PDA

View Full Version : RM ITALY 203P Interference?

T-I-N-Y34
05-27-2018, 12:28 PM
I'm thinking about getting an RM Italy KL 203P for SSB. Its been awhile since I've messed with amps/linears. Will this interfere with my neighbors? They're about 50-60 foot away from my antenna. Or should I go with a lower wattage? Like a KL 60.

JesseJamesDallas
05-27-2018, 03:57 PM
doubtful that box will interfere with anything, even in your own house...In the past when amp's interfered with neighbors TV sets, that was before everything went "digital"...Now days your more prone to having something at your neighbors house interfering with your radio!

T-I-N-Y34
05-27-2018, 05:37 PM
doubtful that box will interfere with anything, even in your own house...In the past when amp's interfered with neighbors TV sets, that was before everything went "digital"...Now days your more prone to having something at your neighbors house interfering with your radio!
Well I know amps still interfere with stuff because there are videos of it happening on youtube. I just didn't know if this model would at this distance. I guess I was more or less looking for someone with this model amp on their base setup that had experience with it. Because if I get it and hook it up and it bleeds over to them..The guy will make it hell for us. This is the kind of guy that'll call the health department if you let your grass go for 3 weeks while on vacation.

JesseJamesDallas
05-27-2018, 06:11 PM
The videos your seeing on youtube, are box's that do "well-over" 1000w's, and with trashy radios built for key-down events...Yes, those will cause problems with your neighbors...they also cause problems for various other things like stop lights, burglar alarms, PA systems and more, they can even kill the motor in the truck they are in if they aren't properly grounded...The KL-203P is only a 100w amp...you'll be lucky if anyone even notices much of a difference with it turned ON or OFF...

When amps bleed all over things, in almost every case, it's not the amps fault, but rather the radio that is hooked-up to it's fault... "Trash in-Trash-out, only louder!"....Don't have your radio P&T to try and get every watt out of it, and you won't have a problem...

sonoma
05-27-2018, 06:30 PM
you can run the amp with a low in put also to keep things simple and the amp will not be pushing its own limits. if you look around you can find the 203P for about 65.00 shipped to the house when some one runs it on sale. i will see what I can find on a good price for you. the cheapest I saw so far is 79.00. the plain 203 is about 55.00 it does not have the preamp on it. the seller did not show free shipping but do not get in a hurry to buy an amp since they will go on sale at different places from time to time.

sonoma
05-27-2018, 06:56 PM
here you go, found one with a low price with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KL-203P-Mobile-Linear-Amplifier-by-R-M-Free-Worldwide-shipping/183233313554?epid=1100475027&hash=item2aa98e7b12:g:GCsAAOSwux5YMROz

T-I-N-Y34
05-27-2018, 07:08 PM
The videos your seeing on youtube, are box's that do "well-over" 1000w's, and with trashy radios built for key-down events...Yes, those will cause problems with your neighbors...they also cause problems for various other things like stop lights, burglar alarms, PA systems and more, they can even kill the motor in the truck they are in if they aren't properly grounded...The KL-203P is only a 100w amp...you'll be lucky if anyone even notices much of a difference with it turned ON or OFF...

When amps bleed all over things, in almost every case, it's not the amps fault, but rather the radio that is hooked-up to it's fault... "Trash in-Trash-out, only louder!"....Don't have your radio P&T to try and get every watt out of it, and you won't have a problem...
The videos I'm talking about were base stations bleeding over into peoples houses. I know they're probably running big watts but I'm just being safe. since I posted last I've spoken with a couple people that have this amp and they say when they ran it in their truck they would bleed over into other cars stereos sometimes. But when it was used on their base station it just messed with their computer speakers and baby monitor...LOL

T-I-N-Y34
05-27-2018, 07:10 PM
here you go, found one with a low price with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KL-203P-Mobile-Linear-Amplifier-by-R-M-Free-Worldwide-shipping/183233313554?epid=1100475027&hash=item2aa98e7b12:g:GCsAAOSwux5YMROz
Already had it on my watch list...ha ha But thanks. good looking out.

