PDA

View Full Version : Heathkit SB-200 not modded or altered. Wanting to use on 11-meter

mattsowders1989
09-13-2016, 05:18 PM
i have a Heathkit SB-200 linear that has not been modded in any way. I want to use it on my cb. half the info i have read online tells me that it will operate just fine in the 10-meter position, the other half says it has to be modded. i am honestly scared to just hook it up and try it without knowing what im doing. any at all info would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks DXer's!!!

mattsowders1989
09-14-2016, 11:56 PM
Anyone at all? I'd really like to use this amp. I just don't know what needs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

222DBFL
09-15-2016, 04:45 AM
Keep the input low. Keep the dead key into amp as well as PEP wattage low. Tune and load it for 11m. And give it a try. If it's able to go to 10m, it should work on 11m. I am no amp expert and don't own one of them, but have seen many Yaseu FT101's converted and the matching amps used as well on 11m. As far as I know the amp didn't have to be modded. Before you go doing anything, use Google and see what comes up. Just sayin. But I would venture to say it would work. Like I said, keep the input to a minimum. JMHO.

mattsowders1989
09-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Thanks 222! The input is dead keying at 5 watts. The problem is, I can't get the amp to kick in and when I do key up, the meddle pegs out in the RF PWR position. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I saw one person who mentioned a key relay mod. I don't really know what that is. I have always used solid state amps.

222DBFL
09-15-2016, 06:23 PM
Yes, you may have to use a key relay mod. I saw that mentioned on doing some research. You'll need a good amp tech for that if you aren't familiar with that amp. It's an HV amp and can kill you!! So don't stick your hands in it!! I would take it out of line if it's not keying up and don't damage it. JMHO.

mattsowders1989
09-15-2016, 06:25 PM
10-4. I have a guy close to me that specializes in amps and other CB radio equipment. I decided to drop it off to him. Thanks for all the pointers and guidance.

222DBFL
09-15-2016, 08:42 PM
No worries, hope it gets resolved and what is needed to be used the way you want to!!

222DBFL
09-16-2016, 02:53 AM
Also try lowering the input power from 5 watts to 2 watts and see if it makes any difference. Don't stay on the key too long. Just a quick check. And don't tune and load it for max power either. Baby it and see what happens. Might correct the issue, may not. It may need the relay mod done to work correctly and some other work as well. I've seen conflicting reports as to how they will work, so truly don't stay on the key long if it goes to full power when you key it up. But if you want, try lowering your dead key on the radio or use a radio like a cobra 29 or a uniden grant or similar and get the dead key down to about 2 watts. I don't know what radio you are using to drive it with, but you might just need a regular CB/SSB radio to make it work. Or the relay mod done. I just think that if you have a regular CB radio to try that. Keep the power at stock levels. Like 2-4 watts of dead key max and 8-10 watts of swing pep. And see what it does. You will need a relay mod if you are using a radio like a Yaseu ft101 or something. Again, not sure as you didn't say what radio you are using to run it with. But keeping the input power down might help. And I mean getting the carrier or dead key closer to 2 watts or so. Just enough to key the amp. And see what happens. But if you are in KY, there are a couple of great amp techs that I can name off the top of my head that can help you for sure. One is on this forum that I know of, and possibly the other as well. Both are from KY, and know their stuff about amps. And like I said, don't you go putting your hands in it if you don't know exactly what you are doing as that one will kill you faster than you can react!!!! JMHO's. Again, I hope that you get it resolved!! Have a good one.
222 Daytona Beach, FL
saying 73 and God Bless.

mattsowders1989
09-16-2016, 10:29 PM
I'm using a cobra 19 ultra 3. It's a junky radio but it's really all I have to use inside the house that works. It dead keys at 1 watt and swings to about 7. I have one guy I'm thinking about taking the radio to tomorrow. But I would love to hear your references opinions as well.
Believe me. I'm not touching the inside of that amp. Not with those tubes.

222DBFL
09-16-2016, 11:02 PM
Have you tried using that radio with the amp? It may work. Worth a simple try. Even though that radio may seem like junk, it's a great radio for testing and they actually work quite well on AM. Don't be fooled by the size! Again, leave the radio where it is, at 1w dead key and see if it will key the amp. Don't worry so much about power readings as in getting big numbers. This is just to verify that the amp will infect work with a lower output and dead key, that being 1 watt. JMHO. But like I said before, don't stay on the key too long!! Hope this helps and keep us posted. And be safe!!!

