PDA

View Full Version : Long time ago

Master cylinder
08-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Solid state amp's wether ac, or dc, were notorious for splatter. ( as we called it) Bleeding over onto other devices, such as the nice lady next door tv set. ( Mom: Lawrence Welk doesn't talk that way" Tap Tap ). How are they today? I understand tube types are only a relic of the past, but, how was that problem solved? or was it? Thanks

08-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Tubes are alive and well.

Master cylinder
08-19-2014, 11:54 PM
good to know. have the problems with solidstate amps been solved?

222DBFL
08-20-2014, 07:39 PM
It's the way the amp Is built and the use of proper filtering and biasing and amp builder that knows what he/she is doing. You can get a clean tube amp that won't bleed all over the place but they cost more than the average run of the mill stuff. I don't run tube amps myself but I know of quite a few that do and it comes down to good build quality and a proper install and use of good antenna system, coax antenna and a clean radio, clean in equals clean out. 856 and some of the others here are very well versed in the tube amp area, I am still stuck on my transistor amps!! Don't mind DC, but AC power bothers me a bit, I will put my hand in a 24v power plant with a 2000amp shunt no problem, wire up a ceiling fan and I am on edge lol. But anyway, Have a great day and keep an eye out in the for sale section as you may find something you are looking for. God bless.

Master cylinder
08-21-2014, 11:05 AM
Thanks, I also remember all that long ago, some were playing with ceramic tubes obtained from military supplies. I remember reading about them and I think they were claiming 1-2 5k watts from a single unit. any ideas or have you heard of this? thanks

BOOTY MONSTER
08-21-2014, 08:01 PM
most cb amps can be fairly clean if driven properly . over driving any amp (tube or pill) will cause splatter . just because it can show the power on a meter doesn't mean it's clean power . folks getting twice or more wattage than what the pills/tubes can do may not realize that a good portion of those watts aren't on frequency (thus the splatter) since the meters just measure power but not the frequency(s) the watts are being transmitted on .

BTW , doubling power has little actual effect on transmitting distance ....... but don't take my word for it .

http://www.hamuniverse.com/linearamp.html

also ..... cheap electronics being sold today sometimes have very poor shielding or construction to help prevent RF interference so some changes on their end (magnetic chokes on power leads) may be needed . and if you're real close to them the proximity may be too much to overcome :(

Master cylinder
08-23-2014, 10:14 PM
very interesting. Thanks

JesseJamesDallas
08-28-2014, 09:26 PM
I run a old Kicker 500 1x3 tube amp on my base, and don't have any problems with bleed-over or splatter, and it, my radio, and computer are all on the same desk...It doesn't even get into my cheap computer speakers... And I only payed $300 for it shipped. (found on ebay)circa 1980's

Granted I'm only seeing around 400w's on the AM, and 250w's on SSB, but with my quad antenna I don't have any problems talking to whoever I hear on the radio, no mater where they are...

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k592/jessejamesdallas/kicker.jpg
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k592/jessejamesdallas/beam4.jpg

Tallman
08-29-2014, 08:55 AM
most cb amps can be fairly clean if driven properly . over driving any amp (tube or pill) will cause splatter . just because it can show the power on a meter doesn't mean it's clean power .

Linear amplifiers will amplify all signals presented to it. Hence the name "LINEAR". If you put a poorly tuned radio into a linear that poorly tuned signal harmonics and all a boosted. Proper alignment in the transmitter is important.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/linearamp.html

also ..... cheap electronics being sold today sometimes have very poor shielding or construction to help prevent RF interference so some changes on their end (magnetic chokes on power leads) may be needed . and if you're real close to them the proximity may be too much to overcome :(

Linear amplifiers will amplify all signals presented to it. Hence the name "LINEAR". If you put a poorly tuned radio into a linear, that poorly tuned signal harmonics and all are boosted. Proper alignment in the transmitter is important.

The main gist of this is "GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT". Use low pass filters before and after the amp.

Surprisingly, the AB biased KL amplifiers do a pretty good job of cancelling the harmonics.