T-I-N-Y34
05-27-2018, 07:12 PM
you can run the amp with a low in put also to keep things simple and the amp will not be pushing its own limits. if you look around you can find the 203P for about 65.00 shipped to the house when some one runs it on sale. i will see what I can find on a good price for you. the cheapest I saw so far is 79.00. the plain 203 is about 55.00 it does not have the preamp on it. the seller did not show free shipping but do not get in a hurry to buy an amp since they will go on sale at different places from time to time.I planned on keying down around 1 watt with nothing else done to my radio except the modulation turned up a bit. Not 100% but more thanfactory.

JesseJamesDallas
05-27-2018, 09:14 PM
The videos I'm talking about were base stations bleeding over into peoples houses. I know they're probably running big watts but I'm just being safe. since I posted last I've spoken with a couple people that have this amp and they say when they ran it in their truck they would bleed over into other cars stereos sometimes. But when it was used on their base station it just messed with their computer speakers and baby monitor...LOL
Like I said...It's not the amp's fault for the bleeding...It's the radios fault...tweaked and peaked splatter box radios will bleed all over the place even with a 50w amp.

I run a 1x4 XForce with my RCI 2980wx, and a 2x4 tube amp with my Cobra 2000 GTL and neither set-up bleeds on anything in my house or my neighbors houses...They don't mess with the TV's, phones, or anything else...

AS LONG AS YOUR RADIO HAS NOT BEEN ALL HACKED UP, YOU'LL BE FINE WITH THAT LITTLE AMP...

Now...when I had my Suburban, that was not the case. I was going for MAX-POWER with it...It had a 4 pill Davemade, driving a 16 pill Davemade, 3 300 amp alternator's and 4 battery's to power the Amp's, and the radio I used was a Cobra 29 that had been tricked out to the max! When cranked-up, I could pull into certain car washes, key-up, and get free credits to wash the truck. It would also set off bank alarms if I was keying in the banks parking lot! It would cause Red Light Cameras strobe lights to flash, and bleed 40 up and 40 down on the band if you were within a couple blocks of me...This set-up was originally for Key Downs, but I used it daily anyway to talk from one end of Dallas county to the other...

Now...When I took that Cobra 29 out of the Suburban, and installed a factory Cobra 29 that just had the dead key turned down a little, it didn't bleed nearly as much but because of the mass amount RF radiating out, it would still over power some electronics...Were not talking about running a couple hundred watts here...but closer to 3200w's at 14v...crank the volts up to 16 to 18v and then see closer to 5000w's...which is allot of watts, but compared to what some guys run in their vehicles and Base set-ups, that's nothing.

https://i.imgur.com/fgxnYMu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jHJ1O2q.jpg

T-I-N-Y34
05-28-2018, 02:43 PM
Like I said...It's not the amp's fault for the bleeding...It's the radios fault...tweaked and peaked splatter box radios will bleed all over the place even with a 50w amp.

I run a 1x4 XForce with my RCI 2980wx, and a 2x4 tube amp with my Cobra 2000 GTL and neither set-up bleeds on anything in my house or my neighbors houses...They don't mess with the TV's, phones, or anything else...

AS LONG AS YOUR RADIO HAS NOT BEEN ALL HACKED UP, YOU'LL BE FINE WITH THAT LITTLE AMP... My radio has had the modulation turned up and it's only putting out about 2 1/2 watts. But if I get the amp I'll key down to 1 watt. SO I'LL BE FINE WITH MY LITTLE AMP...LOL

JesseJamesDallas
05-28-2018, 03:09 PM
My radio has had the modulation turned up and it's only putting out about 2 1/2 watts. But if I get the amp I'll key down to 1 watt. SO I'LL BE FINE WITH MY LITTLE AMP...LOL
That's what I was trying to tell you...:peace:

T-I-N-Y34
05-28-2018, 06:21 PM
That's what I was trying to tell you...:peace:
Well with this hobby you never know you to believe or trust... and that's sad really...I've had people tell me some crazy stuff when I ask questions. Like simple stuff like they don't want me to know or something.And this isn't from just one place. Butt...Since I posted I've talked to some people that have had kl 203p amp that have bleed but nothing to serious. Not bad enough to reach the neighbor's place but some computer speakers on the desk where the amp was and the house phone. Another had a brand new radio hooked up to one and it got into his phone and his car stereo in the garage. But other than just a couple small problems. There was nothing major.

