PDA

View Full Version : swing vs. rf output

mrbbob2
03-08-2012, 12:04 AM
I have 2 uniden pc68 radios and one of them has a swing kit installed and the other has output mods.
both radios produce around 22 watts but one is at dead key and the other is under modulation, it seems
to me that the unit with the swing kit seems to have a lot more clairity but i am unsure as to relibality and duarbility between the two. any additional input is cool as I havent installed either one yet.
Thanx in advance ,,Mrbbob2

BOOTY MONSTER
03-08-2012, 12:38 AM
on AM i want to dead-key about 25 percent of what it the radio/amp cleanly swing/modulate .

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/BOOTY-MONSTER/med_gallery_2560_14_21493.gif

noisemaker
03-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Depends on your setup. If you are running an amp with a driver then most folks like to dead key anywhere from .5 to 3 watts and let her swing. A carrier set at 22 watts may be pushing the envelope for that kind of radio, and for am- which would cause a little more of an over-driven sound. With a high carrier like that, you have a good chance of smoking a final. Are you getting a backwards (nagative) peak when you modulate with that radio?

I'd cut it back a bit. You shouldnt need more than a 10w dead key.

mrbbob2
03-08-2012, 10:37 PM
no i am not getting any negetive peaks unless my scope is lyin to me and i tend to agree that headroom is needed for modulation over and above dead key power and that is why i inquired as that is how the radio was set up when i got it i can however tell a definate difference in r.m.s. current sinking with the non swing radio using more current on average as opossed to the unit with the swing.
that being the case then i guess i will keep the swing radio and sell or trade the other off for something else.

noisemaker
03-09-2012, 10:30 AM
I can see the radio drawing more current if its maxxed out. I would try cutting it back first and see if she swings at all. I can understand a high carrier if it was talking on fm, but its not. Unless the previous owner was driving the snot out of a small amp. I do know if you drive a mass-produced amp with a printed circuit board like a palomar or texas star, you would most likely smoke the amp with a carrier that high. Did that radio have any final mods done, like a mosfet mod or does it have a stock final?

BOOTY MONSTER
03-09-2012, 10:33 AM
what is the radio dead-keying 22 watts swinging ?
you gotta have swing/pep to modulate .