222DBFL
09-16-2016, 11:13 PM
Also that radio, the cobra 19, if you just have the dead key moved up to about 2 watts swinging to 7 watts it should be fine. Heck it shouldn't have an issue now. A 1:4 power ratio is good. And you aren't too far off from there. Get the power brought up to about 2 watts of carrier or dead key and swinging to 7-8 watts and leave it. No need for any more as it won't make a difference on the receiving end. JMHO. And you can run pretty well most any amp with it set like at 2w swinging to 7-8 watts pep without hurting the amp. Again, JMO.

mattsowders1989
09-17-2016, 02:58 AM
The amp will not key up. I keep reading about a key relay for the amp to work on 11 meters

222DBFL
09-17-2016, 03:03 AM
Ok. I had my suspicions as well. Just wanted to see what the verdict was. Thx for response. I'll speak with a gent I know in KY, and see if he can help or if he will take the amp in and get it right for you. He is about the only person that I trust to let into any amp i own. He truly know his stuff. But I would like to at least get his advice about the situation first. That is if you don't mind. Just would like to help is all. I do hope that one way or another you get it resolved and are able to use it!! I know the gent I speak of can do it rather easily i would venture to say, along with a bunch of other stuff to it. But to just getting it going on 11m is what you are after I understand!!! I'll see what if anything I can do to help man!!
73 and God Bless from
222 Daytona Beach, FL
Sean.

mattsowders1989
09-17-2016, 09:47 AM
That would be awesome. Thank you so much. I don't mind one bit. I'm just so thankful for the help.

mattsowders1989
09-17-2016, 11:24 AM
The guy I was going to take the amp to isn't available so I guess I'm kind of hoping you will be able to help me out. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking time out of your day to help me out with this.

222DBFL
09-17-2016, 06:55 PM
No worries. I will find out some info soon here.

mattsowders1989
09-17-2016, 07:08 PM
Thank you!!!!!

222DBFL
09-17-2016, 07:09 PM
Sent him an email and will let you know more as soon as I hear something man. This is one of the best amp techs I have met and or had work done by. This dude knows his stuff!! Anyways I'll let you know. Have a good evening!!
73 and God Bless.

222DBFL
09-17-2016, 07:10 PM
And again, no worries. I will help as much as I can. Just paying it forward man!!!

mattsowders1989
09-17-2016, 07:19 PM
Thank you. Have a good evening yourself!!!

Crusher
09-17-2016, 10:52 PM
That amp needs a foot pedal to key amp. It has a 120v relay. Few options possible. Foot pedal with RCA jack easiest. Otherwise other option is change relay to 12vdc, then need small 12v source and could then install standard keying circuit. Another option is build a small feedthru box with relay and keying circuit, use a rca jack from back of amp and small cord to remote box. Relay inside would switch it off and on. Remote box would need a small 12v supply.

mattsowders1989
09-17-2016, 10:58 PM
Ok. I assume you recommend using the foot pedal. How does it work? Where does it plug into? Is it something I can easily make? Keying circuit seems like what I would want to do depending on cost.

222DBFL
09-17-2016, 11:11 PM
Thanks Crusher.

222DBFL
09-17-2016, 11:19 PM
You think he could or needs to send you the amp to have what he wants done to it done?? If so, Matt you might want to shoot Crusher a PM. This is the person I was recommending! He is a good amp tech should be able to get the amp working the way you want. Shoot him a PM, and he will help you out I am pretty sure. Best amp tech I know! He does know his Shizz!! Anyhow. Hope you get it all resolved. And hope all this helps. Have a good one!!!

222DBFL
09-17-2016, 11:25 PM
And again, thx again for responding and for any other help as well man!! Matt, Crusher is a stand up gent and one hell of an amp tech. I highly recommend him!! Does some clean work and is top notch and not out to rip anyone off. I will back that 110%!!! Again, hope you get it resolved Mattsowders1989! Good morning LOL!!

mattsowders1989
09-17-2016, 11:38 PM
222, thank you so so very much for all of your help. You have gone out of your way to help me and I couldn't thank you enough for that!!!

222DBFL
09-18-2016, 03:43 AM
It's no worries. Like I said, I just pay it forward! Hopefully you can get in touch with Crusher. I'm pretty sure. Now that he knows what is going on, if you just send him a message that you will be able to get the work you need done or at the very least the info to do it if you wanted to. Crusher is a stand up dude! Highly respected in the amp community. He is humble, that is all. His work speaks for him!! I'll just say that! Again, glad to help as much as I could.[emoji106][emoji106]. Let me know how things worked out. Or at least update the thread. Have a good day man.
73 and God Bless!!!
Sean.

mattsowders1989
09-18-2016, 10:41 AM
That amp needs a foot pedal to key amp. It has a 120v relay. Few options possible. Foot pedal with RCA jack easiest. Otherwise other option is change relay to 12vdc, then need small 12v source and could then install standard keying circuit. Another option is build a small feedthru box with relay and keying circuit, use a rca jack from back of amp and small cord to remote box. Relay inside would switch it off and on. Remote box would need a small 12v supply.

