PDA

View Full Version : General lee

1hawnfisherman
04-23-2018, 02:08 PM
Need help, I currently have a general lee cb radio, when I am using the normal mode "am and knob in the "D" " position the squelch and operation is normal, but when I switch the knob to the "A","B" or "C" positions the squelch doesn't seem to work and I can't hear the other person I'm talking to, is there something I'm doing wrong?

JesseJamesDallas
04-23-2018, 07:41 PM
"D" is the normal CB channels...If you switch the Band knob to a different letter (A,B, or C) then you are no longer on the CB Band, and whoever your talking to would also have to be on "A-B- or C" band to be able to even hear them...

1hawnfisherman
04-23-2018, 08:44 PM
Yes, they also have the same radio and when both of us switch to "A" , they can't hear me and I can't hear them, and we are within about 5 miles within each other on the ocean.

222DBFL
05-01-2018, 04:40 PM
Is the antenna tuned for the other frequencies? If it’s tuned for the CB band it may not work worth a hoot on the other bands which are not the same frequency as the CB band. Most antennas made for CB aren’t broad banded enough to use on 10-12 meters.

1hawnfisherman
05-01-2018, 11:34 PM
That might be the problem there, is there a antenna that you would recommend for that radio?

sonoma
05-02-2018, 08:18 AM
not sure what antenna you are using now but most antennas are not able to move that far down into the band you are trying to go to. most will just barely go down to about the upper channels of band C and the lower channels of band E. the antenna can be tuned to go that low but then you are not able to use the D band. you can check the swr of the antenna on say the upper channels of the C band and you will see the SWR going up when you drop down to say about channel 19 on the C band. if you are wanting to go down to the very low channels you would have to have a seperrat antenna to go that low. most antennas do well just to cover the 40 channels of each band.

1hawnfisherman
05-02-2018, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the help guys!!!

JesseJamesDallas
05-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the help guys!!!
The broadest-band antenna I have seen and used is the 102" whip...But even it will only safely cover 11 meter, and the 40 above and the 40 below...Like 222DBFL said, if your going farther off 11 Meter band than that, you'll need to either re-tune your antenna each time, or have a second antenna for the other bands...

If when your on "A" Band, if you were to check your SWR you will find it's probably pegging the meter!...good way to burn something up...