PDA

View Full Version : ground rod resistance vs. depth

BOOTY MONSTER
01-17-2018, 11:58 AM
interesting video on ground rod resistance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2OtgeDkTLs

5/8 x 10 ft ground rod at lowes . $16
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Galvan-0-625-in-x-10-ft-Copper-Grounding-Rods/3488681

what's your opinion on adding ground rods to a base station ? absolutely necessary ? not needed ? and the ever popular , depends .... ?

222DBFL
01-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Coming from being a cell site tech and installer, yes a proper ground system is key to a good station and a safe one. You have to do it properly is the key. Reading up on the standard for installing a commercial tower will give you a good idea of how to do things properly for a solid ground system. Lots of variables that can make or break a good ground system.

ShadeTreeMechanic
01-27-2018, 02:07 PM
Interesting video. I have seen people put 4 or 5 ground rods in the same place. I guess they should be spread apart. How much is really needed I don't know. I need to ground my starduster pole and I am just going to use a single rod. Something is better than nothing.

BOOTY MONSTER
12-01-2020, 09:05 AM
bump for new folks asking about grounding

OCme
12-08-2020, 09:03 AM
more ground rods equals less ohms for a better pathway for electrons to travel. Spacing them three to four feet apart should be sufficient. Use solid core wire not stranded and weld the connection of the wire to the rod if you can, if not make sur its well clamped.

mjd420nova
12-08-2020, 03:54 PM
Proper station grounds should be as close to the transmitter as possible. An 8 foot, copper clad, iron rod, 1 inch in diameter, driven into the ground all but 6 inches. Multiple grounds, spaced 7 feet apart(1/4 wavelength for 11 meters) will work well but in some areas, there can be a difference in the earth potential from ground to ground. I like to use a three foot hole with the rod placed and the hole filled in with rock salt and small pea gravel. Under the right conditions, added water to the hole can bring in some skip.