Where does the foot pedal hook up to? What would you recommend?

Crusher
09-18-2016, 11:39 AM
There should be a RCA jack on the back of amp. Google Heathkit SB200 and look at manual. It will show you which jack in back is to key.

Crusher
09-18-2016, 06:10 PM
I know you have something rigged to get amp to key, but have you been able to load up at all?

mattsowders1989
09-18-2016, 06:33 PM
No. I don't have enough input power.

222DBFL
09-18-2016, 07:51 PM
When you say input power, I assume you are speaking about AM carrier or SSB pep wattage?? Or something else??

mattsowders1989
09-18-2016, 07:52 PM
Am carrier

222DBFL
09-18-2016, 08:10 PM
From what I've read also this amp isn't really made for AM use. It's an SSB, amp. Not to say it can't be used on AM. Crusher, what would you recommend as far as carrier power goes on AM with this amp? Around 30-50 watts? I've seen some say 100 watts. Is that too much? That would be 400 modulated watts if radio is set for a proper 1:4 ratio. Sounds a bit much for an amp that produces 500 watts per the specs sheet I saw here. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160919/f7cdf08475f7cc34d164736398ef84a3.jpg
Or are these numbers incorrect as well? I am now curious and I don't have one of these amps LOL!!! Thx for any and all responses.
Seems to me that this is a 100% SSB type amp that will need about 100 watts pep on SSB to make it work right. And also a good AC power source as it draws 16 amps on 120VAC, and 8 amps on 240VAC. You about need a dedicated 20 amp circuit for 120VAC operation or a 10amp 240vac deducted circuit. Again, I am not sure these figures are correct as far as the amp rating, but I can see it needs some amperage for sure! No other crap plugged into a 20 amp circuit should do the trick. As well as the proper mode of operation and power drive level. As well as a either a foot pedal or keying relay. Again, thx for your help man!! You know it's always appreciated man!
73 and God Bless from
222 Daytona Beach, FL,
Sean.
And P.S. One day I'll be sending my TNT 600hd up there to have it biased correctly and gone over!! Just need to get my shizz together. Anyhow will Talk about that another time.

mattsowders1989
09-18-2016, 08:15 PM
I'm starting to wander if I should just sell this amp and get something else intended for the 26/27mhz range in AM, that doesn't require drive.

Dave457
09-18-2016, 08:52 PM
From what I've read also this amp isn't really made for AM use. It's an SSB, amp. Not to say it can't be used on AM. Crusher, what would you recommend as far as carrier power goes on AM with this amp? Around 30-50 watts? I've seen some say 100 watts. Is that too much? That would be 400 modulated watts if radio is set for a proper 1:4 ratio. Sounds a bit much for an amp that produces 500 watts per the specs sheet I saw here. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160919/f7cdf08475f7cc34d164736398ef84a3.jpg
Or are these numbers incorrect as well? I am now curious and I don't have one of these amps LOL!!! Thx for any and all responses.
Seems to me that this is a 100% SSB type amp that will need about 100 watts pep on SSB to make it work right. And also a good AC power source as it draws 16 amps on 120VAC, and 8 amps on 240VAC. You about need a dedicated 20 amp circuit for 120VAC operation or a 10amp 240vac deducted circuit. Again, I am not sure these figures are correct as far as the amp rating, but I can see it needs some amperage for sure! No other crap plugged into a 20 amp circuit should do the trick. As well as the proper mode of operation and power drive level. As well as a either a foot pedal or keying relay. Again, thx for your help man!! You know it's always appreciated man!
73 and God Bless from
222 Daytona Beach, FL,
Sean.
And P.S. One day I'll be sending my TNT 600hd up there to have it biased correctly and gone over!! Just need to get my shizz together. Anyhow will Talk about that another time.
Try asking badnews : )

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Crusher
09-18-2016, 09:11 PM
A 1 pill driver would cruise this nicely. Sb200 should only DK about 200 or so. Not much more. Those 572b'scan be hard to get at times. RF parts just started selling their brand again. Market was out for almost a year or 2.

222DBFL
09-19-2016, 05:24 AM
About 60-100 watts max. Depending on the driver. But it appears he needs some drive to get it going at all.
Matt, depending on how/what you decide or need/have to do, like Crusher stated, a good single final radio, like a uniden 980, cobra 19, 29, 148, and many other single final radios that do 8-10 watts on AM and 12 watts SSB if wanted and a good 1 transistor amp, would be the way to go with that amp. That or find an HF radio. Something older might not be a bad idea. Or look around for ones that do well enough on AM. The Kenwood 480 works well on am from my experience with using one. All in how you set it up. Other radios are the Icom 7000, and a few others that are older ones. The kenwood 520 or somethihg like that might work as well.
The other route is an export radio like the strkyer 955HP. At 60-70 watts or more, which they can safely do 60-70 watts I am pretty sure, you could use something like that as well. Or even the RCI 2970N2 with the power turned back to about 100 watts max on both AM and SSB. Just some food for thought. Hope you get all resolved. And if you do decide to find a 1 pill driver amp, make sure you either have a good power supply or that it has a built in one. And be careful where you buy from as well as the kind you buy!! JMHO'a. And like I said, some food for thought. Have a good day!!

