PDA

View Full Version : Software Defined CB Radios Yet?

PhazLockLoop
01-14-2017, 12:33 PM
I have a generic RTL SDR dongle that receives 11 meters like you wouldn't believe, way better then my Cobra mobile & of course naturally my Uniden portable. I know Flex & Genesis makes SDR ham transceivers that absolutely (According to the hacker gurus) cannot be hacked or modded to work on 11 meters. They say it just cannot be done, so with that having been uttered is there a SDR CB on the market or maybe even in the works? Is there a CB or 11/10 meter transceiver that has or can have an SDR style waterfall display added to it? Thanks in advance & above all enjoy.

jamesweaver86
01-15-2017, 02:18 PM
I let u know ow went mine gets in

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

doughboy
01-17-2017, 08:27 PM
Apache labs sdr work everywhere they recieve simply checking a box also sdr 1000 will work on 11 meters and flex radios will but you cant get the firmware from flex without a mars license

PhazLockLoop
01-21-2017, 12:23 AM
I was talking about Flex to a really cool 10 meter ham & he said Flex is so scared of getting jumped on by the FCC & the ARRL that they tell anybody that even asks about an 11 meter convert they tell them their firmware won't allow their radios to convert to 11 meters even with mod or hack attempts like the scanners did with their cellphone frequency blocking firmware. I e-mailed Flex documenting my ARC ID proving my DAT volunteer status & requested a convert & even the Mars release & they never e-mailed me back. Well so much for that.

doughboy
01-21-2017, 01:00 AM
Yes they are very gaurded and will only accept a valid Mars license they will not even provide it to a vendor it is also bound to your callsign I have an unlocked 1500 and had an unlocked 5000 I now use an Apache labs anan much better radio

PhazLockLoop
01-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Hold on a minute while I pick myself up off the floor after seeing the prices of those Apaches, the Flex 1500 looks like the affordable ticket, they ever have them on Ebay?

doughboy
01-21-2017, 03:44 PM
When comparing the Apache labs to the current 6000 series flex radios they are actually more affordable the older flexes 1500 3000 5000 are not really in the same class but they are still great radios look into the anan 10e about 950 brand new it's only a 10watt radio but just add an amplifier the main difference between that and the bigger models are output wattage is lower only 2 simultaneous receivers vrs 7 and a few less inputs and outputs that can be added the 10e still outperforms any older flexes and is completely open as far as transmit

doughboy
01-21-2017, 03:49 PM
There's a 1500 on eBay now but at 695 it's probably not unlocked the unlocked versions command a premium right up around the 900 dollar anan price

222DBFL
01-22-2017, 06:26 AM
Doughboy, let me ask this. I don't know much about the SDR stuff. I know and have heard too many times that the Apache Labs Anan is the way to go if you get one!! That is for sure hands down from how many people I have heard speak about them.
I guess I need to read up more on them and the pros/cons of having one. If they are as good as being said they are by very reputable people, it's worth every penny!! Thanks for the post. Hope all is well your way. DX is almost non existent at the moment here. Locals Only!!! Anyways. Have a good one and God Bless.

222DBFL
01-22-2017, 07:01 AM
What is needed to make them TX on 11m?? I see where they operate 160m-10m if not mistaken, but no mention of mars mod or anything of the such other than possibly having open source input. Or be able to open that area through the software?? I am asking here. Thanks for any responses. Curious d now interested!! Would be worth selling off a bunch of stuff I don't use to get one of these. Even a used one!! Again, any info on the 11m subject is truly appreciated.

doughboy
12-21-2017, 02:37 PM
just checked my anan you just pull down the drop down box and select extended region then it transmits 11 meters could of swore it used to be a check box maybe i was thinking of a version of powersdr or something

doughboy
12-23-2017, 01:47 PM
i have one right in front of me working on 11 meters right now

doughboy
12-23-2017, 01:59 PM
my anan on 11 meters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1xtsRX6_pA&feature=youtu.be

doughboy
12-23-2017, 03:53 PM
maybe he does not have the software set correctly it makes no sense as the radios are open source you can put any firmware you want which are available all over i have a 200 right here and a 10e both are working on 11 meters with the newest firmware not the gigabit firmware that is not released to the public yet still in beta i can do 11 meters with both thetis and powersdr mrx software also i used to have a 100d that worked on 11 meters fine as well simply by moving the drop down in setup to Extended

doughboy
12-23-2017, 03:57 PM
this makes it work on 11

doughboy
12-23-2017, 04:09 PM
the 8000 may be locked i have not had experience with that unit

doughboy
12-23-2017, 07:19 PM
i just confirmed with apache labs all anan radios will transmit on 11 meters you had me worried because i was looking at a new one

doughboy
12-23-2017, 09:04 PM
Even if the firmware it came with was locked it can just be reflashed to another firmware takes 30 seconds and they can not lock it to not be flashable as the radios are open source they are not allowed by licensing agreements to lock the hardware from being reflashed its not flex where the firmware is private it's built by a community not by Apache labs apache labs is making some of the hardware and assembling nice neat radios you don't even have to buy these from Apache you can buy boards and build them yourself Apache just made it easy attached is a reply from Apache labs numerous people in the Apache labs Yahoo group have said this is just not true at all their radios work some bought within the last month or so did you by any chance use a database backup from your friends 200 2310