PDA

View Full Version : s/rf meter sticking

halfwatt959
08-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Any hints, tips or ideas on freeing up a 30+ year old s meter? All my normal dirty tricks aren't helping this one. Where would I find one for an 80s model president Madison? I managed to free up the swr/ modulation meter but the other one is stuck on 9 wether the radio is on or not. thanks 73s

Gordon Gekko
08-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Get a new meter

mjd420nova
09-07-2014, 05:02 PM
There's anumber of things you can check. First check the air gap between the armature coil and the magnets, most suck needles are caused but dirt and dust getting the gap. The other is the be sure the needle doesn't touch the inside face of the plastic cover.

NY714
09-09-2014, 02:49 AM
Do yourself a favor and "Get A New Meter" they are cheap enough. You can try to loosen up but in my experience may only buy yourself a week or 2 before sticks again.

source
06-04-2021, 06:17 PM
Did you try ebay

mjd420nova
07-08-2021, 12:49 PM
There are two reasons for a sticky needle on a meter. The first is dust, dirt and debris in the gap between the coil and the magnet on the meter movement. A short blast of canned air might dis-lodge it but the meter has to be removed and the cover removed. The other cause is a plastic faceplate and a static build up will attract the needle to different points. Wiping the face with the back of a finger will remove the charge and allow the free movement of the needle, sometimes all it took was to blow on it. A little trick we played on the teachers in a training class.

Bobcat
07-13-2021, 03:57 PM
While I too advise a new meter...... if you are feeling really industrious... watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qygecXhZTxk