222DBFL
09-19-2016, 05:56 AM
Ask around before you go buy one [emoji6][emoji6]. If you speak with the right people I am sure one can be made for you! And it will be a very clean amp as well as clean output!!
Anyhow, hope you are able to get it working correctly!! If you have access to a 40 watt radio or more, you should be able to see power out of the amp. Suppose the little radio on its own just won't do it. Also you have it connected to a good breaker right. A 15A breaker being used all by itself is what I would either install or find one that you have and repurpose it if possible. That or run a 240vac line. That will help with amp rating, and a little better efficiency, but if you have enough 120VAC amperage, you'll be good to go as well. Make sure the breaker you have in there now is good and isn't old. And also check the size of the wire and that you are able or can get access to a 15-20 amp circuit. Like I said, only other way is to add one. Not fun if you aren't an electrician!! Not AC wiring!!! Anyhow. Again, I truly hope you can get it going!! Good luck and be safe!!!

222DBFL
09-19-2016, 07:28 AM
If the little bi-linear amp I have worked. It would be a perfect match. Just need a small power supply. And you most likely could have had one that would do the job well for about $60-$70 dollars shipped to your door. Look for a nice little 100 watt amp. Also an idea would be to use an RM Italy KL203P. It might not do exactly 100 watts, but it should be enough to key that amp and make it work. They don't take much input. A .5-2 watt max dead key or AM carrier is all that is needed for them to work properly. And pep power about 4-6 watts on AM, and about stock 12 watts on SSB. No hot rodded cb's needed. A stock radio with the AM power turned down to show about a 2 watt dead key and 100% modulation should show about 8 watts pep. That is plenty for AM. And SSB, leave the radio stock or even turn the power back a bit.
The uniden 980 is actually a great radio to pair with one of these amps and add a MegaWatt S400-12 power supply, which does 9-15vdc at 30+ amps all day long. Total cost for all 3 pieces would be a little over $200. That is for radio, amp, and power supply. MegaWatt also makes a little smaller unit, its cost is $50 versus the S400-12 unit. The S350-12 unit is $50 and should still have plenty of power to operate the 980 and the RM amp as well. Run at 13.8vdc. Or get an amp that plugs in the wall.
Last would be to get an HF radio that will transmit on 11M. There are still some good tube radios that with the correct mods can do well ok AM. Also the kenwood ts440s can be modded i believe. At any rate, you have a lot to work with.
Only bad side to all this is that the CB or 11m band is pretty dead. And no amount of power will help when there aren't any conditions or people to talk to. Yes locally you can have fun, but man I hope you don't need that much power to talk locally!! Have a good one. And good luck with whatever you do!!

mattsowders1989
09-19-2016, 08:17 AM
Thank you so much 222. You have given me a load of info. I'll be doing some research for the next little bit.

222DBFL
09-19-2016, 08:39 AM
Thank Crusher, he is the one that mentioned the use of a small driver amp to get your amp to key. A 1 transistor driver amp would work well, but I would want one that has thermally tracking AB biasing, VSWR protection, good fan and airflow design, and that doesn't need much drive to work the way it is supposed to. You want the amp to do the work and let the radio have headroom to not be driven hard. It all works together. Clean in equals clean out. This is if I were to have one built that is.
The RM Italy and uniden 980 do work well together when setup correctly. Just turn the AM power back to about 2 watts and set the modulation to about 95-100%, meaning the radio should swing to about 8 watts on AM mode with a 2 watt carrier on a true pep reading meter. This is a good 1:4 power ratio. And for SSB you can bring power back to about 8 watts and the radio will run cooler. I've one of these radios and will tell you from experience what I have done to help with any heat or other issues. Also if you send it to a good tech they will do all this for you as well as possibly lowering the bias voltage on the radio as well as they can be set a bit high at the factory. These are just things I have researched and learned from owning one of the radios (uniden 980), what works and what doesn't. As far as the amp goes I have never had an RM Italy kl203P, but have seen many of the uniden 980 and that amp paired up together for about 60-80 watts of power on AM. And about 100w on SSB if memory serves me right. This is without driving the piss out of them. Again, heat is the enemy. Also adding a fan to the unit is a good idea!!! Again, hope some of this helps and have a good day!!

