PDA

View Full Version : New On THis Forum

Bobcat
08-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the access. Handle is Bobcat, name is Bob.
I've been involved but it was a really long time ago. The last few years I have been a member on several forums and really AM trying to do something about getting back on the air.

For one, wayyyyy back in the 70's I went to school a DeVry Institute of Electronics in Dallas (now they call it DeVry University!) for electronics. I worked at JSC Houston for 11 years but found my way to the "dark side" of software and software development.

Now, in my advancing years, I am wanting to get back to my electronic roots. I am getting equipment to set up a radio/electronics bench that will allow me to work on tube guitar amps and radios and do it right. When I get things just a bit tidier and more organized I will be tackling refurb/reconditioning of my SBE Console V, my Sears Roadtalker 40 SSB, and a couple of other radios that I want to get working just for fun.

So anyway, it's good to be aboard. Hope to cross paths with many of you on here!

Bob

AtLarge
08-20-2019, 05:25 PM
Welcome Bob(cat) :-)

Bobcat
08-20-2019, 05:27 PM
Thank you! I hear a LOT of good things about those Bearcat 980s. Do you like yours pretty well??

AtLarge
08-20-2019, 09:09 PM
I like my 980SSB's so much I have two. :300 (147): One upstairs in my living room and one downstairs on my workbench. The stock mic's are just ok but, a power mic really wakes them up!

Bobcat
08-21-2019, 04:35 PM
I've always heard that too!!!!!!!

whiteastro
08-24-2019, 05:59 PM
I like my 980SSB's so much I have two. :300 (147): One upstairs in my living room and one downstairs on my workbench. The stock mic's are just ok but, a power mic really wakes them up!

I just hooked up one of those Wireless microphones on my 980 and they are pretty cool gadget but I haven't had a chance to try it on DX yet but I see a lot of use for it because you can also monitor your radio channel from a distance as well as talk on it!

Bobcat
08-26-2019, 11:29 AM
I had no idea such a thing existed! Do you have a brand name or model?

whiteastro
08-26-2019, 07:02 PM
I had no idea such a thing existed! Do you have a brand name or model?

The microphone is made by or for Uniden model BC906W I got mine at Walmart.com They are made for the 980ssb or I believe the Uniden 880 also. There is info all over the internet for them. I thought I read somewhere that someone hooked it to a Non Uniden radio also but you would have to do some checking on that one.

good Luck

222DBFL
08-27-2019, 05:55 AM
If you will drill the mic hole open a bit it helps with the audio. They are good mics, clean and clear.

whiteastro
08-27-2019, 02:33 PM
If you will drill the mic hole open a bit it helps with the audio. They are good mics, clean and clear.

Thanks for the tip on the mic, I'll check it out sometime when I have a down day. What size hole did you do?

Bobcat
08-27-2019, 04:32 PM
I'm hearing things like this about a LOT of mics.
Some form of "Mechanical Modulation Control" I guess.......

222DBFL
08-27-2019, 04:57 PM
About 1/8” or so. Doesn’t have to be too big as the mic element isn’t that large. It does help though. I bought a 980 long ago and the mic as well. I ended up getting an Icom 746 for SSB use so the 980 went into the closet with the rest of my radios.