PDA

View Full Version : Tran-max bf406

SPRINTERLIGHT
01-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Hello
I need info
I have a chance to buy one of these antennas. The owner doesn't know anything about it and neither do I. He wants $ 50.00
It is unused still in the package
What I could make out on the package says
TRAN-MAX BF 406
commercial
70 cm band
50 ohm
6.5 db gain
1.5-1 or less
3 x 5/8 wave length
466-512 mhz.
vertical
200w
I have a Cobra 29 wx nw st and a Realistic TRC-57 23 CHANNEL AM/SSB
New to this hobby and trying to get on the air with the rest of you.
Is this antenna what I might use if not why if so why
Thanks

JesseJamesDallas
01-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Hello
I need info
I have a chance to buy one of these antennas. The owner doesn't know anything about it and neither do I. He wants $ 50.00
It is unused still in the package
What I could make out on the package says
TRAN-MAX BF 406
commercial
70 cm band
50 ohm
6.5 db gain
1.5-1 or less
3 x 5/8 wave length
466-512 mhz.
vertical
200w
I have a Cobra 29 wx nw st and a Realistic TRC-57 23 CHANNEL AM/SSB
New to this hobby and trying to get on the air with the rest of you.
Is this antenna what I might use if not why if so why
Thanks
wont work for CB use...That antenna is for 466-512 mhz (2 meter band)....You need one for 27.000 mhz(11 meter band) That antenna will be too short for CB use...You would burn your radio up!

SPRINTERLIGHT
01-13-2015, 09:45 PM
WOW thanks for the fast feedback and saving me $ 50.00!!!

222DBFL
01-14-2015, 08:16 AM
What do you want to accomplish? How high can you mount an antenna? If you plan on just using it for local use, find a used antenna. Check out your local CL adds. If you can manage it and have a little bit of a budget and no restrictions a decent setup would be 20-30ft telescoping mast or some way to get the antenna up to that height at the base and decent 11 meter (cb) antenna. There are a lot of factors that will need to be taken into consideration, how far you intend to talk, locally to others or dx, also coax and antenna will be a major factor and will range from $80- and up. I won't mention any manf. As it normally ends in a pissing match, but at any rate post up about what you are trying to accomplish and what you can and can't do, like HOA restrictions or money issues. This will help with helping you get a decent setup for your intended use. Have a good one.

SPRINTERLIGHT
01-14-2015, 08:28 PM
Thank's for your patience and let me know if you can open the drawing enclosed.

SPRINTERLIGHT
01-14-2015, 08:35 PM
Hello, kind of got things mixed around , sorry about that but it's hard to teach an old dog like me new tricks , anyhoo
What a great site , very impressed with fast answers and suggestions to questions that are asked. First I would like to be able to talk as far as possible just haven't studied for the test yet ( groan ). Locally I don't think I will be able to make any contacts other than a few truckers on the highway. I will have to reach approx. 40 KM to the nearest city to have any chance of making contacts. I will attach a drawing of what I have presently. I have a aluminum pole on the side of my garage. From the ground to the top of the roof is approx. 14'. On top of this I have a 102" whip antenna and two Radials I think that's what they are called 108" following the roof line on either side. I have run a # 6 copper line down to a ground rod. This I understand is the ground plane. Have talked to a few truckers with good sound but am not sure of the distance I am transmitting/receiving. Have not been able to reach the city by no means. My next approach I am thinking of is purchasing Antron 99. I have two lengths of 2" galvanized pipe , this will give me 20' from the ground up. The Antron is 18' so approx. 38" from ground to top of antenna. Is this high enough? I am not clear if I need to run radials down for a ground plane! Also I would rather run pvc tube instead of the galvanized pipe for the mast. Lightning scares me!! Is this possible !!! Very confused
Thank's again

SPRINTERLIGHT
01-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Forgot to mention I am on a few acres with many trees

222DBFL
01-15-2015, 12:48 AM
Skip the A99. Look into a my least a sirio tornado. They are a longer antenna And aluminum at least and not fiberglass. I had an A99 and upgraded to the sirio tornado and the difference was night and day. Get the base of the antenna up to at least 20+ft, the closer to 36ft to the base of the antenna the better it will perform. As far as transmitting 40k, that is will not be easy. It depends on conditions, SSB is an easier method of transmission that will yield further contacts normally. I could be wrong here but this has been my experience. JMO, stay away from the A99, get a decent aluminum antenna that is at least 5/8 wave. They are a longer antenna at approx. 21-24ft, but will get you out further and better than an A99 IMO. As far as antennas go, I all depends on how much you are willing to pay. There are def better antennas than the sirio ones, but they aren't cheap.

SPRINTERLIGHT
01-15-2015, 02:57 AM
My Realistic Navaho TRC-57 has SSB but only 23 channels. Will this get 40km. with the Sirio Tornado
I haven't seen this antenna under $ 100.00 plus shipping. Anyone out there have a used unit.

222DBFL
01-15-2015, 05:14 AM
It will if you can get it up high enough and the conditions will permit. The sirio tornado is 89.00 plus shipping, comes out to 106 dollars I think. DNJ radio sells them as well as a few other places. I have been happy with mine, I live in FL so the land is flat and on SSB my range is right at 40-50 miles. Some days I can get out to 100 miles locally on SSB. On am I haven't tried a distance test but since you have brought it up I will check it out.

JesseJamesDallas
01-15-2015, 10:41 AM
23 channel rado with SSB is pretty much useless for SSB, since people only talk on SSB on channels 35-40... mostly channel 38 lsb.

222DBFL
01-15-2015, 12:21 PM
JJD, you know more than I do about things, would he be able to get out to 40km on AM with a decent antenna setup and said radio or will he require some more power or different antenna? I was just giving him my experience with SSB as that is where I normally talk, not much on am other than the occasional dx.

JesseJamesDallas
01-15-2015, 06:46 PM
JJD, you know more than I do about things, would he be able to get out to 40km on AM with a decent antenna setup and said radio or will he require some more power or different antenna? I was just giving him my experience with SSB as that is where I normally talk, not much on am other than the occasional dx.
40km is little over 24 miles...With something like a 5/8 ground plane antenna, on a 30' pole, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to talk that distance...

May not be able to talk that far during the day, if there's lot's of traffic, but after dark when things quieten down and the noise level drops, should be able to talk with no problem...On SSB, day or night shouldn't be a problem...But like i said, you really need a 40 channel radio for SSB to be a option since the upper channels is where people talk on ssb.

222DBFL
01-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks JJD. I thought the same but am not a big AM person much anymore, SSB is what I use here as all the other locals around me do. And I agree a 23 channel radio is only going to be good for AM use as most if not all traffic is at or on 36-40 on SSB. Haven't heard very much on 16lsb in a long time. Anyway thanks for the reply and the help.