mattsowders1989
09-19-2016, 10:10 PM
Thank you for all of your help, 222. Thank you Crusher for your help as well. I do have a couple of concerns. One, the radio i am using in my house is a cobra 19 ultra III, otherwise known as bottom of the barrel. No side band. nothing except volume and squelch. I need a new and better radio. i cant afford to buy one right now though. Two, this big Heathkit amp draws a lot of power. this concerns me in two ways. first, I have no circuit in my breaker box that doesnt have a few things on it already. i live in a duplex with my wife and two children. its pretty tight in here. second is my electric bill. right now, i am the only one working. my wife isnt. we just had a baby about 6 weeks ago. she is still trying to find a job. i cant have this big power horse running my bill up. thats why i was thinking that i could sell it and find another linear that wouldnt be so hard on my light bill and maybe have enough money left over from that to get myself a better radio than the 19 ultra 3. What do you guys think?

222DBFL
09-20-2016, 12:09 AM
That is up to you. If you are going to sell the amp, get a good antenna and a radio. The uniden 980 can be had for just over $100 shipped to you. For about $400 you could have a pretty good antenna, radio, small amp, power supply. Not sure what the going price is on those amps, but I would think it would be pretty close to $400. I could be wrong though. Even getting a radio and a good antenna will help a bunch!!! JMHO's.

mark_Hughey
09-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Go on utube BBI has video on that amp

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

mark_Hughey
09-21-2016, 03:35 PM
This amp need a driver some time they are converted to 220 in stead of 110

mattsowders1989
09-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Thanks Mark!

222DBFL
09-21-2016, 07:32 PM
JMHO, but stay away from BBI, he is a snake oil salesman. But that is JMHO. I'll let and see what some others have to say. Maybe JJD will comment as well to his antics and ripoff tactics!!! Or you can watch it yourself. Read up on data sheets for the transistors he is using and then look at the numbers he claims to get. Then your eyes will open wide!! But hey that is JMHO. What the heck do I know!!

mattsowders1989
09-22-2016, 12:30 AM
I am going to drive the amp with my HYS KL-300. It puts out about 75 watts on low power.

222DBFL
09-22-2016, 02:13 AM
That will work!

222DBFL
09-22-2016, 02:15 AM
Don't get so caught on on the watt meter. As long as the amp appears to be putting out good numbers, leave it be. Don't try to squeeze every last watt out of it and it will last!! And have fun with it!!

mattsowders1989
09-22-2016, 05:25 AM
Thanks 222

222DBFL
09-23-2016, 07:18 PM
Keep us posted as to how things work out with the setup Matt. Curious to see if any of the help worked. And don't forget to keep that driver amp (the KL300) at a modest drive level. Don't want to mess up either of the amps. And also make sure you have a good. VSWR reading before you even add any of the amps in line! Below 1.3:1 at max. That is JMO, but the higher the VSWR the more heat and reflected power is being sent back to the radio. This can skew readings and show more output than truly is. Also might want to think about adding at least one low pass filter after the radio and possibly one after your SB-200 as well. This will keep the signal clean and your neighbors happy. RF Limited makes a pretty good one for the the money. The DF3000. Prices run from $40-$50 shipped. Here are pics of one and the power ratings. Not sure I trust the power ratings, but they are built well inside actually. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160924/be54b15a40c9226f36dafac0542da5ef.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160924/448d6c830669676b2d0596ae1358408f.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160924/b2637debfdff8a01f5c9b380ac275f6c.jpg
The pics are more for show of the product then the price. Check out Copper Electronics for pricing as well as EBay. You can find them for about $40 or so shipped to you. I have one I don't use anymore as I don't run any amps and use ferrite choke at my antenna feedpoint. No RFI/TVI issue here. And I've asked all my neighbors LOL! At any rate, with the place you live, consider the cost and amount of power needed to run the amp and take this into consideration as well. You don't want to starve the amp for power. That is just as bad as over driving it. You may just be better off using the one amp, the KL300 I think you said you have? The CB/ 11 meter band is pretty dead at the moment and it doesn't matter if you have 10k watts, if there aren't any conditions you are pissing in the wind. That is why I said to get the best antenna as you can and start from there. A Sirio vector 4000 is one heck of a vertical antenna as well as some of the other more expensive 5/8th wave antennas. Even the Sirio 2016, 827, and the Sirio tornado work pretty well. The only thing I don't like about the tornado is that it's not a true DC grounded antenna. But that can be fixed with a little modding. And for the money, they are a very simple antenna to place up and don't require a heavy tower or mast to do so. They only weigh about 6.4lbs. And the length of the antenna is 23.7ft per Sirio. Now if they only made it a true DC grounded antenna, it would be a better antenna. That is not to say that they don't work well as I know quite a few gents that run one and have had no issues with them. Another issue is power. You want to run that amp, don't use an A99 or similar as you will end up having issues!! Been there and done that!! Anyhow. Again. Many things to think about and ponder on. I will say it again, your antenna system is what is going to make or break your entire setup, so it may be wise to leave that SB200 as is and sell it to a Ham radio operator. And use that money to setup a good antenna, coax, surge arrester, some way of getting the coax into your radio room, in which case they make window hatch plated with pass through bill head connections. Some even have surge arresters built in. Just need to ground the plate and surge arresters properly. Good luck and maybe I'll hear you on the air one day.
222 Daytona Beach, FL,
saying 73 and God Bless!!

