PDA

View Full Version : Microphones

ponyboy6039
06-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Hi I'm Pony Boy
I have learned my lessen, STAY OUT OF RADIOS!
So I fix Mics. I want to know everything there is to know about mics. Different types, brands how they work how to repair and how to get parts. Wiring diagrams are not hard to find, cords, plugs and switches are easy. Mic cartridges are hard to find. I need a mic cartridge for an Astatic 636 I looked on line no help I sent an Email to Astatic , They don't sell the mic cartridge. What do I do! Finding a good mic is not so easy anymore. Astatic 636 is an ok mic around me we like Road Kings. Now thad Telex Road Kings are no longer made I'm hard pressed to find a good mic.
Any help you can offer? Hit me up
All my best
Pony

JesseJamesDallas
06-22-2016, 03:53 PM
Who told you Road Kings are no longer made? They still make them, just not by Telex/Turner...

If your looking for a decent N/C Mic., check out the Ranger SRA 198...You can find them on eBay under $30.

ponyboy6039
06-23-2016, 12:51 AM
I'm aware that they're making Road Kings, but they're no longer making Telex Road Kings the new ones are not good they sound as good as a stock Cobra mic. Thank you for the suggestion of the Ranger I'll have to look into that see if anybody has one, and see what they think. Other than that where can I get microphone elements for replacement in astatic mic astatic says they don't sell them individually so you can't get them from them so I need another source

JesseJamesDallas
06-23-2016, 05:17 AM
I'm aware that they're making Road Kings, but they're no longer making Telex Road Kings the new ones are not good they sound as good as a stock Cobra mic. Thank you for the suggestion of the Ranger I'll have to look into that see if anybody has one, and see what they think. Other than that where can I get microphone elements for replacement in astatic mic astatic says they don't sell them individually so you can't get them from them so I need another source
eBay would be your best-bet, or may try RF Parts.

ponyboy6039
06-23-2016, 10:26 AM
eBay would be your best-bet, or may try RF Parts.

Thanks , no help there but lots of other cool stuff. Looks like I will be cursing Ebay

222FL
06-25-2016, 02:24 AM
eBay there is a seller that makes mic elements for mics like the D104. I am sure that these elements could be made to be used in other mics. Just remember you need voltage for and electret mic and don't have to with a dynamic unless it's a power/echo type mic. Which most use electret condenser mics as well. Build a mic would be the way to go. Board and all. Just use a nice large case from something like and old uniden mic or similar. Just use something that has the same response and impedance for what you need. Just type in mic element on eBay and you'll see a bunch pop up. Also might want to look into the W2ENY mic elements on eBay. They are supposed to be pretty good.
But truly why not get your learn on with radios? Not hard to do if you take the time to read some and ask questions as well. Find some parts radios like cobra 25's and 29's, hit up CBtricks. Or other sites that have schematics and service manuals and go for it. All you need is one of each of the radios that work as well to help guide you as well. With some effort you can fix a lot of radio stuff that isn't too badly damaged. That is if you really want to try that again. Mics are much easier to work on that is no doubt. Truly not much to them. I like to mess with mics as well and have found that it all depends on the persons voice as to which type mic to use. Dynamic or Electret condenser mic. Changing values of the diodes and such will also make a difference as you most likely already know. But there are many mic elements that will work with your astatic mics, like the ones I listed by the seller above. Or look at these. Even the workman dynamic may work for you. Hope this helps and have a good day.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160625/b32e764fccfc071959e022f9e7c3df70.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160625/cd7d1ce5af0229583f23e75f1c66a092.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160625/ceb4d09ffcfb8ba23c509711a059fc7f.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160625/190d680801d6e29e193776c6b4bb8c00.jpg
These were all found with a quick search on eBay for mic element.
Also if you like messing with different mics, the magnum 257hp mics are a nice power mic with good audio. If you CSI find one pick it up and require it for whatever radio you like. They have a built in amp board that uses power from the radio, so be mindful of that. Or last but not least look at the RF Limited 2018 extreme and CR577 mics. They are another 2 that get awesome reviews as well.
Have a good one and have fun working on microphones.

I'm just a CB'er, what do I know???

ponyboy6039
06-25-2016, 03:36 AM
Thanks! Heavy, that's a lot. I have little enough time to do the microphones for my co-workers I usually am fixing plugs or replacing cords or the swtch, fixing something in a microphone two three four times a week on top of working 50 hours if I can just be an expert at that it would be fine.

222FL
06-25-2016, 04:50 AM
I totally get it. And if it's what you like then stuck with that and master it. Or at least get the most out of it as you can knowledge wise. And you're also helping others which many don't do these days. I try to as much as possible. Pay it forward I guess you could say.
But at any rate, get the size, power rating (watts), and also the impedance off of the mic elements you are looking for and go from there. With these 3 things you can most certainly find a replacement element that will most likely be a good replacement. Also I have heard good things about the W2NEY mic elements being used in different microphones. At any rate enjoy messing about with them. But if you can't get ones from astatic, don't give up. Hell you might just find something better as far as audio quality. Never know if you don't try. And like I said, give a different one a whirl and see what you get. As I said earlier, just measure your element and go from there. Dynamic elements don't work well with my voice. So I stick with my electrec condenser microphones LOL. But anyways, have fun, and be safe. Hope you find something that will fit and works for you. One thing I have found if that a little searching around and reading reviews and such would help me to choose which mic element I wanted to use.
You're not needing an electret mic elements for 636 microphones. Just a dynamic type element. Like I said browse through eBay and see what you find. Remember to get one that has the same exact size, ohms, and power (watts). And again, have fun and be safe. Good morning and here is to having a good day to you.
222 Daytona Beach, FL,
saying 73 and God Bless. I am now going to go listen to the static on 11 meters LOL. Unless some locals 65 miles out are talking! Maybe we will get some DX today. Been sporadic that is for sure.

I'm just a CB'er, what do I know???