PDA

View Full Version : Amps and New Age Vehicles

southernredneck1
06-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Probably fixing to break down and buy a new truck. All the ones I've seen have all kinds of electronics. I'm pretty sure they even come with an AAW(Automatic A$$ Wipe) button, but I haven't found it yet. Everyone I've talked to says that my linear amp will kill the electronics in the new vehicles. Is there a way I can safely mount my mobile rig in a new vehicle? Thanks in advance!!!!

Ohms
06-03-2015, 11:03 PM
You should run a dedicated fused power cable from the battery to the amp. This is always good practice for any high amperage loads. I doubt that the RF will hurt anything in the truck unless you are running a whole lot of watts. How big is your amp? 1500 watts? IF so, then I guess it could bleed spurious emissions over to the computer(s) but even then I kind of doubt it. I could be wrong though. Ask the lead tech at the dealership service department to be more sure. Let me know if you find out it is a problem. I'd give it a try if it were me. My friend's 2011 honda does not mind his amp.

Oh and the AAW is methane activated so - no button needed :) :) :)

southernredneck1
06-04-2015, 01:57 PM
So that's why I always get a tingling sensation after breaking wind while driving. Huh. :semi-twins: I always run a dedicated line from the battery to the electronic. The amp is an old Texas Star DX250 that pushes 550 watts. The radio itself pushes 60. I'm really debating on running just the radio. I hardly ever turn the amp on as it is now. I appreciate the response.

Ohms
06-05-2015, 05:22 PM
My biggest problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee was WHERE do you mount the radio??? I just could not find a good place that I liked and was functional. I finally decided to convert the dash to a double-din and go with a stacked aftermarket stereo and a din sized CB. I picked up the CRE 8900 import radio and it fits pretty well.
I finally found someone who made a double-din bezel for the Jeep so I bought it. You should have seen me with my sawzall hacking away at the plastic parts inside the dash to make room!!! No going back that's for sure.
Came out ok though.

JesseJamesDallas
06-05-2015, 08:00 PM
So that's why I always get a tingling sensation after breaking wind while driving. Huh. :semi-twins: I always run a dedicated line from the battery to the electronic. The amp is an old Texas Star DX250 that pushes 550 watts. The radio itself pushes 60. I'm really debating on running just the radio. I hardly ever turn the amp on as it is now. I appreciate the response.
You have a TS DX250 kicking out 550w's???

...think it's time for a New Watt Meter. :popcorn3:

southernredneck1
06-05-2015, 08:10 PM
In my Ram 1500, I had the same problem. Finally I ripped out the cup holders and ashtray and built a box for mine. I'll have to take a picture and post it when I get in from offshore. As far as the amp, I took it to a guy in Pearl River, LA to have it checked out, and if needed, repaired. It had been sitting up for 20+years before my grandfather gave it to me. Not sure what had been done to it before, or what the guy I took it to did, but that's what showed up on the meter. What should the amp be putting out, JJD?

JesseJamesDallas
06-05-2015, 10:04 PM
In my Ram 1500, I had the same problem. Finally I ripped out the cup holders and ashtray and built a box for mine. I'll have to take a picture and post it when I get in from offshore. As far as the amp, I took it to a guy in Pearl River, LA to have it checked out, and if needed, repaired. It had been sitting up for 20+years before my grandfather gave it to me. Not sure what had been done to it before, or what the guy I took it to did, but that's what showed up on the meter. What should the amp be putting out, JJD?
250-275w..."maybe" hit 300w with a hot radio...Here's a vid on the DX250

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVTaLwJ1STc