mattsowders1989
09-26-2016, 09:59 AM
Ok. I have my little mobile linear on a lawnmower battery hooked up to a trickle charger and it's putting about 60 watts into the Heathkit. I fabricated a foot pedal to key the amp up. Right now it is producing a good clean 575 watts. I'm happy with that!!!

222DBFL
09-26-2016, 10:16 PM
Get yourself a power supply and be done with it Matt. It's much safer and will take up much less space. For about 50-60 dollars and shipping of about 7-10 dollars you can get a pretty good power supply. Again, I recommend the MegaWatt supplies. They are well made and carry a 2 year warranty as well. For the money it's hard to beat 30+ amps of power that is adjustable from 9-15vdc. JMHO's. Be careful if you have those batteries in the house. Not a good place for them!! Especially with the added charger. That is JMO. Have fun with your stuff, but do it safely and the right way. Again, JMHO's.

mattsowders1989
09-26-2016, 10:18 PM
I plan on getting a power supply. I just had the battery lying around and used it until I can get a higher amperage PSU

222DBFL
09-27-2016, 03:34 AM
Gotcha. Just be careful. It's dangerous having one in the house if that is indeed where it's at. The fumes are explosive and all it takes is a small spark to make a big boom!! Have fun but be safe as well!!! Power supplies can be gotten for cheap. If you don't mind me asking, what amp are you using to drive the SB200 with? The one you mentioned earlier?? The KL300? Or something different? Just curious. Again, have fun, and enjoy!! Good day.

mattsowders1989
09-27-2016, 07:35 AM
The battery is outside. I am using the kl-300. I turned my radio down to 1 watt, and it's putting out about 60-65 watts. Heathkit putting out around 575 and sounding clean.

222DBFL
09-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Good deal. Glad you got it working and all is well. Sounds like you have it dialed in just right!! Keep it clean and mean and ne safe. And enjoy. Have a greet evening and hope to hear you one day on air.

222DBFL
09-28-2016, 05:55 AM
I don't know if you have any neighbors. If you do, might not be a bad idea to get at least one if not 2 Low Pass Filters. I posted one earlier in the thread. This will help keep your signal clean. Use one after the radio and one after the amp to the antenna. They do work. You don't want to make the neighbors mad as usually that is when you have issues!! What you may think is clean may be killing their computer speakers and tv or other their house. Causing havoc isn't the way you want to go that is for sure. And without an oscilloscope it's hard to tell whether your signal is truly clean or not. Bencher, Drake, RF Limited, and some others make pretty good Low Pass Filters. Read up on them and how they work and what they do. You'll understand more why I say to get at least one. And I am in no way saying you are running a dirty station, it's just a CYA thing. If you are good friends with your neighbors you could ask them if they have had any issues lately with any of their electronics in the house acting funny or possibly hearing you coming through their computer speakers and such. Like I said it's to cover your butt more than anything as you don't want the MAN visiting you!!! All it takes is a phone call. Just some food for thought. And again, glad you got it all working. Now work on getting a good antenna setup. Not to say that the antenna you made doesn't work, and work well, just make sure that that the entire system is good. Proper grounding, good coax, a good surge arrester, and so forth. It all makes a difference. Some may disagree, but I am the type to go with overkill to make sure things don't give me issues down the road!! Again, just food for thought. Have a great day!!

mattsowders1989
09-28-2016, 10:06 PM
Thanks 222! I do have 2 Drake low-pass filters and I will put one after the radio and one after the amp. Thanks for that suggestion!!!

222DBFL
09-29-2016, 01:25 AM
No problem man. They will definitely help keep your signal clean and keep the neighbors happy. The Drakes are good ones as well and should do a darn good job. Your are doing the right things and will be happy as will the neighbors!! Keep up the good work man!! Sounds as if you have it just about all together!! Have a good one and keep us posted as to how things work out!! Good day.

