01:00 PM
They have brakes?? Coulda fooled me lol.

Silverado 996
07-06-2014, 03:24 PM

I didn't know it was called a brake... I thought it was a factory installed feature for stoppies.

Silverado 996
07-06-2014, 03:28 PM

I didn't know it was called a brake... I thought it was a factory installed feature for stoppies.

Tallman
07-06-2014, 05:59 PM
You must have seen us riding our motorcyles.

Silverado 996
07-06-2014, 07:19 PM
The incorrect way to use the stoppie lever. I guess the dude thought it was the front brake... Geez.. Poor fella

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hdd-56zcBvc

222DBFL
07-06-2014, 07:43 PM
I have scars to prove they don't have brakes lol. Used to ride a lot, just no place left around here to go!! Gotta travel over an hour just to ride. Most guys just said to heck with it as they shut most of where we used to ride down or it has been turned into an apartment complex. Used to have a grand time though!! 1 broken wrist and thumb on the other hand, yes 2 full length casts, sucks real bad. Hard to wipe yourself lol! Enjoy that bike man. Wish I was there!!