PDA

View Full Version : Ssb radio

SPRINTERLIGHT
01-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Hello Everybody!!!!!!!
Need help. I have a Realistic trc-57 23 channel am/ssb radio. I have been trying to listen in on the ssb
I get a lot of noise, but when I start to tune with the clarifier it starts to improve from Donald Duck and then I loose it or I run out of dial on the clarifier. I can't seem to lock on. I have the squelch turned up and the rf gain up. I did notice a slight improvement when I turned the rf down but not a lot. My antenna is mounted 18 feet from the ground to the antenna base. It is a 5/8 wave Hy -Gain clr-2
I have run a # 6 copper to a ground rod as well. Could it be my antenna or maybe the radio has sat to long. I just got it and was told it hasn't been used for some years. On the am side swr is near perfect.
Don't know what else to tell you other than I am getting ticked at not been able to hear anyone. Any help or info or ideas that I may be doing wrong are welcome.
Looking forward to hearing from someone
Thanks

JesseJamesDallas
01-25-2015, 07:48 PM
Problem is, NO ONE talks on the ssb channels below channel 36...What you probably are hearing are people on the AM side which is why they sound like Donald Duck...You will never be able to tune them in with the Clarifier no mater what you do...

The old 23 channel radios are fine for talking on the AM side (up to channel 23 anyway) but are pretty much useless for SSB.

222DBFL
01-26-2015, 07:50 AM
Even channel 16lsb is done!!! Haven't heard anyone on there in the couple years I been back, on lsb anyway. We tried to get some guys to go there and give it a try but the south of the border disorder seems to always be in play!! Like JJD said, either sell current radio and get an entry level New SSB radio like a uniden 980 or spend more or maybe the same and get a good used 40 channel SSB radio. There are still some old ones that do very week and don't cost too much, the uniden pc122 or uniden grant and the old side mic cobra 148's do a good job from my experience with them, just gotta look around to find a good one that hasn't had hands all in it. But like JJD said the 23 channel just isn't going to cut it these days as most are on 36-40lsb these days, or it seems that way. JMHO. Good day.

hotrod
01-27-2015, 05:34 PM
i agree with everyone. try listening to am see if theres any difference.

SOHC
02-10-2015, 01:57 PM
I find if the other station is using FM it sounds like SSB on your set and you can't tune them in with the clarifier ether.

Also I think if they have the clarifie unlocked they could be way off and you will never be able to tune them in.

SSB is very frustrating, it never works as it should on relay old sets.