222DBFL
09-29-2016, 04:52 AM
Matt, next thing I would focus on is to have a good ground system for all your stuff. This includes the antenna mast and all radio equipment as well. And it needs to form a single point ground system. Read up on how commercial towers are grounded for more understanding as to what I am speaking of. And also a good surge arrester. Poly phaser, Huber Suhner, Andrew, Commscope, and a couple others make good surge arresters. Don't buy one of the cheap ones you see floating around on eBay either. They suck! You want one that is an EMP/Lightning arrester. I use a Huber Suhner one myself and they can be gotten on eBay for good price. Same goes for the Poly phaser ones. Just have to look around. And also make sure you get one that will handle the power you are putting out. This may require you to also get a ground buss bar to connect all your grounds to. This is another important part of having a good base station. The grounding system that is as well as a good surge arrester. Just some food for thought. You may have already done this, but if not, I suggest that you get it done ASAP. Any static discharge or even a lightning strike close by can ruin your day!!! Again, just some food for thought and also good practice for base station installs. Like I said, read up on how commercial towers and cell phone sites are grounded. I promise all of this will be well worth it in the end. It's a lot of work to have a good base station, but if you want to keep your equipment from getting potentially fried, it's something that is needed. Just unplugging your coax isn't enough. That is JMHO. Being a retired cell site technician and installer of radio base stations for basically all the major cell phone carriers, this is something I can attest. And I am not trying to toot my horn, it rather save you from having a pile of wrecked equipment!!! Have a good day man and keep up the greet work. You are doing everything the correct way and it will pay off in the end!!
73 and God Bless you and yours.
Sean.

mark_Hughey
11-08-2016, 10:06 PM
That amp will do 2000 watts set up right

mattsowders1989
11-08-2016, 10:14 PM
And how would you set it up?

mark_Hughey
11-08-2016, 11:03 PM
And how would you set it up?

Check out the video on utube

mark_Hughey
11-09-2016, 08:57 PM
You are heading in the right direction you got it doing half the power

mattsowders1989
11-14-2016, 10:34 AM
yeah, I dont trust BBI. I have the amp shoting about 750 watts right now. im happy with that.

mark_Hughey
11-14-2016, 11:46 AM
If you are happy with it keep it that way

mattsowders1989
11-14-2016, 11:51 AM
His video is on an sb-220 anyway. I have the sb-200

mark_Hughey
11-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Sorry Mattsowder you are talking about two different amps

mark_Hughey
11-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Ok two different amps sorry my bag

mattsowders1989
11-14-2016, 02:27 PM
Thank you for inputting though. I do appreciate it.

mattsowders1989
11-14-2016, 02:28 PM
I'm very happy with 750 watts. A SPT500 and that amp, I've made many contacts down in the super bowl.

mattsowders1989
11-14-2016, 02:29 PM
I'm still waiting to hear you jay in the desert and 222 in FL

222DBFL
11-15-2016, 06:16 AM
I've been slacking Matt. I took my antenna down and haven't had much time to get it back up since I took it down! I did break out my dr dipole dipole and just need to string it up into 2 trees facing as much NNW as I can to get as much as I can. Or might build one and place it up E/W. That will work for me for DX'ing for now and at 40ft or higher it will work well. VSWR is at about 1.15 on the upper part of the CB band and beyond, and about 1.3:1 on channel 1. I normally am above the 40 channel CB band so I tuned my antenna for 27.400. The legs came out to be 17.08ft or 102.47" for each leg. With the 1:1 dr dipole balun it tuned well for what I need it for. Don't run more than 100 watts ever anymore. My AM and amp days are over. I still have a couple that will put out about what you are seeing with a good power source. It's an older TNT600HD with Toshiba 2879's in it. I don't like driving it that hard though!! Not good for the amp or the transistors. Yes they can take it for a while. But at the rate they cost I would rather cruise it along at about 400 watts. Anyhow, with my Icom 746 and a good antenna which I believe I had up, the Sirio vector 4000, it worked very well. Spend most of my time on SSB. Anyhow, I should have the dipole up in the trees soon. This weekend most likely. Been putting it off but it's time. Hope to hear you on air soon. Until then enjoy the contacts because they aren't getting any better anytime soon.

mattsowders1989
11-15-2016, 10:27 AM
Sounds good buddy. I'll have my ears on.

mark_Hughey
11-16-2016, 11:37 AM
If you here 947 in buckeye give me a shout on6

mark_Hughey
11-16-2016, 11:39 AM
If you here 947 in Bird County ohio give me a shout

222DBFL
11-17-2016, 05:41 AM
Do you get on SSB much 947? Just curious as I have spoken to a lot of guys up in Ohio myself on SSB. Some darn good sounding stations. Any ways, hope to catch you on air as well as soon as I get this dipole up and my Sirio vector 4000 back up as well. The dipole should be up this weekend. Will have to pull the Icom 746 out of the closet where it has sat since Hurricane Matthew. Been using my back up radios I guess you could call them to make sure the dipole was tuned right! Now I'll pull my main stay radio back out LOL!! Again, hope to catch all of you on air at some point. Until then have fun DX'ing and keep it clean and mean!!!

