PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed For A Reasonable Home Base Setup

NYRAVEN
01-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Hello everyone, I am new here and my name is Chris. Nice to meet you !
It seems as though there is a wealth of knowledge here, and I'm hoping it can help me out. I haven't touched a CB in almost 40 years but am thinking of getting back in to it. I am not sure what I need in terms of equipment other than a radio and antenna to be honest. The mobile CB's I have looked at are reasonably priced but I'm not sure if they can be used in a home ? Probably a stupid question. I am in a wheelchair and have been for 27 years so money is kind of tight so the cheaper the better without buying total junk or maybe buying a decent used set up from someone here would be a fine option. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing your opinions and making some new friends along the way !

mattsowders1989
01-07-2017, 11:06 PM
Hi Chris. My name is Matt. I’ve only been in it for about a year and a half but I have been learning very much, mainly from this forum. A good affordable setup would be a mobile radio IMHO. Here is what I would do if I wanted something good but in my budget:

Cobra 29LTD Classic - $85
HYS TC-300 Linear Amplifier (about 150 watts on AM) - $130
Solarcon A-99 Antenna - $85
Pyramid PSV300 Power Supply - $64

These items and prices are from Amazon. This would be the starter setup that will get you going that I would recommend. I would also recommend getting the radios output power turned down to at least 1.5 watt dead key. I use a tc-300 as a driver and that’s what I’ve seen its best performance at. That would be a good yet affordable start IMHO. Let me know if you have any questions!!!

mattsowders1989
01-07-2017, 11:10 PM
I would also get a SWR meter as well because the SWR meters in radios suck! You can find them on Amazon cheap as well.

NYRAVEN
01-07-2017, 11:13 PM
Hello Matt nice to meet you ! Thank you for the info. A question, since I am in a wheelchair can I tune the antenna on the ground before I have someone put it up higher ? Thank you !

mattsowders1989
01-07-2017, 11:18 PM
I would tune the antenna on the ground and check the SWR when it is up, But you may have to bring it down again if the SWR is different. I forgot to tell you the different pieces of coax you'll need. you will need a long one for the antenna and 2 jumpers for your amp, SWR meter, and radio

NYRAVEN
01-07-2017, 11:33 PM
Good food for thought. Thank you Matt !

mattsowders1989
01-07-2017, 11:36 PM
No problem. Hopefully sometime when the DX is rolling, we can make contact! I'll be here if you need any other advice!!
677 and this super modulated FL Studio injected Cobra station, got down and gone!

222DBFL
01-08-2017, 07:53 AM
Normally the A99 comes pre tuned for the CB band and most likely won't need much if any adjustment as far as tuning goes.
There are other options for a power supply as well.
MegaWatt power supplies are small and work very well and offer a good amount of amperage as well for the price. I believe their 30 amp model is only $50 plus $8 shipping. As for a radio if you plan on using AM only, can't go wrong with a cobra 29. If you plan on getting into SSB, the uniden 980 is a great Radio for a starter.
Also look at the IMAX 2000 antenna as well. They are much longer than the A99. Also if you get the A99 don't forget the ground plane kit or GPK. This will help with CMC issues or RFI/TVI issues. Don't forget to get a couple ground rods as well. 5/8" x 8ft ones can be purchased at Home Depot, as well as the wire needed to ground your antenna mast and your equipment. A surge arrester is a good idea as well. There is a lot to think about and to get when installing a base station setup versus a mobile one. A push up pole at least 30ft. would be a good choice as well. These are just some of the things you will need for a proper install of a base station. You will most likely need help with the antenna install. I wouldn't do this by yourself. Just some food for thought. Have a good one and enjoy the forum.

mattsowders1989
01-08-2017, 07:57 AM
Hey Sean, good advice. He is in a wheelchair so he will have to have someone else install the antenna. I figured that setup would be a good starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JesseJamesDallas
01-08-2017, 07:46 PM
I said it before, and I'll say it again...

CB = "Constantly Buying"...

mattsowders1989
01-08-2017, 10:01 PM
I said it before, and I'll say it again...

CB = "Constantly Buying"...

Haha!!! You got that right.

222DBFL
01-09-2017, 07:51 AM
Yep JJD is 110% on the money!! You will never be satisfied LOL!
Best thing I can tell you is to spend as much as you can on a good antenna system. Antenna, coax, connectors, surge arrester, and so forth. Also make sure you have a good ground system setup. Look up how they ground communication towers. A single point ground system is what you want. If it were me, I would at least get the IMAX 2000 with the ground plane kit, which are the radials that stick out at the base of the antenna. Even if you choose the A99, do the same. Get a ground plane kit. And also a 1:1 balun or isolating balun. This will help with keeping your neighbors happy as well as your electronics. It may seem like a lot, but you don't want to get a close by lightning strike or EMP, and have or destroy your entire station and some!! Do your research before you buy is the key. Good luck and be safe!!