JesseJamesDallas
05-28-2018, 07:14 PM
Only issue I have had with my base, was with the 1x4 XForce bleeding a little bit on my daughters head phones...I put a ferrite choke on the cord where the headphones plug is at, and that took care of that problem...But were also talking about a amp that kicks out just under 1000w's...My tube amps didn't mess with her headphones at all, and they do 700-800w's.

Most of the electronic devices that amps mess with, are usually the cheaper built stuff like computer speakers, cheap headphones or ear buds because those devices just don't have very good (if any) filtering... Flat screen TV set's are all digital, so no worries there.

T-I-N-Y34
05-28-2018, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I'd like to be able to run a high watt amp...But the budget just won't allow it...lol I'll barely be able to squeeze out the $70 for the kl 203p.

JesseJamesDallas
05-28-2018, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I'd like to be able to run a high watt amp...But the budget just won't allow it...lol I'll barely be able to squeeze out the $70 for the kl 203p.
Have to start somewhere...Actually you have the best idea...Best start off small till you get your feet wet...I've seen lots of guys go out and spend hundreds of dollars on big amps, only to blow them up in a few weeks because they didn't take the time to set everything up right to start with, then be out hundreds of more dollars trying to get their stuff fixed...Blow-up a $70 amp, you just get frustrated and a little ticked-off...Blow up a 400-500+ dollar amp, and first thing your doing is blaming the person who built the box, and turning around and buying another one from someone different thinking the first guy didn't know what he was doing...

Then after blowing the second box up, you start asking questions that you should have asked in the beginning...

Start off small, then work your way up...small boxs can be more forgiving if you don't quite have everything tuned perfect...Bigger the box, the less forgiving they are, and allot easier to screw up.

I should know...Think at one time the people down at the Toshiba factory knew me by name, as many pills as I was popping! :frusty:

sonoma
05-28-2018, 09:02 PM
Tiny one good thing is the 203p amp has the 1 dollar a piece mosfets in it. so cheap to change them out when and if they do blow. I have a kl203 amp which it does not have the preamp in it and I got it in about 202. normally I do not run a amp but have ran it ever once in a while and it puts out about 175 watts on SSB. it is all I really need since any thing larger does not really make much of a difference on the receiving radios.
I have a base RM amp which is the 550 and some texas star amps,250, 350 and 500V. I got them when I had a lul in cb radios until 1997 and got back into radios then. just like you I wanted more power and found the 203 was really all I needed. so do not jump into any thing big just to have it. in fact I got the 203 amp free with some radio purchases I made in the early 2000 time. I use to buy and sell a long with repairs.
I think you will be happy with the KL203P amp. at one time I had a tube amp that would put out almost 1,000 watts and sold it since tubes where getting hard to find .
Sonoma

T-I-N-Y34
05-29-2018, 05:01 AM
Tiny one good thing is the 203p amp has the 1 dollar a piece mosfets in it. so cheap to change them out when and if they do blow. I have a kl203 amp which it does not have the preamp in it and I got it in about 202. normally I do not run a amp but have ran it ever once in a while and it puts out about 175 watts on SSB. it is all I really need since any thing larger does not really make much of a difference on the receiving radios.
I have a base RM amp which is the 550 and some texas star amps,250, 350 and 500V. I got them when I had a lul in cb radios until 1997 and got back into radios then. just like you I wanted more power and found the 203 was really all I needed. so do not jump into any thing big just to have it. in fact I got the 203 amp free with some radio purchases I made in the early 2000 time. I use to buy and sell a long with repairs.
I think you will be happy with the KL203P amp. at one time I had a tube amp that would put out almost 1,000 watts and sold it since tubes where getting hard to find .
SonomaOh trust me...I'm not jumping into anything. I've talked to about 20 or so people that run this amp on a regular basis. I like what I hear. And this will probably be the only size amp I ever own... I just wanna talk a little skip is all.

JesseJamesDallas
05-29-2018, 05:33 AM
Oh trust me... And this will probably be the only size amp I ever own...
Hahaha! Need to bookmark this page....Famous last words...

"if I had a dollar for every time i've herd that...":bump2:

T-I-N-Y34
05-29-2018, 08:03 AM
Hahaha! Need to bookmark this page....Famous last words...

"if I had a dollar for every time i've herd that...":bump2:LOL...I'm going to have to fight for every dollar to pay for this one and it's only $70. Much less anything way up there.