PDA

View Full Version : Is it Worth the Hassle to Modify Radio ?

Scampcamp
11-03-2019, 07:16 AM
I picked up a used Ranger RCI-2950 & have a Cobra 29 LTD WX Classic.

I'm not a trucker etc... I've always thought CB/AM radio was interesting.

I'd like to put the Cobra in my 98 Chevy Silverado & use the Ranger as my base radio.

Is it worth the trouble having these radios tuned &/or modified? If so.... who's a reputable person that I could send them to?

Thank you.

JesseJamesDallas
11-03-2019, 05:44 PM
If they work for you, I would leave them alone if it were me...want more power out of them, then get a amp and stick inline behind them....

222DBFL
11-04-2019, 04:48 PM
Before you do anything make sure you have a good antenna setup for your base and mobile. Coax, connectors, and a good antenna will do wonders. But it all boils down to whether the conditions are good or bad. Like JJD said, you want more power, add a small amp behind the radio and boost the power that way. Leave the radios stock.

Sticky Fingers
05-07-2020, 06:00 AM
Don't spend your money on your radio if it's working ok already.... a few more watts out of it wont make a bit of difference to anyone you talk to...... you could own the best radio ever and it will still be next to useless if you have a rubbish antenna...... spend your money on good quality antenna's...... as big as you can fit on your car..... then you will be talking...... add a small amp 100 watts is plenty , don't waste your money with all this peak n tune rubbish , your stock standard radio will work just fine..... trust me .

Sneakysnake515
05-20-2020, 01:29 AM
Turn your am modulation lose and am key power down to 3 watts & let it swing crisp clear modulation!