222DBFL
11-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Well the dipole is up. Facing N/S mostly. About 15 degrees West of North. It's up as high as I can get it. Here are a couple pics. VSWR is good and it's a Dr. Dipole 1:1 balun with my wire. Anyways. Here are a few pics. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161119/7a116ea976258010f56a100332278aab.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161119/df61a3df369ada2d6f0673c41e1c0fef.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161119/e443557c91da027e0569c8fe2f40107f.jpg
We will see how well it works setup this way. Need be I'll add an E/W one as well. That is how it was previously. Used a Diawa switch. Anyways, hopefully talk to you at some point Matt and the rest of you gents as well. I've spoken to Jay a couple times on SSB I am pretty sure. I will have to check my log books to confirm it. But I am pretty sure I have. Anyways. Again, hope to catch all of you on air if the conditions let me or you guys. It's not doing too well at the moment here from what I can not hear LOL!!

73 and God Bless to All
222 Daytona Bch., FL
Sean

mattsowders1989
11-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Awesome Sean!!! I'll be listening for you.

222DBFL
11-23-2016, 05:02 AM
If anyone will be on tomorrow I'll be listening throughout the day. The dipole finally starting getting some action yesterday afternoon. All Northern stuff. OH, NJ, NY, and even down south from them. Might be able to hear you finally Matt. I was on 38lsb just listening yesterday afternoon and last night about 7-8pm. Using my kenwood ts140s. It works well and will do almost 150w on SSB. About 120w or so on my Radio Shack SWR/power meter. Anyways. Hope to hear some of you gents tomorrow and maybe this weekend as well as I work Friday, but am off all weekend!! Anyways, I'll be listening for you gents.
222 Daytona Beach, FL
saying 73 and God Bless.

mattsowders1989
11-23-2016, 08:37 AM
I was on 38 LSB last night and heard some activity out of Florida but I couldn't make it out. I'm on every night talking to locals and DX when available so I will keep my ears out for you Sean. Listen for skip shooter 677 in central KY

mattsowders1989
11-23-2016, 08:07 PM
I'm on CH38 LSB right now trying to make contact.

mattsowders1989
11-23-2016, 11:30 PM
It's 11:30 here and Skip is still running strong.

222DBFL
11-24-2016, 03:24 AM
Sorry Matt, had a long day at work and feel out when I got home!! I then am up at 3am LOL! I did hear the DX rolling but just listened for a few minutes and then I just fell asleep. It was coming in from all over the NE, and the South. Heard a few TN, OH, and some others down your way, and lots of up North stuff. Maybe it will pick up today again. I'll pull out my Icom 746 if it does. I am using my kenwood ts140s as I tend to bare to the side of caution when I first make a dipole LOL. That is my backup radio or one of them and it is puttin lg out full power of about 150w pep on SSB. Just doesn't have the sound like my Icom 746. At any rate, I'll get my thighs together and be ready to call out some CQ! Time to get back on the air a little!!

222DBFL
11-24-2016, 03:27 AM
Hope to hear you. I did hear a few peeps out of KY, 333, and some others. Most of them I know from past DX'ing. Good guys. Anyhow, again, hope to hear you and make contact.
And Happy Thanksgiving to you and to Everyone Else as well. Enjoy your day.

m168
12-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Matt, did you ever get that SB-200 working? I did not read every post, but no cobra alive is going to drive that amp at 2 or even 5 watts. The reason it won't key the relay is you need at least 35+ watts and 100 is better. I don't have one of those, but do have the Yaesu FL-2100b that is basically the same, and uses the same tubes. You need a big radio to drive that SB-200 and a foot pedal to key the relay. RF thru the COAX will do nothing. I used the Yaesu 101-E and now driving it with an RCI 2970N2.

I used mine for about a year on 11m and fried the tubes. Yeah, "they say" you can use it on the 10M band, but not for long. And you have to tune it every time you use it. Once I fried my tubes, I did the 11M mod to it, not hard, but you got to know what your doing. Now it puts out 600 PEP and SWR is flat on 27.385. No strain no pain. The good news is, they are making new tubes for them, 572b made by Taylor. If you need the link, let me know.

mattsowders1989
12-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Yes. I am currently using the SB-200. I have my cobra 142 going into a 100 watt drive that I have swinging from about 18 to 75 watts. I have a foot pedal on the amp. I am not pushing the amp to its limits though because I don't want to fry my tubes. I have added 2 extra fans as well. The amp is dead keying at 100 and swinging to about 425 to 450 watts.

m168
12-05-2016, 07:44 PM
OK, Good. Sounds like you got it worked out. You can buy new tubes here. https://www.rfparts.com/

mattsowders1989
12-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Where can I find this mod you speak of?

m168
12-06-2016, 03:41 AM
I uploaded the txt file to my website here; http://www.flashbax.com/downloads/tune-11m-fl-2100b.txt