PDA

View Full Version : Coaxial Cable Excess

dice55
02-26-2016, 10:45 AM
I have just installed my base antenna and running about 40' of a 50' piece of cable to it from the base station. My question is should I coil the excess 10' of cable inside by the radio or outside by the antenna connection?
thanks

222FL
02-26-2016, 04:48 PM
It doesn't matter. Just make the coils neat and don't make them too small. The winds that is. 10ft of excess isn't too much at all!! Good to have a little extra just in case you need to service something or replace a connector. Always good to have a service loop. You can place one at the antenna and at the radio, this way you have slack on both ends to work with. But no. It shouldn't hurt anything by coiling the wire up into a neatly made coil that is not too small as to cause damage to the coax. JMHO.

JesseJamesDallas
02-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Yep, I have about 10'+ coiled up on the side of my tower. I have to un-tie it when I lay the tower over to service the antenna...Otherwise I would have to unhook the coax from the radio stuff to have enough slack to lay the tower over.

dice55
02-26-2016, 09:43 PM
Thank you, I'll get started tomorrow, it's been along time since I had all this hooked up. Great forum.