PDA

View Full Version : 6 digit fequency read out

whiteastro
02-06-2019, 07:39 PM
I don't have any experience in SSB but I am trying to learn so I can talk DX. I just bought a Galaxy DX 979 with a add on 347 6 digit frequency counter. Any one know where I can download a frequency read out chart for the upper and lower sideband of each channel. I am assuming it will be a little different than the AM read out, but I could be wrong. I've looked around on the internet but haven't found it yet. I don't want people saying I'm off frequency.

Thanks in advance

sonoma
02-06-2019, 09:49 PM
I did not find a channel chart to show each channel but the link for the mod shows where you get the extrs channels. what I do when I do not have a chart some one has posted I just hook my freq counter to the radio and verify just what each freq it TX ing on. wish I could find more for you but this is all I found.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170817110833/http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx979/dx979_freq_mod.htm

JesseJamesDallas
02-06-2019, 10:46 PM
Frequencies on the SSB channels is the same as they are on AM...just different mode...

Now when you go to a ssb channel, like 38lsb for instance, more than likely stations will sound "off frequency" when you first turn to the channel..."This is where you use the Clarifier Knob"...There's two things to turn on the Clarifier...the coarse knob, and the fine knob...

Have both Clarifier knobs turned to 12:00 position... Then when you hear someone that sounds like they are under water or on Helium, turn the "Fine Tune" knob until they sound more human...watch your frequency counter and don't get too far off or you may never get them to sound human.

Like say channel 38 lsb is 27.3850...you may have to fine tune to something like 27.3849 or 27.3847 to get the person you hear to sound normal...or could be 27.3852 etc....

Once you get the person tuned in, try and make your contact....It's always good to ask the person "How you sound" so you can get a idea on how your radio is doing on ssb...plus try and talk as long as possible with the person so you can see if your radio is drifting off frequency...(older Galaxy's were bad about this)

SSB is a little different than AM, as your going to find yourself constantly using the clarifier knobs everytime you try to make a contact...(which is why I don't use ssb in the mobile...it's as bad as texting and driving) SSB on the base is a different story tho...

So do yourself a favor and everyone around you if your in a mobile...only use ssb while sitting in a parking lot!:thumb:

sonoma
02-06-2019, 11:40 PM
Hi JJD, looks like I read what he was asking about channels. having a freq counter on it I assumed he had channels added to it. guess not after rereading what he asked. not sure why some one put a counter on it if he did not have extra channels.
good job JJD.
sonoma

whiteastro
02-07-2019, 05:05 AM
Frequencies on the SSB channels is the same as they are on AM...just different mode...

Now when you go to a ssb channel, like 38lsb for instance, more than likely stations will sound "off frequency" when you first turn to the channel..."This is where you use the Clarifier Knob"...There's two things to turn on the Clarifier...the coarse knob, and the fine knob...

Have both Clarifier knobs turned to 12:00 position... Then when you hear someone that sounds like they are under water or on Helium, turn the "Fine Tune" knob until they sound more human...watch your frequency counter and don't get too far off or you may never get them to sound human.

Like say channel 38 lsb is 27.3850...you may have to fine tune to something like 27.3849 or 27.3847 to get the person you hear to sound normal...or could be 27.3852 etc....

Once you get the person tuned in, try and make your contact....It's always good to ask the person "How you sound" so you can get a idea on how your radio is doing on ssb...plus try and talk as long as possible with the person so you can see if your radio is drifting off frequency...(older Galaxy's were bad about this)

SSB is a little different than AM, as your going to find yourself constantly using the clarifier knobs everytime you try to make a contact...(which is why I don't use ssb in the mobile...it's as bad as texting and driving) SSB on the base is a different story tho...

So do yourself a favor and everyone around you if your in a mobile...only use ssb while sitting in a parking lot!:thumb:

Thanks for setting me straight on the frequency counter JJD and you are absolutely right about using sideband and driving, Very stupid and dangerous. The only reason I would put one in my van is for when I was doing road trips with camping involved. ( Future Plans ) But again Thank you for the info both You and Sonoma And Extra Channels could be a future thing. One step at a time for this Old Country Boy

whiteastro
02-07-2019, 10:40 AM
I did not find a channel chart to show each channel but the link for the mod shows where you get the extrs channels. what I do when I do not have a chart some one has posted I just hook my freq counter to the radio and verify just what each freq it TX ing on. wish I could find more for you but this is all I found.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170817110833/http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx979/dx979_freq_mod.htm

Thanks for the input and link. I have it bookmarked in my CB folder bookmark. Hope to catch you all around the Campus sometime! LOL

mjd420nova
02-07-2019, 03:26 PM
The thing about side band is that it has no carrier being transmitted, so a frequency readout would be irratic. AM is the carrier and both upper and lower sidebands, for side band, upper, lower or even double, the carrier is suppressed or not transmitted. Some models of readouts had provisions to read an intermediate frequency in the radio and display the transmitted frequency.