PDA

View Full Version : sigma 4

source
11-05-2017, 02:59 AM
this is my home built ant#

BOOTY MONSTER
11-05-2017, 10:25 AM
looks like the 3 armed targa version . how does it perform for you ?

source
11-05-2017, 10:38 AM
very good .talk all around the world.these ant you dont put high for them to get out .i love the ready made ant .so i am plainning to sell this one and buy one of the vector 4000 .because the light weight of the antennea .i monitor 27.595 lsb .so if you hear condition in there you can call unit 921 bucket other call (prime minister ).my country jamaica

222DBFL
11-05-2017, 12:08 PM
I have had pretty good luck with the antenna, but as said, it doesn’t like heavy winds or weather. If you live where it’s not bad most of the time it’s a great antenna to put up!! If you have bad weather often, the Sirio 2016 or even the USA made Shockwave antenna would be the way to go. Another alternative would be to put a 3 element beam up at 10-20ft. I just put one up yesterday at a friends at 40ft. It’s works very well. And it was not bad to tune with the MFJ analyzer. Just not enough DX for me to get mine back up yet. It’s still on the ground from the last hurricane. Irma! Here is my vector 4K on the ground.
It’s a great antenna. But a PITS to put up/down. It’s only about 4ft off the ground currently. Just waiting to go back up. When or if it Evers cools down here in FL., I will eventually put it back up one day. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171105/06005c8440d0e0ba3b298c1e7da7ea86.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171105/863bff8fa895fe0058b1b61135fa9d50.jpg

source
11-05-2017, 01:10 PM
i know the price for them .what price you get this one for.and where did you bought it

222DBFL
11-05-2017, 01:52 PM
I got mine from DNJ Radio. Don’t remember price. I think around $150 with shipping. Maybe a bit more.

source
11-05-2017, 02:32 PM
ok thanks you i will shop around

BOOTY MONSTER
11-05-2017, 11:13 PM
you can always make a beefy version yourself .

source
11-06-2017, 04:30 AM
very busy know no time to do :300 (214):that

Mike5511
12-24-2017, 02:48 PM
I read something one time about how to beef the Vector 4000 up a little. Not sure the idea was a good one. Something about wooden dowels at all the joints. I don't really see how that would do a whole lot.

222DBFL
12-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Yeah I would think that wooden dowels in all the joints would just add a lot of weight. Only way to truly make one more robust is to build it with heavier gauge aluminum. They are a great antenna, just not made for windy areas. Just my experience with the one I have.

source
12-25-2017, 12:11 AM
you can do some changes on them if you like .my friend has one and he does that .like the gamma rod and some other changes on it

Mike5511
12-25-2017, 06:47 AM
you can do some changes on them if you like .my friend has one and he does that .like the gamma rod and some other changes on it
I'd be interested to know what the changes are. I've got one I've never taken out of the box yet. Is that tape on the joints or heat shrink?

222DBFL
12-25-2017, 12:37 PM
I used heavy duty heat shrink on all of my joints. Don’t know if it does much. But it’s not heavy and seems to give the vertical whip some rigidity over just screwing it together. Booty Monster is the one to speak to about these antennas. He has done a lot of experimenting with them. There is also a company that sells a beefed up version of the vector 4000. It’s not cheap though!!! Can’t remember at the moment who that was. It I did see them for sale. They were quite heavy as well. A great antenna for both local and DX. But if you live in an area with inclement weather and high winds, you may want to look into something like the Shockwave antenna made in the USA. Just my thoughts.

Mike5511
12-25-2017, 01:39 PM
I used heavy duty heat shrink on all of my joints. Don’t know if it does much. But it’s not heavy and seems to give the vertical whip some rigidity over just screwing it together. Booty Monster is the one to speak to about these antennas. He has done a lot of experimenting with them. There is also a company that sells a beefed up version of the vector 4000. It’s not cheap though!!! Can’t remember at the moment who that was. It I did see them for sale. They were quite heavy as well. A great antenna for both local and DX. But if you live in an area with inclement weather and high winds, you may want to look into something like the Shockwave antenna made in the USA. Just my thoughts.
I've had one for a couple of years. Just never have put it up. I figure I'll go ahead use it since I already have it.

mjd420nova
12-28-2017, 01:49 PM
I loved that Sigma 4. What range and high takeoff angle, perfect for skip. Wooden dowels? I would be more inclined to put heat shrink tubing on all the joints where possible. I have tried anodizing and it looks nice but the joints need to be cleaned of the deposits before assembly.

source
12-29-2017, 08:28 PM
i dont purchased the vector 4000 yet but i love ready made ant .because of it light weight.what i have been told they made over the gama rod using hot water pipe .using a longer lenght so what it does is cover more part of the band and also more watts ok .i can get the measurment for you ok .and a little bit more lenght on the vertical .the one you see in the picture above i made that one sigma 4 homemade built

BOOTY MONSTER
01-17-2018, 09:26 AM
.what i have been told they made over the gama rod using hot water pipe .

don't know %100 , but i'd bet they don't use water pipe for the gamma . they may use something chemically similar to PEX for the insulator in the gamma though . many folks/hams have used PEX for insulator material in gamma matches and i have also and it does a fine job . it's not electrically conductive and won"t absorb moisture .

IMO if you're concerned about the weather durability of the 4K and WILL NOT build a stronger version from scratch just get a gainmaster . unless you're running north of a kilowatt or more .