PDA

View Full Version : President texas

Renegade6811
12-28-2017, 10:18 AM
Has anyone tried this antenna? Was thinking about the sirio 5000 but also seen this antenna and was kinda leaning towards it but haven't found any reviews.
Thanks for any information you can give me.

222DBFL
12-28-2017, 03:47 PM
I am pretty sure it's a rebranded antenna. You would jejch better of with the Sirio 5000. They are a good antenna that has made many contacts around the world and locally as well. They tune well and performance is near a 102" whip. For what they are they are worth the money. Just my experience with them.

Renegade6811
12-31-2017, 10:54 AM
Ok sirio turbo 5000 it is I'm ordering one this week. It will be going on top of my work van till summer then in between my van and truck 😎.

222DBFL
12-31-2017, 12:34 PM
How tall is the van? It will most likely hit some things with it. But they work well. With a stocl uniden 980 doing about 8-10 Watts on SSB, I was able to consistently make local contacts out to about 30 miles here in FL. Maybe a touch more, but reliably to 30 miles when the conditions weren’t just total crap. You will most likely have to cut a small bit of whip. I started cutting mine from the top instead of the bottom to try and maintain at least a little more rigidity. Just make sure to take your time and make small cuts. 1/8”-1/4” at a time.
Also not sure what or which type mount you will use, be it magnet or hard mount. I’ve found that the Sirio PL145 magnet mount is a good one, but if you plan on making it a permanent install do yourself a favor and get a good hard mount. Breedlove mounts id what I have used on a few different vehicles, and I can honestly say they are worth every penny. Well built and will most likely outlast the vehicle. They are a bit costly, but again, IMO worth every penny. If you decide to go with the magnet mount you can make it very strong by adding another magnet on the underside of where you place the one on the roof. This will help with keeping it in place even if it takes a good hit. Also make sure if you use a magnet mount that you clean under the magnet often. Moisture will build up under it, and it definitely affects the tune of the antenna. Just some of my experiences with this antenna. I’ve owned the Turbo, Performer 5k, and the 4000 hi-pwr antennas as well as a few of Sirios base antennas. The mobile antennas are very good for what they are, and performance will vary on height of the install and how good the install is. Again, it pays to take your time and install it properly. It will thank you with many contacts. Hope some of this epilogue helps. Good day and Happy New Year!

Renegade6811
12-31-2017, 06:20 PM
Thank you I did go with the 145 pl mag mount and the sirio street fighter 5000. Looks the same as the performer but it's camo. I'll be hooking it up to a 980SSB with the kl203p amp. So Jan 5-10 is when it will be here and hopefully I'll be able to hear you on the air sometime.
Happy New Year

222DBFL
12-31-2017, 08:20 PM
No worries. Enjoy. And Happy New Year as well. Hopefully 2018 will have some DX!!

Renegade6811
12-31-2017, 11:27 PM
God I hope so maybe my antennas are good and it's just that dead out there lol. But anyways I ordered the sirio street fighter which looks like the performer but in camo. That's all they had in stock and the sirio 145 pl mag mount. So it should be here between the 5th to the 10th.
Happy New year

Renegade6811
01-11-2018, 10:27 PM
Well I got my antenna and they sent me the wrong mag mount so now I'm waiting again darn it