PDA

View Full Version : antenna tuning

Squirrel Slayer
12-21-2016, 05:42 AM
If I tune an antenna to a one-to-one match for one radio would it have to be returned if I put in another radio in the vehicle or would the same turning be acceptable or would I have to retune it to the new radio?

JesseJamesDallas
12-21-2016, 05:54 AM
Once the antenna is tuned...Your done. Only time you may want to recheck the antenna, is if you move it, (different mounting location) or stick it on a different vehicle.

Changing radios doesn't affect the antenna.

222DBFL
12-21-2016, 06:25 AM
And if changing radios does affect the tune of the antenna, you may have a radio issue!! But like JJD said, tune it and it's done unless you move it or have a coax issue or something happens to the antenna like being hit hard and making the mount move or if it's a magnet mount knocking it off the vehicle. Have a good one.
And Merry Christmas to All. Hope everyone has a good one!!! Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to get a new antenna[emoji106][emoji106]. Been eying the SPT500. Will see though as 4 kids will kill your wallet fast LOL!!!!

Squirrel Slayer
12-21-2016, 06:32 AM
I thank you very much I run a Galaxy 949 right now but I think for Christmas Santa Claus is bringing me something
different and I wasn't sure if I had to go through all that trouble again. I use a 108 inch whip and I got it down to 1.2 on both 1 and 40 so I'm a happy camper with that. But thanks again and Merry Christmas !

Mike5511
12-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Did you cut the whip? How did you "get it down".

wookie
06-01-2019, 01:55 PM
please bear in mind that a 1:1 SWR on an SWR meter can be deceptive as it only reads forward and reverse voltages and not reactance or resistance therefore you could get a perfect SWR you can find you power on transmit could be low and your not getting out so just adjust your SWR to 1.2:1 and always have a perfect setup hope this helps

BOOTY MONSTER
06-04-2019, 07:28 AM
how is 1.2 more "perfect" than 1.1 ?

use a antenna analyzer for the most accurate antenna tuning .

wookie
06-08-2019, 05:11 PM
1.2 is better than 1:1 if using an SWR meter because as ii explained it cannot read reactance and this is a tried and tested method for those that do not have deep pockets to afford an antenna analyser.
please re read carefully my post and you will see the answer to your question.