PDA

View Full Version : 102" Whip on a 2006 Ford Taurus

Gerowen
12-17-2014, 09:09 PM
Anybody got any suggestions on where a 102 inch whip would fit well on a 2006 Ford Taurus? I've got an L bracket for it, and I'm not above drilling holes in the body.

222DBFL
12-18-2014, 09:02 AM
The roof, either dead center or some back from center. Height is might. And that will put a good amount of metal under the antenna. You could mount it on the side of the car or even the trunk lid, but the top of the roof will have the best performance IMO. But the other options I mentioned will work.

mjd420nova
12-19-2014, 01:27 PM
102 whips are hard to place to get the best radiation pattern. Dead center on the roof is ideal but with that height it will take a beating from the trees and low bridges. Mounting a through the body, just behind the rear tire, mounted through the trunk on the drivers side offers the best position.

222DBFL
12-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Agreed there mjd, it's almost worth getting a bit shorter antenna and getting it on the roof. That is where the best performance will come from IMO. A predator 10k or a sirio 5000 would work well. Just some food for thought to the poster. I would rather even have a mag mount up on the roof vs the side mounted 102" whip. More metal under the antenna. Again JMO. But if all you have to work with is the 102" whip, mjd420nova is right, you will hit stuff with it mounted center of the roof, mostly low tree branches, not so much bridges unless they are under 12ft that is which most aren't. My antenna tip is at 14+ feet so I know what antenna can hit lol. At highway speed the antenna will lean back substantially. But driving slow down back roads that have low trees can be a pita, lots of dodging tree limbs lol. But I know that when I want I can talk to people out to 70 miles at times locally with it. I run a sirio turbo 5000 mag mount on an Nissan envy high back work van. Top is at 8ft 10". Puts the tip at 15ft or so. On the highway I don't hit anything bridge wise, just on rural roads where low tree branches are located. And it's not that big a deal. Antenna has taken a heck of a beating and will bend a bit near the tip if hit enough times, but it always bends right back into shape. Over 2 years with this antenna setup and still going strong. And have never knocked it off, the antenna gives if hit hard enough and lays semi down. This is just my experience. Hope this helps. God Bless.

hotrod
12-26-2014, 08:16 PM
if ya gonna use ya mobile to do all talking then, get a 10k, coily, ect type for driving around. mounted on
a tri/quad magnet pad. then when just sitting still for a while swap over to the 102 in same spot using
same coax and mount.this will eliminate the issues with the 102 while driving.
idea 2 if swpping out antennas isnt for you then the sirio is your best bet as 222 said

222DBFL
12-26-2014, 08:39 PM
110% agree there hotrod. Height is might and if I could make it work I would be running my 10k on my work van, but it's too tall. I do use it on an old HD tri mag mount on my ol Nissan Pathfinder and it works very well, the 10k that is. Great suggestions though on the mount and antenna. Like I said my sirio turbo 5000 is right at 14-15ft to the tip on top of my work van and it makes for one heck of a mobile station but I have to watch where I go that's for sure[emoji3]. I don't think that height will be an issue with a 10k and a good mount on the roof and this is going to be the best place to put it, mag mounted or hard mounted. And by first trying a mag mount you can find the sweet spot on the roof. Any how good luck and enjoy.