PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Super Penetrator

bmaggin1
10-08-2015, 05:14 PM
I know where I can get a 1980 Hy-Gain Super Penetrator, Order Number 500. I know it is a 1980 as the other box that is opened has news paper from June 1980 as packing material..

Wondering what this antenna is worth.. Don't want to pay to much for it, even tho I am dying to get it in the air and try it..

Thanks,
Bruce

Radiomaster240
10-12-2015, 09:56 AM
HY Gain is making the antenna again they list for 149.95 here is the link so will give you something to judge by.
http://www.hy-gain.com/Product.php?productid=SPT-500

bmaggin1
10-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Have heard from several people in the area that is won't tune like the old ones do.. They say good on channels 1-28 and then SWR jumps to 1.5 through the rest of the 11 meter band.. He is wanting $200.00 for it, so I think I might go ahead and get it.. Thanks for the advice.

Bruce

SiCk_DiAbLo
10-28-2015, 02:09 AM
I have one, bought it over 25 years ago for 20 dollars..Never put it up, just was to big...

RAM
01-25-2016, 09:56 PM
Just got mine up on the roof and everybody I have talked to says in sounds good a lot better then my Antron 99. But I think my Antron was going bad. But I am glad I got my Super Penetrator I am very pleased with it.

222FL
01-26-2016, 06:00 AM
You can get a new one for less than the price of the old one you are buying. If it's for nostalgia, and you truly believe the old spt500 is that much better, than have at it man. Looks like a nice 5/8 wave vertical antenna!! Anyone know about how much they weigh?? Just curious. I am running a Sirio Vector 4000, just bought a few months ago, it's up at 26ft to base. I've not had any issue with it, but always like to look at other options!! Thanks for any input. Good day.

alpha78
02-01-2016, 05:00 AM
they don't weight much at all as I recall. super lightweight. that's the exact antenna I used to run in the backyard of mom and dad's house back in the day. up on top a 20' extension that was given to me free by another local CB'r "Samurai" and I'd like to say thanks again on the off chance he'd ever come across this thread some day. good numbers your way always man! anyways dad and I tied up the guide wires and installed the grounding pole and dang I had my first base going whoo hoo!

circa early 80s and Ch6 was blowing smoke but not just Sundays it was every night. I had a little Palomar 150 from a local shop down the Tenderloin on my Cobra which was my mobile and base. I had to apologize for all the trash talking and swearing then to all my neighbors that I bled onto. their tvs, phones, toaster ovens and even on cassette tape recordings. dead busted no matter what. I was just a phone call away from losing it all.

Even the popo was on CB. I remember one handle "the leprechaun" that completely shut down the channel. All us ducks tried doing "squisssshhhh" and all that jazz to no avail. anyways that dang leprechaun had some connections and challenged anybody to give a license plate and he'd run it and give out the registration info right on the spot. so plate after plate were being run. I got to jump in and give a test. back then you could submit your CB license and get a special 8 digit license

plate! so I gave him my cousin's license just to see if he was bullshitting. well guess what it took him a bit then he came back that said wtf couldn't find the record - the exact same thing most cops came back with when my cousin got pulled over and he got pulled over a lot with those 8 digit plates. like in every small town. those were the days.

anyways way off subject I know but you guys are the only ones who understand. I'd run a super penetrator if I could find one locally. I used to see one on a run down house here. it was bent slightly and had seen better days. then the house got sold to a flipper and the penetrator disappeared. I still see it in my mind's eye every time pass by that place.

RAM
02-01-2016, 07:34 AM
Baby Duck you can get the Super Penetrator on the Hygain Web sight www.hygain.com (http://www.hygain.com) it be a brand new in a box. I got a brand new one and I love it, it talks better and receives better then any antenna that I had.

222FL
02-02-2016, 06:36 AM
Good antennas from all I've heard. Just have to take your time setting them up correctly. I like my sirio 4K just fine for now!!

alpha78
02-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Either should be pretty stealth for mounting up behind the house as only a single vertical goes up vs. beams or yagis if I do a gpe then won't have to worry about radials. thinking of a 10' mast max so the antenna would clear the solar panels on the roof. decisions decisions.