PDA

View Full Version : The venerable 102" stainless whip

Backwoodsman
07-11-2017, 08:10 AM
I have a question.......i have been into cb radios for quite a long time.......i still have a question needs a good answere.....on the 102" antana do i need that spring or not? I don't understand a lot of tech tuff but my swr is lowest with a spring. I have read and been told this should not be the case and the spring will cause problems such as interference and even burn up my radios! Just wondering......because on my F-250 I am getting a 1:1 thru a 1:4 across 1 thru 40......and when on sidebands....the 102" whip works best for me....thankyou for any input.............

427 standing by...............

Backwoodsman
07-11-2017, 08:27 AM
I forgot to mention.....the present spring is not the usual 6" barrel spring....it is a 3" spring labeled as heavy duty......it is what I have for now and it works fine.....i also have heard and read that transmit while in motion like on the highway with a 102" is a no-go....but I have been doing this for years........just looking for any input.....

427...standing by....... <<

JesseJamesDallas
07-11-2017, 08:58 AM
The 102" whip is suppose to be a 1\4 wave antenna... but a 1\4 wave is 108"... by adding the spring you get closer to the 108" total height. (1\4 wave).

Whoever told you it causes interference or can burn up your radio using a spring is full of shit...

By the way, MFJ has a 108" whip you can get, and not need a spring.

Backwoodsman
07-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Thank you.......i was pretty sure that was the case just over the years many have attacked me with info that seemed to be completely off......i never have burned up a radio yet (run'em bare bones stock) and just found out after I posted that the radio shop that told me that after they messed up one of my radios no longer exists......thankyou for the input........i will also check out those 108" whips.....