PDA

View Full Version : how to tune an old tube amp

squattindog
03-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Hello, would anyone care to give some instructions, I personally have a nitro 300a. i have used the old maco's years ago but don't really remember the procedure. thanks

JesseJamesDallas
03-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Not sure on the Nitro. I have a Kicker 500 which is similar, only it's a 1x3 tube...On mine you key the mic, then turn the Tune knob till it peaks, then do the same thing with the driver knob...The Nitro has 1x4 6LQ6 tubes, where mine only has 1x3 and will peak little over 500w's with new tubes...You should see closer to 600+ watts I would think.

The 6LQ6 tubes ain't cheap either...I just bought a spare set of NOS tubes for mine and payed $30 each...some places want as much as $60ea.

"IF" you need new tubes, check out "Tubedepot.com"...don't mess around with those guys on ebay.

update: just noticed Tube Depot has gone up on the price of these tubes since I bought mine last month...They are up to $59ea. now! :sorrow: Things are getting harder to find apparently.

A365
03-10-2015, 11:40 PM
He's raising the prices cuz people are getting they're tax return :heh:

JesseJamesDallas
03-11-2015, 07:28 AM
He's raising the prices cuz people are getting they're tax return :heh:
That wouldn't surprise me...I noticed a couple weeks ago some guys that are regulars on eBay, have done the same thing...