PDA

View Full Version : External Speaker hook up

Rusty_S85
10-02-2019, 12:15 PM
I currently have a OE style dash speaker in my truck that with a resistor I was able to get it to a total of 8 ohms to function as a external speaker for my CB.

I am now looking at installing a highliner headliner in my truck and don't need all four of the speaker mounts in the headliner.

I am thinking of using the two center most speakers for CB and just remove the single OE dash speaker I was using.

If I take two 4ohm Rockford speakers and wire them in series to obtain 8 ohms impedeance would there be any problems with this setup?

Im not sure if anyone has done anything like this before, most people I see use the purpose built external speakers. But I used a mono dash speaker in my truck for years with no problem but with this new headliner I cant hook up four more speakers to my oe radio.

Bobcat
10-02-2019, 02:00 PM
The only thing that occurs to me is to tell you to be sure that you hook the speakers up in the same polarity. If they are the same type of speaker hopefully they will have dots on one terminal or the other. Just be sure that on the wire BETWEEN the speakers ... you tie a DOT to a NO DOT. That will have both speakers putting out the same phase. Not sure if you would notice.... so it may not be a big deal.... but technically you want them "in phase".

Rusty_S85
10-02-2019, 07:48 PM
Oh I understand I have done wiring before. Just not real big on stuff like this such as external speakers for a CB. wasnt sure if it was possible to do it this way without doing damage to the CB.

I know I had no problems with the single speaker I am currently using, but been eyeing this highliner headliner for the ability to mount a transmission temp gauge over head along with two push button switches and I can repurpose the over head radio bin to be either a over head storage cubby or I could try and find a old style equalizer but Im running into the problem of as of now my plans result in having 9 wires and not sure how to keep them hidden without drilling a huge hole in the metal roof to pass them through.

On the wires what I need to do is positive wire in to left speaker positive, leaf speaker negative to right speaker positive and right speaker negative back to the negative on the mono jack for the CB.