PDA

View Full Version : Swr question

Backwoodsman
07-31-2017, 10:40 PM
Here is a goofy question.....i moved.....need to put my 102"as whip up as high as possible for my base....ok ....no problem.....runnin some copper as a ground plane.......i have a perfect 1 swr on 3 meters plus the radios meter (this is the mobile)with the 102ss. I put on a new in the box wilson 2000 trucker.....cannot get see below 3. Put a fiberglass 3' 4' and 5'.....3.45swr......i tried many locations on the pickup.....All get a 1 with 102"sswhip......3 0r more with even a wilson 2000 or the 5000....same coax even!....whats going on here? .

d_bro2001
08-04-2017, 02:50 AM
theres no better antenna for mobile use than the 102" whip. Anything else is just a compromise. the ones you mentioned will only perform at their best in one spot, on top of the roof, but even then its not going to match the whips performance. if you already have a whip then why you messin with the other junk

Backwoodsman
08-04-2017, 04:19 AM
The reason for the other junk is I want to set up my base and all I have is the 102" ss and all my 'other'antanas and different ways of mounting them......i guess I can leave the 102" on the truck and build (or buy)a wire dipole....saw one for arround 30$(was a double bazooka I think)those are my only options to have a base and a mobile........i really hate to be without a mobile and miss a base....

Backwoodsman
08-04-2017, 04:28 AM
And i just found a 102"ss whio for rhe same price as the dipole! Ok....got it figured out and when I can get this base set up we will see what happens.....thankyou for the input....427 is backin down..

d_bro2001
08-06-2017, 04:01 AM
yeah you could go with the wire, but I never thought they did as good once you switched to the horizontal orientation of the wire dipole. I stiil say the whip is best and the fact you want to stick it on the roof of the house doesn't change my thinking one bit. it should work up there just as well as it does on a truck. if your concerned with the ground plane, do like my old man taught me. cut a length of 10 gauage stranded wire about 102"long bolt it to the ground side of the mount and let it hang straight down. don't worry about radials try that

Backwoodsman
08-06-2017, 07:53 AM
Copy that buztanut......will do......thanks for the input .......427..wavin at ya ....standing by

d_bro2001
08-07-2017, 02:24 AM
that's actually a pretty good set up. the trick would be to get it as high as possible above the roof line. meaning of course, cutting a 102" metal pole and attach your mount to the top of the pole maybe a chimney strap to hold up the pole. with it like that you can forget about the hanging wire. you'll have good wind load against those supercells and you can load some watts on that whip too

Backwoodsman
08-07-2017, 04:07 AM
Not a bad idea........sort of a vertical dipole.....still gotta ground the setup after I decide on what/how to build this......say....would that then be somewhat directional?

d_bro2001
08-09-2017, 05:20 PM
no its still going to be Omni. as far as grounding the whole set up, do ground the rig and amplifier(if used) but as far as the antenna goes, remember this designed to be mobile so everything south of the mount its looking for a car body or as suggested a 102" length of wire. anything else you do south of the mount is viewed as the ground plane so a long wire to attach to a ground rod will be just that 102" on top and 50 ft on bottom. mismatch, 20 ft pole isolate the mount from pole contact and use 102" wire or in the unlikely scenario of a 102" pole not isolated, but securely mounted and at a height that's good (chimney mount) the wire is better because you can easily trim to tune if its lightning your concerned with then were going to have a long egghead theory session pop some corn

Backwoodsman
08-10-2017, 12:03 AM
That's why I was thinking the whip and the 108"copper wire at a 45 degree angle....i haven't bought a second whip as of yet but I do have a francis that is 7' or so long I bought 20 years ago and never used...it has a perfect 1.0:1 swr where ever it is mounted on my truck. The radio shop that sold me it said that it has a resistor in the base to keep swr perfect.....and it has 2 wires running its length to produce a 2 decibel gain.....i might use that as I do not want it on my truck...seems the ss whip is more durable.......i might try this as soon as I get a power supply for the galaxy

Backwoodsman
08-10-2017, 12:06 AM
I also have lots of copper wire....silicone....and 1/2 " p v c pipe and pipe connectors....might build a big ugly antana......

d_bro2001
08-10-2017, 06:55 PM
that's why I like the 102"whip. I see it this way, its a solid piece of metal, tuned to the appropriate wavelength, what you see is what you got. no hidden caps coils or other components used to match the load. its kinda like the antenna tuners you see, that resister was probably added to make up for the missing 18" of metal on the 7ft whip. the problem is that it will lower the swr on a meter but its really not lowering the swrs just the needle of the meter, which you can do with resisters all the way down to a dummy load which will give you a perfect match on the meter even though you no that aint getting out. so be careful with your perfect 7 footer someone has added something to make it appear perfect(resister)

d_bro2001
08-10-2017, 07:15 PM
why do my responses disappear and how come I cant send a second reply without logging in again that's not gonna work for me

d_bro2001
08-10-2017, 07:17 PM
guess this forum doesn't like me to give you advice

d_bro2001
08-10-2017, 07:25 PM
102" whip is the best all steel cut to wavelength. no hidden caps resistors or coils to make the antenna match its load. what you see is what you get. your 7 footer has a resister added to make the radio appear to be a perfect match. its just like a junkie antenna tuner. it doesn't tune the antenna, it just lowers your swr reading to make you happy its still performing like a mismatch antenna I promise you remember you can pile up resistors till the point you've made a dummy load. they match great on the meter but they don't get out

doughboy
08-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Try clearing your web browser cache

BOOTY MONSTER
08-11-2017, 08:38 AM
folks get so caught up with the length of the radiator they forget that it is only half of the antenna , the other half is the ground element .... which may be wires or tubes or the metal in the body/frame of a vehicle . adjusting the length , size shape/angle or centering of that/those ground element(s) will adjust the tuning/vswr of the antenna for a given frequency and that amount will vary from install to install . ground element angle/shape and curvature (on vehicles) can also greatly effect the performance and design of the antenna ......

BTW ..... 102's typically had or have a spring or spacer under them to give a few extra inches to get closer to being resonate on the CB band . sometimes folks get lucky and find it is plug and play , and sometimes there's work involved ......