PDA

View Full Version : Well..... I spent the cash

Gar
06-23-2016, 12:32 AM
Went ahead and went with the Connex 4600 Turbo and Texas Star 1600X with fans etc and Predator 30K every thing should be installed by next Thursday so gives me enough time to power ground the truck.

phantom_tb
06-24-2016, 05:17 PM
Sounds like a nice setup Gar.

Gar
06-24-2016, 05:39 PM
Thanks Phantom, I'm told no one in this or the surrounding 5 counties are running this big. So I hope to be smacking ducks like a mad man

JesseJamesDallas
06-24-2016, 09:26 PM
Wouldn't bet on it...Once you start going BIG, the "BIGGER" guys seem to come out of the woodwork...:300 (283):

Gar
06-24-2016, 10:50 PM
Man Bexar county has no big boy radios just mostly mud duck oil truckers and the guy every one is talking about having a big radio has a galaxy with a 4 pill box.

222FL
06-26-2016, 03:35 AM
Man I would have stayed away from the TS and looked into something like a Dave Made amp or even a BMT amp. Even though I don't like the materials used on BMT's cases, I'm sure you could get a solid case and not one with plastic. But the work that they do is just way better than any TS amp you'll find. Texas Star is not a true AB biased amp, but more like a B biased amp, just about like X-forces bias circuit design which they call a Class B biased amp. There is no thermal tracking for the Texas star so as soon as you over drive it into saturation, it will be just another class C splatter box.
Only other person I would have build me an amp right now would be a gent named Crusher. Or buy an amp and let Crusher beef it up properly, and make it a real thermally tracking Class AB amp. CLEAN IS MEAN!! You have fun stomping mud ducks. Not sure how long that will last with an 8 pill setup. Hope you have your shizz setup properly as well!! A 4 pill setup that is done right will out do a mediocre install of an 8 pill amp. So make sure you get all your ducks in a row!! At any rate, glad to hear you got your amp and stuff. But these days CB isn't what it used to be. You'll soon find that out. Yes there are still some out there, but right now the DX is about dead as shit, so unless you do have some locals to key on, you probably won't be keying on many people.
Also what vehicle is this going into. Didn't see where you posted that? Just curious. At any rate, be safe and have fun with your new setup. I wouldn't have gotten an export radio either. But that is JMHO. A good older cobra 25 or 29 side. But that is just me. Have a 1969 final put in and an upgraded driver and have it tuned and aligned by a good tech like Doug's Custom CB's or Bells, or even DTB. All do good work. JJD I believe can attest to that. At any rate have a good one. Text wall over!!

I'm just a CB'er, what do I know???

phantom_tb
06-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Lol, JJD. My radio only puts out 150+ with a nice swing to 200+ and I've talked to Hawaii...Hmmm.

Gar
06-27-2016, 10:07 PM
I've been running CB and big amps for a while. I've had just about every amp made I personally hate gold boxes. Plus who wants to wait on Dave to get around to making anything. Best amps I've had all been TS. Everything on my truck is grounded with 4 guage and negative battery cord. I'm having everything put in by Clay's CB shop the dude knows his job. So not to worried.

JesseJamesDallas
06-28-2016, 04:51 AM
I've been running CB and big amps for a while. I've had just about every amp made I personally hate gold boxes. Plus who wants to wait on Dave to get around to making anything. Best amps I've had all been TS. Everything on my truck is grounded with 4 guage and negative battery cord. I'm having everything put in by Clay's CB shop the dude knows his job. So not to worried.
That use to be questionable...When Clay's was over off I-20 near Gordon, they use to use a old truck-wash bay to set peoples SWR when they bought a new antenna from them...

ONLY person I ever seen get inside a metal building to tune a antenna...even had billboards up and down the freeway with a picture of the truck wash saying something about using it to stay out of the weather...