NYRAVEN
01-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Question...If I get the Bearcat 980ssb and use the Solarcon 99 antenna do I need to get a separate antenna to talk on the sidebands or will the 99 work for both the regular CB and sudeband channels ?

mattsowders1989
01-09-2017, 11:26 AM
The antenna will support both AM and SSB. The barecat 980 is a good radio.

222DBFL
01-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Yep. Just like Matt stated, it will work on AM, FM, and SSB. You can't TX on FM, but it will work on FM as well as the other modes mentioned. Again, I really would take a look at the IMAX 2000. It's a better antenna then the A99. Built better and it's much longer which is another good thing. Not downing the A99, it will work fine, but the IMAX 2000 will work better if setup properly. JMHO.

NYRAVEN
01-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Again, I really would take a look at the IMAX 2000. it will work fine, but the IMAX 2000 will work better if setup properly. JMHO.
I must have missed something. What is the correct setup...Do you mean tuned ? Sorry I am so ignorant to this stuff and am trying to put together the different pieces here. It seems like everything has its own setup lol.

mattsowders1989
01-10-2017, 08:38 AM
Yes he means tuned. Most antennas come with instructions for assembly and tuning. If you follow them carefully, you won't have any issues.

NYRAVEN
01-10-2017, 08:40 AM
Yes he means tuned. Most antennas come with instructions for assembly and tuning. If you follow them carefully, you won't have any issues.

Oh ok. Thank you !

mattsowders1989
01-10-2017, 10:05 PM
If you have any other questions, don't hesitate. I'm always on this forum.

NYRAVEN
01-10-2017, 10:46 PM
Hi Matt ! I tried to reply before and wouldn't let me. I sent you a visitor message on your page with my phone number if you have a min to call me I have a few questions for you. Thanks man !

222DBFL
01-11-2017, 05:04 AM
The IMAX 2000 is an antenna like the A99. It is longer and with the addition of the Ground Plane Kit it makes for a better antenna overall due to it being so much taller. From approx. 18ft which is how long the A99 is, versus the IMAX 2000, which is 24ft tall. Also make sure to get a good isolating balun, stay away from the MFJ products, they aren't very well made.
And again, if you have neighbors close by make sure that your antenna is up as high as you can get it as well as making sure you are putting out a clean signal. Another good piece of equipment is a good Low Pass Filter. The RF Limited DF3000 Low Pass Filter is a good one for the money. If you cake find a used Drake or Bencher. They are good ones too and can be found on Craigslist as well as a lot of other things you might need to set up a base station. Buy the radio new as well as the coax. Other things you can get off CL. That is JMO. There is a lot to setting up a proper base station and to make it work at its best. Yes you can throw one together and be on the air, no doubt. But it most likely won't work as good as someone that took their time and got all the necessary equipment needed. These are all JMHO's. I'm sure Matt will explain this to you. Be safe and again, don't rush things. The DX cycle is going to be pretty dead for a while!! Best best is to find some locals!!
73 and God Bless
222 Daytona Bch., FL

222DBFL
01-11-2017, 06:18 AM
And please don't think I am trying to be rude. That is truly not my intention.
Just want to help you get the most bang for your buck. One place you don't want to skimp is the antenna system.
Antenna, coax, connectors, and so one, will be the key to a good base setup. Also a good ground system, surge protection, and a clean signal producing signal radio. Power supplies are all over the place. I have a 36 amp MegaWatt power supply, and my radio is an Icom 746. It uses about 20-25 amps. And I have never had an issue with power or amperage. The 30 amp model is a good buy as well. Just food for thought.

mattsowders1989
01-11-2017, 09:52 AM
Good info Sean. I agree. Antenna system and how it's set up is crucial.

mattsowders1989
01-11-2017, 10:45 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170111/63e04f13cc968854e16b3255d0d7b860.jpg

Following up on our phone conversation last night,
This is a simplified little diagram that shows you how what you are wanting should be ran.

NYRAVEN
01-11-2017, 09:56 PM
Thank you for the information guys I appreciate it !

222DBFL
01-12-2017, 05:19 AM
No worries sir. Will help as much as I can!! And like I said before. Whatever you do, don't and I repeat, don't skimp out on the antenna and related parts. It will make or break the way you make contacts both locally and in DX land. A $10k radio and a POS antenna makes for a nice $10k door stop!! This is JMO. But I would spend as much as you can on the antenna setup. Get the best antenna you can afford. Not one to just get on air. You won't be happy if you do it that way. I know I wasn't satisfied until I got a good antenna up. I use a Sirio vector 4000. It's almost 28ft long and will talk quite a ways locally and does awesome DX'ing. These are JMHO's, but I think most will agree with what I am saying. Again, please be safe with everything you do or have done. And ask as many questions as needed. The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Have a good day to all and 73 and God Bless.
222 Daytona Beach, FL
Sean

222DBFL
01-12-2017, 05:21 AM
If you are truly in need of help and have little money, look around the forums for radios for sale. And also like I said before, check your local CL.