PDA

View Full Version : How Far have you talked?

harlyworkr
06-12-2017, 04:12 AM
Yesterday my son and I were talking on the radio and the skip was bad on channel 19 so we went to a different quieter channel to continue to talk. Shortly after we started our conversation it seems the skip followed us but this time they were trying to talk to us.

We decided to purchase a map and start putting a pin on locations we are able to connect with. Now keep in mind, we are not running any amplifiers and we have a basic Cobra 2000gtl with a A-99 5/8 ground plane about 35 feet off of the ground.

My question here is... How far have you reached (as the crow flies) to someone else? Our best so far is a gentleman called "Keystone" who lives in Pennsylvania which is about 781 miles as the crow flies. He was very excited!

How far have to reached?

JesseJamesDallas
06-12-2017, 05:11 AM
Think I have hit just about all 50 States by now...Not real sure about a couple up in the New England area tho other than Maine...Have also talked from one end of Canada, to the other...Jamaica, the Bahama's, and most of the Caribbean Islands...Australia, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, and a few Country's in South America...

All contacts were on the regular 40 CB Channels, and most contacts on channel 28, and 38lsb...

Some with a amp turned on some without...Most of the overseas contacts were done on channel 38lsb barefoot. And most were made on my Cobra 2000GTL, and either my MaCo shooting star beam, or my old L4 Quad I had before the MaCo, up on a 50' tower...

harlyworkr
06-12-2017, 09:31 AM
I have not made it out of the states yet but I only just fired up my system after 30 years in a box. I think we as a group should have our own set channel and time so we can meet each other on the airways sometime. I can't seem to get my LSB working as I can't seem to tune anyone in correctly. Everyone sounds like Alvin and the chipmunks.

JesseJamesDallas
06-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Ssb is like that...you just have to pick out a station and try to fine-tune them in...personally I don't like getting on SSB while in the mobile because of having to keep adjusting the channel to hear people...it's as bad as texting and drivimg...not that big a deal on the base tho.

mattsowders1989
06-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Yesterday my son and I were talking on the radio and the skip was bad on channel 19 so we went to a different quieter channel to continue to talk. Shortly after we started our conversation it seems the skip followed us but this time they were trying to talk to us.

We decided to purchase a map and start putting a pin on locations we are able to connect with. Now keep in mind, we are not running any amplifiers and we have a basic Cobra 2000gtl with a A-99 5/8 ground plane about 35 feet off of the ground.

My question here is... How far have you reached (as the crow flies) to someone else? Our best so far is a gentleman called "Keystone" who lives in Pennsylvania which is about 781 miles as the crow flies. He was very excited!

How far have to reached?

That's pretty good on a barefoot radio. That 5/8 wave antenna helps too because of how they are made. I've talked to Ontario, Canada multiple times. But I also had a 200 watt dk swinging to 1000 watts. That's good distance though. Happy DXing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattsowders1989
06-12-2017, 02:09 PM
And that's AM. Not SSB. Side band is a totally different story. I've talked out of the continent on side band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Beatlejuice
06-12-2017, 02:51 PM
talking skip is fun ,but carrying on a conversation while the skip is running can be hard .the longest distance i have talked was kawait on 27.555 usb early monrning about 900 am . working conditions was a cobra 2000gtl with extra channels, an my driver box which is a 1 tube 811a box i made to drive my heathkit sb 220 total was about 2300 watts out of my 4 element quad beam which is also home brew

EricExtreme
07-14-2017, 12:08 PM
All over the world. http://www.extremeradio.us/DX_Contact_Logs.html

mjd420nova
07-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Way, way back in the early '70s on 27.325 (before it became ch 32) was an international call freq. Contacts from the west were Singapore, Diego Garcia, Japan and Taiwan. Centered on Oahu (hawaii) contacts to the east were as far as the east coast, Florida, Georgia asnd the west coast was overwhelming. Many contacts in Australia and New Zealand. Using a Starduster M-400 standing on its ground plane on a flat roof and Pal VFO loading a GE 5825 SSB unit and a Varmint 100W amp. The channel could be quiet and local trafiic was nonexistant on the island, Until you let your location be known and then you're slammed with S-9 noise, so many calling at once, can't pick any ONE out of the mess.

TheRATT
07-19-2018, 02:23 PM
In the late 90s (things were so great then) from Seattle I worked Toronto (~4000 miles), Canada; a dude in the Aleutian Island chain who was stuck up there for the winter, and many southern California stations. I was a 148GTL with K40 trunk mount base loaded antenna.

Recently I've worked Montana, California and Arizona on my 980SSB and K40 trunk mount.

This weekend I hope to try my new ST-6666 and Sirio Performer mag mount if conditions are good!