PDA

View Full Version : Antenna mounting options

Hollowpoint
01-22-2012, 06:32 PM
I didn't know where to post this thread so I put it here.

Here's my predicament, I'm having serious anxiety attacks just thinking about punching a hole in the roof of my truck. Reality is, I'm not keying at the line in competitions. I'm just looking to run up to an 8 pill for skip talking etc. Here are my options, I was thinking of mounting an antenna on a Pro Tech Headache rack, grounded to the frame, cab and bed. Or the option I'm not sure of, is to mount it on the tool box in the bed. I'm looking for opinions from some of the more experienced mobile operators.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2dqtt1g.jpg

555 BigHorn
01-23-2012, 12:46 AM
where you have the antenna right now in the pic is where it needs to go
and yes you said not for competition
but you will be better off in the long run and alot happier you did it.
so puck it
213 coax or lmr400uf
and the antenna of your choice

pucking it will perform way better than on a headache rack or tool box

Bigmic919
01-23-2012, 08:09 AM
I agree HP. Puck it and you will be happy that you did. I was the same way when I got my new truck a few weeks back but just decided that if I wanted it to be right to go ahead and do it.

On a side note I finally heard you here in GA the other day. I was shoutin hard for ya but conditions werent right. You were sounding good too.

noisemaker
01-23-2012, 03:35 PM
I didnt want to do mine either, but i did it and im glad i did it. Since i pucked the Silverado, I pucked the Toyota, and my suburban. Wouldnt think twice about it now unless it was a Ferrari or something.. lol I dont know what you pushing HP, but alot of the people up this way run tri/quad mags too- they modify them to stand a little taller and make a plate, then mount the puck on the plate. Not the same, but works fine. if you do end up pucking it - drill it about 12" in from the 3rd brake light. There's a bracket inside there that will be in the way if you pop it where the wilson stands. There is a dome light right where the hole should be on the xtra cab models- havent pulled the liner on a 4dr yet, but if its there it makes life easy for accessing the bottom of the puck/mount.

ALSO- if you still cant bring yourself to do it - BoxBuilder (luke) runs 2 sticks on his pickup - Mounted on the bed rails. 1 on the gate and one on the front of the bed. I dont know how he did it, but I think he is running a 32 pill off it and it works for him.

D-MAX 2112
01-23-2012, 07:34 PM
I had help pucking my "clunker burban" glad we did it on a truck i wasnt attached too. After this first time..i would do it again.(haahahaha).now i know whats involved. I sugg making a little template for the puck hole pattern. Also we used a hole saw.. buy a good one. Also use good drills for pilot holes.

noisemaker
01-24-2012, 11:19 AM
I had help pucking my "clunker burban" glad we did it on a truck i wasnt attached too. After this first time..i would do it again.(haahahaha).now i know whats involved. I sugg making a little template for the puck hole pattern. Also we used a hole saw.. buy a good one. Also use good drills for pilot holes.

Greenlee Punch is soooo much easier and cleaner if you have access to one.

Hollowpoint
01-24-2012, 12:08 PM
I think I'll just have to punch a hole, I do have a greenlee punch here. Right now I just have a 1x4 in the truck, I won't put anything bigger than that through the mag mount. Eventually I plan on dropping my 8 pill in there and that will require something more permanent.
BigMic, my conditions have been kind of unstable as of late. Thanks for the flowers, we'll make the connection with a little help from mother nature.

Bigmic919
01-24-2012, 02:05 PM
4-10 on that. I was talking all over the place last Friday night. Had 14 on lock down with 308 in Pittsburgh late yesterday too.

Nice truck by the way. Chevy all the way....

BOOTY MONSTER
01-24-2012, 02:30 PM
have you considered 108 inches on the tool box ?

noisemaker
01-24-2012, 07:44 PM
have you considered 108 inches on the tool box ?

108 on the toolbox aint gonna work with anything over 100w. The reflect and shitty ground will flake out the voltage regulator and battery light will come on. been there, done that, got the tee-shirt.. lol (i have the same truck in the xtra cab version)

JesseJamesDallas
01-24-2012, 08:08 PM
yep...you could do a riser off the back

doughboy
01-24-2012, 09:09 PM
hey i got the same tshirt on my pops toyota everything used to go nuts in it