PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Ontario

Viking2
11-25-2018, 02:31 PM
I started using CB again while helping out on a family farm.

...which led to me keeping a handheld in the car...which now has me shopping for an antenna for the car...

...which led my dad to break out his old 23 channel base station setup and 40 channel mobile...

I didn't realise how CB can snowball...

222DBFL
11-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Yes it can be addicting as heck!! A good antenna for the car that I highly recommend is the sirio performer 5000. They have a nice magnet mount as well, the PL145, or get yourself a good hard mount by Breedlove or similar and hard mount it on the top center of the roof. Good coax like lmr240, or some double shielded rg8x will do the trick. The old Antron 99 may not be best antenna but it will get you on air for relatively cheap. Again, good coax and connectors will help a lot as well. It’s been too long for me. One day I’ll get my setup back on air. Have plenty of LDF4-50a and my trusty sirio vector 4K. Along with an icom 746. Just need to get it back together!! Have fun and enjoy the radio!!

Viking2
11-26-2018, 06:26 PM
That Sirio Performer 5000 looks like a nice antenna. I found one up here in Canada, but am having a hard time finding a magnet.

I'll definitely keep my eyes open. I was looking at a Wilson 5000 but the Sirio looks studier and now that I have done some research it sounds like it will perform better too.

222DBFL
11-27-2018, 06:09 AM
Sirio makes a sweet magnet, the PL145. DNJ Radio is the place to look. Not sure about shipping to Canada, but I know from experience that the sirio performer 5k is a great antenna. I’ve driven the east coast of the US, and even up to Michigan and have had an awesome time using the sirio performer 5k and the PL145 magnet mount to make so many contacts I had to get a book to write them all down. From your area to over seas to Australia, I’ve made contacts and friends. Some I have not spoken to in a while, but they know me and I know them!! Look into the sirio performer 5k and the PL145 magnet mount. Change out the coax for something like some double shielded rg8x or even lmr240, and you’ll be a happy camper, promise!! Here is a pic of the PL145 magnet mount I speak of. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181127/5860efde76afce7991df439b1dc822a9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181127/fda7b9cea4fc95fb283ef4e6b5c41142.jpg

Viking2
11-27-2018, 11:15 AM
DNJ's page on Amazon.ca is where I found the Antenna, but they didn't have the magnet up.

They only had Taurus Triplex magnetic mounts.

I'll try contacting them through their website and see if I have better luck.

I may end up needing a spool of some good cable anyway. For the base station at one of the farms I help at I can probably get approval to put up a mast or tower, but it's going to have to be the other side of the tree line as to not effect the aesthetics of the house...I think that puts me roughly 115' to the bottom of the mast.

On the upside that is also the tallest point of the property and there is a clear sight line right over the lake.

222DBFL
11-27-2018, 11:46 PM
If you can’t get one from DNJ, look on amazon. That is where i got the info from in the pic above. Price is not bad either.